Unit 15 3rd muzzeloader

Obsession

I'm headed out to 15 next weekend for the last muzzeloader hunt and it's the first time I've been out there at this time of the year. I always hunt the bow hunts but because I had knee surgery this year, I had to wait and hunt later in the year. I was just hoping any of you guys could just help in giving me an idea of what to expect on this hunt. Maybe typical elk behavior for this time of year in that area. I haven't been able to go down there as I've had other hunts going on. So those of you that had the second muzzeloader hunt, you would be the most helpful to giving me some idea of how the elk are behaving. I've talked to a few people already that have been on this hunt before and I've gotten mixed responses. So I hope this post will help clear that up. Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide. Any hunt in this unit is a good one and I hope to get enough responses to help me have opportunities to be successful.

Hey sneekey thanks again for all your help. There were a lot of people that helped me with just getting ready for this hunt as it was my first muzzeloader hunt. So before I go in telling my story I just wanted to thank sneekey again for all his help with bullets to encouragement, my buddy Robert who answered my million questions, and Anthony who I texted and messaged numerous times about this third hunt. Thanks guys.

This third hunt was difficult because the bulls were really tucked away and in those deep canyons away from everything. I hadn't seen much until Sunday morning when I was able to get on fresh tracks in the snow. It was really windy and raining and snowing Sunday morning which made it tough to stick it out. I personally love the snow and being able to hunt in it this past weekend made it that much more enjoyable.

However, my dad and I got on some fresh tracks that crossed a back road we were walking and trailed them on top of a pretty steep ridge. Once we got to the top my dad was able to glass a herd of elk across the next ridge that had a pretty nice bull. While we were on top, the wind had to be whipping at least 40 mph with snow. Being that it was a muzzy hunt I could not shoot across the canyon. So my dad and I got down the ridge and started our way up to where we saw the bull. I am still in shock at the fact that we got into the herd because we had cows above us and small spikes bedded below us. Finally, after what seemed like an hour of tip toeing through the rocky ledge, I got 73 yards away from the bull. Long story short, I shot him 4 times after reloading each time while running behind him. He was a tough bull that I am so blessed and lucky to have harvested as my first bull. Those of you that had the first muzzy hunt, I'd like to see your bulls as a buddy of mine drew that hunt and was not able to go.

7270image.jpg

1363image.jpg

Beautiful bull! Persistence pays off. Way to stick it out through those rough conditions and get the job done. Also awesome hearing how helpful and wonderful our fellow MM'ers are to the community. Y'all really help out a lot and have made so many people achieve such blessed memories, much like this gentlemen and his bull.

Congrats again!

Great bull! You definitely worked hard for that bull. What do you have planned for those antlers? Euro? Mount?

Sneekey

Sneekey

I'm going to do a euro mount. My brother actually got bugged at me that I wasn't going to do a shoulder mount. I'm only going to do a full shoulder mount if I get lucky enough to kill one of those big boys that they say run around there.

Congratulations, good looking bull that you obviously earned! Euro mount will be great, you can always get it shouldered later if you get your hands on a decent cape.

Steep

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom