Turkey Hunting NM 36 & 34

hunter101

Hello Fellas, I've done my share of scouting and getting out to the field, however I have not been so successful at locating birds. I'm not asking for any honey wholes etc. Just wanted some tips on what to look for . . . I am more familiar with Unit 36 and 34. What should I be looking for when finding these birds. Below are what I've tried so far.

-Finding water
-Finding Tall Ponderosas
-Finding J Droppings
-Finding Dropped Feathers
-crow calling (especially in the evening and no response)
-I've gotten "gobbling" back towards my hen calls but seems like after 7:00am they dont gobble no more.
- I have tried hiking areas that seemed to fit all the above
But NO birds to be seen . . . Am I doing something wrong?

how far can these birds be out in the mountains without a stream nearby etc? should I be looking for open/grassy areas? Should I shoot more for the top of the hills or in the lower areas? What do you do on a windy day? If you have any photos of what I should be looking for maybe some roosting photos, Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

LAST EDITED ON Apr-11-17 AT 12:55PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Apr-11-17 AT 12:54?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Apr-11-17 AT 12:54?PM (MST)

>Hello Fellas, I've done my share
>of scouting and getting out
>to the field, however I
>have not been so successful
>at locating birds. I'm not
>asking for any honey wholes
>etc. Just wanted some tips
>on what to look for
>. . . I am
>more familiar with Unit 36
>and 34. What should I
>be looking for when finding
>these birds. Below are what
>I've tried so far.
>
>-Finding water
>-Finding Tall Ponderosas
>-Finding J Droppings
>-Finding Dropped Feathers
>-crow calling (especially in the evening
>and no response)
>-I've gotten "gobbling" back towards my
>hen calls but seems like
>after 7:00am they dont gobble
>no more.
>- I have tried hiking areas
>that seemed to fit all
>the above
>But NO birds to be seen
>. . . Am I
>doing something wrong?
>
>how far can these birds be
>out in the mountains without
>a stream nearby etc? should
>I be looking for open/grassy
>areas? Should I shoot more
>for the top of the
>hills or in the lower
>areas? What do you do
>on a windy day? If
>you have any photos of
>what I should be looking
>for maybe some roosting photos,
>Any help would be greatly
>appreciated, Thanks!

Something that I've experienced with public land birds is they will gobble in the mornings from the roost, but once they hit the ground they will hush up.
This is generally for two reasons.
1) They are already with hens. (This is mostly the reason)
2) Because they are pressured birds.

Something to keep in mind though.
Generally the birds will leave their roost, they will breed their hens, and then after that they go out seeking more hens. So I've had a lot of success calling around 9:30-12. This is subjective of course based on location, but this tactic has worked in many of states.

When I can get a bird talking to me in the middle of the day, I have very good chance of getting him to come into my set up.

Do you have snowlines right now in 34 &36?

I know a lot of people who will hunt the snowlines because the turkeys will follow it up. The snow melts and hydrates the ground. So you have nice green grass and bugs!

If you said you've found areas with bird sign, I'd considering focusing on those right now.
What I like to do is get out in the evening and try to find them going to their roost.

If I can watch them roost then I know where I can set up on them the following morning.

If you are finding scat, feathers, tracks, and gobbling birds, then IMO you are close.

Good luck to you!

I have it from a good source you want a decent road, comfortable truck with good brakes, and to be somewhat nimble .......

IccyMan Thank You for the tips, as far as there being snowlines I can't speak for unit 34 since I haven't been there in a minute however in 36 there are areas were the sun really doesn't shine as much and they hold snow/ice year round which start to form small creeks.

live4Muleys - correct I have heard them in the morning just can't see them and in the woods sometimes when you hear them you think they're really close but in reality their like 3 canyons away!

WapitiBob - I hear you man, I had a couple of folks get 3 different toms running up and down country roads with their trucks, but I love packing in man. I like to enjoy a good hike, good setup and make some calls and work them birds just haven't been so successful. Especially with the wind once it starts to kick up around 10:00am or so.

Thank You guys for the quick responses I will keep you guys updated.

Thanks.

I'm the world's worst turkey hunter, but as for locating birds that aren't talking yet, just start hiking through likely looking areas, and check under all of the tall trees that have likely looking roosting branches. When you find a roosting tree there will be piles (and I do mean piles) of turkey poop under it. If there's green ones on top of the pile, you'll know you're in a good area.

hunter101, you just need to keep hunting !! In 36 the birds are where you find them. I horseback up there a lot, spent all day Monday in the wilderness and they are up top and down low I have found them half way up canyons. 36 in places is so rough when hiking especially with all the burnt trees blowing down, sometimes it's hard to look up at the top of a canyon and still want to go but in this unit that's just the way it is.....I'm talking the wilderness and surrounding forest not some private river bottom. There is a good population in there this year but they can be in some tough places. I think as people hunt them they just head on up higher out of the way and you can't hear them. They gobble all day it's just that a lot of guys won't hike to the tops of some of them canyons for a turkey but I see turkeys most every time I'm riding up there. Good luck.

Are you hunting in unit 36? I was there 4 years ago and covered up. But not in the wilderness, hunting close to town in some different places.

jodog -
DoeNob -

I'm not sure if you guys received my PMs that I sent yall, but Im not asking for any honey wholes or anything but I was actually raised in Ruidoso. I'm very familiar with that area in 36 if you havent received my PMs please Inbox me so that I can share some other information as well!

Thanks!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom