Unit 17 deer

Obsession

I was hunting the first deer hunt in unit 17 with my dad and brother this year and had little luck finding some nice bucks. Not many people I have asked had much experience deer hunting in this unit. This was hard to deal with when unit 17 is listed as a quality unit for deer. We went scouting a few times, made a huge effort to learn an area we had never been in before, and saw a few nice deer. However by the time we were done hunting in unit 15 for elk, the deer were pressured quite a bit. Did anyone have any luck during the first hunt? I am now sitting, waiting till January, when my deer hunt starts. I understand the early hunts are quite different than the later hunts so I'm here asking for help. I've never been in unit 17 deer hunting in January so I'd like to hear from anyone who has had past experience. I understand that a lot of people come on here asking for help on hunts, however I'm not asking for any honey hole spots. I'm just a law abiding hunter asking for help from those generous individuals willing to do so. If you don't have personal experience but can point me in the direction of someone who does, that'll do also. I thank you in advance and I hope to hear back from you all soon! Thanks

Call Storm Usrey , he was stationed there for 7 years but is now in Gallup.The Game and Fish will give you his number and he has been very helpful to many a hunter...Leave him a message but he will get back to you...Best of luck...

I have hunted 17 a couple of times during January, and a couple of times during the rifle hunts. There are good bucks and they become more visible during January. Last time I hunted there in January, we were seeing 50-80 Deer per day, while others that we were bumping into were only seeing a few. My advice is to Glass, Glass, Glass.... Mount decent optics on a tripod, find a good vantage point, and sit until you absolutely can't do it anymore. Bucks just appear out of that country. Hiking the canyons, and casually glassing is only minimally effective, especially with archery equipment. I hunted 8 days last time and saw over 20 4X4 bucks, and a couple of really solid ones.

Good Luck!!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom