Turtle hunt?

As some of you may know from my previous posts, I hunt exclusivley archery. Can you tell me what the best archery set up is for turtle hunting and are there different set ups for the different turtle species?

I've been waiting for you to post all morning/afternoon Steve!
Couldn't have asked for a better poster...
for the 500th post on this thread.

chef1.jpg

Chef
"I Love Animals...They're Delicious!"

264Magnum! Is that really you????????

A few of us faithful turtle hunters have been trying to keep the home fires burning. The last we heard, you were on a turtle hunt with a client, and never made it out. We went through a long period of mourning and many bottles of Crown Royal.

You'll have to fill us in with all the details when you get time! But if it's too painful to recall.......we understand!

Steve

At least you guys remembered the Crown Royal.

My client and I were ambushed by a pack of ravenous softshell turtles (I told you they should be part of the Grand Slam). I was stricken with partial amnesia when my client, in a panic induced episode of cowardice knocked me to the ground in his flight back to the chute planes. I guess the turtles thought I was dead, they only eat living flesh. The next thing I know I woke up in kind family's farm house being nursed back to health by their twin 19 year old brunette daughters. I think so anyway, some of it is still a bit fuzzy. After making a full recovery, they brought me back to the city and here I am.

Where is everybodu putting in for this year?

Should we start a contest?
Any picture you take of yourself with any kind of turtle will be judged and we'll see who wins!

Chef

CHEF, ASSUMING YOU EVEN GET DRAWN / YOU MUST HAVE POINTS UP THE CAZOO. WHAT STATE, COME ON TELL ME/ I WONT SQUEAL. YD.

I've got enough landowner tags that I'm pretty much guaranteed to win that contest.

Notice the Turtle on the right... Here is a Recent Duck/Turtle hunt

Dec-05049.jpg

Front view :

Dec24-05002.jpg

Here is a top view :

Dec24-05001.jpg

• [*] -Moosie
~~If you're going to walk on thin ice, Ya might as Well DANCE !!
WALK the TALK, Or shut the HECK UP !!

Looks like a fun time was had by all!
Except the birds and the turtle of course.

Chef

I'm puttin for "the Shells", you know the place where turtles go to die.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

It looks like Moosie is the early leader, and he's already set the bar pretty high! Nice mixed bag Moosie! Did that turtle come into the decoys or were you pass shooting?

Kilbuc, good luck on the "Shell" tag. Tough draw.

264Mag, no "low fence" hunts will be allowed.

I'm still devastated over last years turtle hunt so haven't thought about this year too much. Might get ahold of TurtleQuestConsulting for advice.

Steve

I called my friend that owns the land where most of my turtle hunts take place. A couple of us will be out there this weekend to try and bag a few. I'll take my camera.

"It looks like Moosie is the early leader, and he's already set
the bar pretty high! Nice mixed bag Moosie! Did that turtle
come into the decoys or were you pass shooting?"

To be honest, I didn't have my Turtle call handy the first time
it came by. Bythe time I got my call out it was already past
us. Of course, I was Eating a Dunut so it had 15-20 mins. But
after teh Donut, a quick nap and finding my Call I was Able to
call it back and do the dead. Although I hate to admit it, But
I actually missed it with the first 3 shots and had to reload.
Fortunately I had more "shells" (No pun intended) near by in
the truck. After a short 5 min walk I got more shells and
Caught back up to the turtle and did it in.

Unlike the Turtle, the Geese/ducks were Easy targets.....

• [*] -Moosie

SO MOOSIE, AFTER BEING VERY CRITICAL OF OUR TURTLE POST I SEE NOW YOU JOINED RIGHT IN. IT JUST TAKES SOME LONGER I GUESS, HOWEVER THAT IS A NICE MIXED BAG. THE TURTLE IS A NEAR TROPHY ALSO, WELL DONE SON. DID YOU DRAW THE TAG/ OR LAND VOUCHER. TAKE ER EASY YD.

"AFTER BEING VERY CRITICAL OF OUR TURTLE POST "

Although looking like an Idiot by typing in all caps, you contents parallel your typing.

POST 72 (By Moosie) :

"Yukon, No need to worry about Moosie, I'm sure this post will go down in history and rightfully so. It just backs up my theory and verifies the point I was making with my post.
Carry on, I've actually been on a Turtle hunt and killed some in Louisiana and Texas, but that's neither her nor there. Unlike DK that takes good pictures, mine didn't come out.

Good to see the Humor, for a change, around here."

POST 112 (By Moosie) :

"The day you make me loose something to say is the Day I eat the Sky liver saying it's my "favorite" meal.
Yukon, remember, when this post pasts mine, And I know it will (Or dam better because it at least has some basis to it and Dam funny !!!!) I will still be second. How sorry is that *wink*. Now, If you'd like to continue let's take it to another post and Not ruine this post. (Which would probably be 3rd.. For this is truely the BEST post here I believe and have been laughing my "A" off !!!!"

POST 139 (By Moosie):

"For some reason i would love to see a post on turtle hunting beat the LONGEST POST HERE."

Great to have BIG goals in life ....

THIS POST :

ALL the other Posts I was saying how dumb you are Yukon. And you can Add this post to that count :)

• [*] -Moosie

YEA, I CAN SEE YOUR STILL MAD AT ALL THE FUN WE POKE AT YA. YA REALLY NEED TO LOOSEN UP, AND KEEP YOUR PANTIES OUT OF A WAD. YA JUST DONT GET IT, DO YA. HOWEVER, WE DO STILL LOVE YOU/ NOW YOU TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF. YD. ( i just love the caps ).

Just because you're an Idiot, doesn't mean I don't get it.

Go shoot a turtle.

• [*] -Moosie

Who's panties are wadding now ?

Continue your turtle talk.... But I haven't seen you with any, Walk to talk BEOTCH !!!! :) :)

HAHA !!

• [*] -Moosie

>Continue your turtle talk.... But I
>haven't seen you with any,
>Walk to talk BEOTCH !!!!
>:) :)
>
>HAHA !!

Sorry YD, but I think he's got you there.

YAWN ? Hehe, All I'm saying is I haven't seen you with a turtle yet and You've probably made over half the posts in ths topic. It's like Wearing a Football jersy and having a Game ball and yelling from the bench. Sure you're there but :

1. The game would go on if you weren't there.
2. No-one would care if you didn't show up.
3. Even though you yell at the players the only response you get is when Someone wants something like water.

Get me some Water, Water boy :)

• [*] -Moosie

LAST EDITED ON Jan-13-06 AT 06:13PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jan-13-06 AT 06:12?PM (MST)

REALLY GOT MOOSE BOYS PANTIES IN A WAD THIS TIME, HEHE!!! I DO SEEM TO HAVE MASTERED PUSHING MOOSE BOYS BUTTONS, BFE IS STILL THE CHAMP THOUGH. NOW I GOTTA GO, I HAVE BIGGER FISH TO FRY. GO BACK TO PUNKTALK AND TRY TO BREATH SOME LIFE INTO THAT SITE. OH, AND OSCAR STOP MAKING SUCH A HUGH TARGET OF YOURSELF. LEAVING FOR THE LEFT COAST, DAIL ME BACK UP TUESDAY EVE./WE'LL HAVE SOME MORE FUN. YD.

"Although I hate to admit it, But
I actually missed it with the first 3 shots and had to reload.
Fortunately I had more "shells" (No pun intended) near by in
the truck. After a short 5 min walk I got more shells and
Caught back up to the turtle and did it in.

Unlike the Turtle, the Geese/ducks were Easy targets....."

"Turtle fever" can get to the best of us! Way to rebound Moosie!

264Mag, no Crown Royal this time! Last time you were gone for months!:) Take some good pictures.

Steve

Ellgrass, thanx for the Confidence, I was a little worried I couldn't come through but with dedication I knew it would happen !!!

Hey D|ck nutz, notice how the other guys can at least stay on topic.... And not have to edit a Post back to back 3 times. You might have my Button (NOT) but you're still an Idiot. :)

"LAST EDITED ON Jan-13-06 AT 06:13 PM (MST)"
"LAST EDITED ON Jan-13-06 AT 06:12 PM (MST)"

Go away Water boy !!!!

• [*] -Moosie

"YAWN ? Hehe, All I'm saying is I haven't seen you with a turtle yet and You've probably made over half the posts in ths topic."

Well Moosie, looks like you're doing your best to catch up with his number.

Did you and your cronies ever try to take over the PETA forums? I never got my invite.

I knew I should have never Checked that "Recieve Email" notification on my last post, you guys keep replying and I have to come back to look, I might have to leave it off from here on out... OK, I'll do it one more time ;)

No, I stayed away from the PETA site, I had a Few things come up and got busy. Anyone following my Schedule, you laugh but I rely on others to remind me of schedules sometimes :) ... knows I do more then make BFE and Yucknutz look bad :) It might be a Fun activity though if I get board this winter......

Although, I just picked up some more land in the hills with a little view :

1view_lt.JPG

Here is the Back view, Notice anything in it ?

elk_298027.JPG

Maybe if I zoom in....

elk2_356119.jpg

No turtles on that land or the other piece I picked up last year but they might still be a fun place to go visit on the weekends.

This is the other place and I tought my Kids how a Boyscout lights fires last year :

DSCF0504.jpg

DSCF0506.jpg

I have some Cool Igloo pictures we made on it in the winter but I'll have to Upload them.......

I might have time to Bug Peta though....Well see.... :)

• [*] -Moosie

Just got back from my turtle hunt. I didn't fill my tag. Hell, nobody filled their tags. I did bag a couple trophy class milk jugs, though. And my friend's dad nearly got a coyote with his Kahr 9mm.

Thought some of you guys might think these pics are worth looking at. The first one is a satellite photo of the land most of my turtle hunts take place. The red line is the property boundry. The 5 red dots are the locations of my stands for deer hunting. The second photo is the mighty 264 Win Mag with the pond in the background.

43c97c106da79822.jpg

43c97c656de89d9a.jpg

Classic looking turtle country there Kyle. Have you ever taken a turtle from any of your deer stands? Or maybe a better question, have you ever taken a deer from one of your turtle stands?:)

By the way, I wonder what PETA would think of turtle hunting? They might see the humor in it and join in! Something tells me they might not understand though.........LOL!

Steve

I know we're talking about huntin' but this months Fur-Fish-Game has the plan for a turtle trap. My favorite method of take was full camo with a sixpack and a 9' ocean rod in the middle of the night with a bluegill for bait. Yes it is legal to bait snappers in Ks.(check your local game laws to see if it is legal in your State.)

Sirfilbert......thanks for the info. Sounds fun!

If you're going to pack around a 9' ocean rod in Kansas I'm sure you must get some curious looks from the town folks!

Steve

EELGRASS, If you are seen in Kansas with a 6-pack and an ocean rod, I'm sure every red blooded native of the state will know what your up to. Heck you might be persuaded to take a few more hunters with the right equipment along,know what I mean?

Of course everyone knows what you're up to. The ocean rod is for those big ol' river cats and the six pack is to lessen the blow of ol' Mr. Turtle taking the bait instead of the cat.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-26-06 AT 08:09PM (MST)[p]I was bowhunting for turtles in southern Idaho awhile back. I was in my treestand. I had been there for 9-10 hours, It was dark, And i saw some movement from the left, to find out it was a galapogos tortise! it had to have scored at least 180. I drew my bow back, read to shoot. I put the arrow right square into the tortise's shell. I got on my two way radio and called my brother from the ridge over to come take a look at him, to see if he was still alive because my brother had the gun (in case the tortise would attack). As my brother neared the tortise, he poked it a couple times with the barrel of his 22-250. Right as he yelled "you can come down now" the galapogos tortise bit my brothers testiculars off! So, my brother gathered up is leftover strength and shot the giant tortise in the head with is varmint gun. Moral of story, wear a TITANIUM JOCK STRAP!

Tortise hunting is a totally different experience than turtle hunting!!

Well gentlemen.
I'm back from an excursion here in AZ.
I came upon a couple of fine specimens of turtle.
One was huge and snuck behind some grass to hide.
The other was the famous stone turtle.

I was using my DCTRTLE50 to take pics with the 3 mile zoom.
DSC03911.jpg

DSC03912.jpg

DSC03914.jpg

DSC03915.jpg

DSC03916.jpg

DSC03945.jpg

DSC03943.jpg

Chef

This thread has been an on going on for over a year now all because of eelgrass.
Well what's next Steve on your "exotic hunts"?

Brian

This thread is 1 year and eight days old as of today!!

:9:9:9:9:9:9:9:9:9:9:9:9

Chef
"I Love Turtles...They're Delicious!"

Archer16....that's a great turtle (tortise) hunting story. Brother or no brother, I would have stayed in the tree too! Titanium jock strap is on my list for next year.

Chef....good find! I really like that rock turtle. Pictures turned out good!

Brian....I'm willing to accept responsibility for my share of this post, but I'm not entirely to blame. When 264Magnum first stated that he hunts turtles in the off season (over a year ago) I feel that if you moderators had done the right thing and nuked his post, we wouldn't be where we are today!:)

Steve

That thing looks MEAN! I almost feel sorry for the little box turtles in your neck of the woods! Naaaaa.

Remember to always keep a loaded clip for emergencies.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-17-06 AT 01:31PM (MST)[p]Just thought that it was time for me to add to this classic post so here are a few turtles from around North Dakota (homage to the best turtle hunting in the country).

Giant turtle made form car rims
car_rim_turtle.jpg

This girl is taking her lfe in her hands!
Turtlelake2.jpg

actually in the town of Turtle Lake ND, where the National Championships of Turtle Racing are held every year (I'm not kidding)

Everyone needs to be more careful while out tutle hunting now that they have figured out how to run snowmobiles (I hope he's not thinking of taking that thing into a wilderness area).
Snowmobileturtle.jpg

Keep the Sun at Your Back and the Wind in Your Face

Guys,

I've spent the past year trying to infiltrate the underground poaching ring that these so-called turtle hunters have been running in my area. It hasn't been easy, and the results are shocking. It's really a bigger deal than most people realize. It all came down one night, and we took 3 individuals into custody, along with multiple weapons and vehicles.

As usual, it came down to the criminals getting lazy. They started out hunting like most turtle hunters, but as they realized the tremendous income potential that trophy turtles bring, their greed got the best of them. You guessed it, spotlighting, roadhunting, the whole works. I think the best item we confiscated from them was their road hunting vehicle, which they referred to as the Decoy...

44231dea45905b45.jpg

I'm just glad we got to them before BOBCATBESS found them poaching in his area...

Great work BUGLELK! I know protecting our turtle herds can be a thankless job at times. We appriciate your dedication and tireless efforts. I hope the judge throws the book at these low-lifes! Keep us posted!

Steve

LAST EDITED ON Mar-24-06 AT 01:32PM (MST)[p]Great job BUGLE! That's awesome. Turtle poachers are the worst kind. They just had a roundup here in our area too. Didn't find any turtles but plenty of sheds. It seems that the sheds are very valuable - they can be used as aphrodisiacs or hard-hats in third world countries. Did I ever tell you guys the my Great-great grandad once herded a herd of turtles from Texas to Montana? Some famous author wrote a book based loosely on the journey. They were former Texas Rangers and had a ranch in South Texas with some of the best stock of turtles around. They started out in 1882 from their ranch near the town of "Lovelorn Quail" (some say it is the same ranch frequented by the famous Quail hunter Cheney). It took them nearly 15 years to cross the Brazos River. My Great-great grandad died but then his son took up the cause and in 1922 they had crossed Oklahoma. My grandad also helped out as a young man but when WWII broke out he left the herd in the plains of Kansas to fight for his country and of course, his beloved turtles. They privatized the herding in the early 50's and in 1987 their company was bought out through a rather rough and nasty coporate takeover by Enron and PetSmart. They were only using it as a ruse however to cover up other nefarious deals but the herd continues to this day. Though now, there are only two lonely herders remaining. It looks like they will finally reach Montanna somtime next year. Awesome story.

ROY
"Nothing is cuter than a turtle head poking out!"

WHOO HOO POST #550!

Roy,

You're not going to believe this! My Grandmother was born in Dodge City, Kansas and she remembers when the turtle herd passed through town! She said Main Street was closed off for 72 days! A band of outlaws tried to rustle part of the herd but were caught 2 weeks later less than a block away!

Maybe that's what she meant when she said "times were a lot slower back then"

Steve

Nice try Kyle, but don't you think we should tell them the truth? It's bound to come out now that Kilowatt let the cat out of the bag.

In about 1975 a family from Oklahoma was out visiting Yellowstone Park. Little Johnny refused to go on vacation without his pet Oklahoma Box Turtle. You guessed it! While in Yellowstone Park the turtle escaped. No big deal you say? HA!

Enter 1995 and the reintroduction of the wolf into Yellowstone. What you see now is the product of a male turtle and a female wolf. Once the Oklahoma Box Turtle(OBT) kills the Alfa male wolf, it earns the right to mate with all the females in the pack.(just like the human population does in Oklahoma today)

Scientists are fearful that what we see here today is just the tip of the iceberg. Given the prolific breeding capacity of the wolf and the aggressive libido of the OBT, well you can see where this is headed. The prediction is that within 10-15 years no pure strain of wolf will exist anywhere in the U.S. As of now there appears no way to stop it!

Steve

Hey, what is it with knocking the good folks from Oklahoma. You know we wouldn't have a pet turtle. We would obviously fatten it up and then cook the little sucker. Your story is nothing but lies.

EELGRASS report

Recently someone that regularly posts on this site reported a missing baseball in the DEERKING update thread. It was determined that the lost ball ended up in the turtle hunt thread. Further investigation proved that Eelgrass may have some knowledge of its wereabouts. Saddly, when it was found that Eelgrass may have had something to do with its illigal harvest, he admitted to poaching said baseball. Eelgrass has contributed greatly to this turtle hunting forum and it is hoped that he will continue to post on the turtle thread.
ismith

RE: EELGRASS report

COME ON! Eelgrass did not poach that baseball! This is truly a case of mistaken identity. Clyde - Albert Pujols poached your baseball. In fact - he did it with a blunt object made of ash and he hit it so hard, it is still travelling. It may land sometime in the next day or two. NASA is calculating its trajectory and estimates that it will land somewhere in the Austrailian Outback, just north of Alice Springs. If you go to look for it - LOOK OUT FOR THE AUSTRAILIAN FRESH-WATER TURTLE! They are some bloody mean buggers. In fact there was a movie made about one of their most famous hunters (also speculated to have been a poacher) you know - TERRAPIN DUNDEE! aka TURTLEKING here on MM.com. TK was out looking for a baseball that Mark McGwire poached (it was a little farther north than where Pujol's will land because as everyone knows - he was on roids - never admitted it and no proof - but we all know!) anyway this monster killer freshy capsized his 46' boat and then drug him under the water for a "death roll" but he was so big his shell caught on the bottom of the river and TK was able to escape to a nearby abandoned Land Rover. The turtle was relentless and came after Dundee anyway. He had to hypnotize a herd of water buffalo to stall the mighty turtle so he could have enough time to overhaul the engine, convert some sand to fuel using a magnifying glass, a cup of urine and a discarded Foster's beer can (Austrailian for beaker). The turtle totally demolished the herd of hypnotized buffalo but TK was able to escape in the nick of time. I have never met TK but I have talked with him several times here in the MM chat room and he has even given me great advice on stalking turtles and has offered to help me out on a hunt at no cost to me (at least not for the first 36 months, but after that my monthly payment will only be $799.99 at 28% interest). Even though I have never met him, I consider him a friend and he is welcome at my campfire anytime, or to look for my baseball.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

It may very well be that Albert Pujols poached the baseball.....yes, that's it!

In any event, since last night (on the advise of Safarikid) I have "lawyered up". So any questions regarding my involvement must be directed to my lawyer. Tomorrow I will take an independent lie detector test. My lawyer said it will be rigg......I mean he said it will prove my innocence. Let me just say that I feel sorry for clyde and I hope he can be reunited with his baseball very soon.

Steve

Me too!! its been only a couple days and I'm missing it very much. I'm not x( but very very :-(. It was my first homerun in teeball when I played for the flying turtles. My whole team signed it and everything. That same day I took that ball to the movie theater and watched teenage mutant ninji turtles. That's a day I'll never forget. I was the hometown hero that day and it would mean the world to me if it was returned. I'm offering a free turtle hunt up here in lake washington to whomever retuns it.

Thanks alot,
Clyde Barrow

LAST EDITED ON Apr-18-06 AT 07:28PM (MST)[p]Clyde!......did you say a FREE TURTLE HUNT?

I just fired my lawyer, and your baseball is in the mail!

I have some awesome turtle decoys, should I bring them?

I'm sorry I poached your baseball. I'm glad you forgive me!

When does the season open?

Man this is the best news........:)

Steve

AND NOW YOU ADMIT TO POACHING A TURTLE AS WELL???????????? KATIE BAR THE DOOR!!!!!!!! WE HAVE US A TURTLE/BASEBALL POACHER HERE!!!!!!!!!!IM SSSSSSSOOOOOOO MAD. IM GOING TO RANT AND RAVE, PISSING AND MOANING. YEAH......MAYBE ILL EVEN PISS SOME FOLKS OFF AND THEN SEND THEM LOVE LETTERS. IM A TAX LAWYER!!!!!!THAT MEANS I GET THE TRUTH OUT OF PEOPLE!!!!
SAFARIPUNK74

Man I'm sooooo happy you have my baseball!!!! Turtle season is open, well lets just say it's open. We hunt them with our bows, it's more of a challenge that way. My new titanium shell piercing broadheads should be here soon. Let me know when your coming.

Clyde

In the May 2006 issue of Outdoor Life there is an honest to goodness article on turtle hunting. The fool actually catches them with his bare hands!

Turtle hunting has gone big time! No stopping it now! I suspect Cabelas and Bass Pro will jump on the wagon shortly.

Steve

LAST EDITED ON May-22-06 AT 07:28AM (MST)[p]Yeah - I've heard about that dude, he is one tough hombre for sure but that is nothing compared to the way Yukon Dall hunts them. He uses a fly as a lure. You might remember he told us about his special "fly" lure on the "Tatoos" post earlier in the month (http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID5/7638.html).

Anyway he just dangles his fly lure in the water and pretty soon one of them big 'ol snappers will come up to snap it off and all off a sudden his fly turns into an eagle and he knocks them out, or pokes them in the eye. It is quite a sight to see, though two guys should definitely not hunt turtles together in this same fashion. However the rare Brokeback Turtle with the pink tafeta and silver sequined shell is hunted this way by two and three guys all at once, but I don't agree with "party hunting" like that. All in all - this is definitely the most risque or risky way to hunt turtles. Yeah, that guy in Outdoor Life ain't got nothing on ol' YD!

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

ROY, PARTY HUNTING IS OUT DUDE....UNLESS THE LOCAL CALI. GALS WANT TO DO A LITTLE SNIPE HUNTIN. GOTTA WATCH MY STEP AROUND THE TURTLE PONDS FOR SURE, KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY...YD.

M1 Garand, pile of surplus ammo, sit on the hill overlooking a turtle infested pond. When the head breaks the surface shoot a couple inches behind. Calculate the height the turtle flys through in the air. Most air wins the Snicker bar.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom