Turkey Season

dmick33

Turkey season is coming quick and I have some ideas of where to go but am still new to the state and would like some advice on some ideas of where I might be able to try. I live up north kinda by redding. Thanks.

No, no, there are no turkeys near redding! no, none! LOL

Best bet would be to find some private land to hunt. Heck, just drive around town and you can see turkeys, up and down I-5, 44, ya just gotta get some private land to hunt.

Good luck

Unless you are hunting archery the last week of the season, this info will be a bit late to help. Nevertheless, you will be happy to find that you are surrounded by good turkey country. The difficulty will lie in find access to private land or public lands that are not overrun with other hunters. Most likely you'll end up on public land or private timber company property. Pick a direction and start to explore. The country to the west near Ruth Lake has birds, the mountains and valleys surrounding Lake Shasta have birds, and there are small populations spread from Weed to Davis Creek. If you are young and sure footed, I would forget those areas that everyone knows and concentrate on locating small pockets of birds that you will have to yourself. This will require a bit of time and perspiration, but will pay off in that the birds will return to these areas year after year. I have hunted locally for the past 25 years and still have my best hunts on public lands even though I have had access to private. Key on oak stands--especially where blended with grassy openings. Get way off the beaten path. If you can, spend a few days camped out in likely places so that you will be on location at the crack of dawn to listen for birds. Look for scratch and tracks along dirt roads. This late in the season, you will not hear a lot of gobbling, so it might be wise to wait until next year before getting serious in this effort. Understand that you are beginning a multi-year effort and do not give up just because you don't immediately locate birds. I have seen days when I was surrounded by a half-dozen gobbling birds and then heard absolutely nothing in the same valley for the next several days. Just because you don't hear them doesn't mean they are not there! Good luck.

Oh, and watch out for growers. I am beginning to find a lot more plantations than in years past, but most are abandoned. Nevertheless, use your head and don't become so focused on the birds that you find yourself in a dangerous situation.

All done with No.3 this morning...Finally, thought the heat was never going to break! All bow kills!

http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/5209no_3_(2).jpg

'Ike'

Nice kill George. I was luck enough to take one with my bow in Ky before I left there. I really need to get out in the fall and do some scouting to find some places. I did hunt around that Ruth lake a couple years ago but never heard or saw one. I did find an old grow there and that did raise some hairs. Which is why I also carry more than the shotgun.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom