Unit 171-173 Deer

Rando

A buddy and I drew late season rifle for deer and would love to hear some thoughts or advice on this unit? We will be hunting Oct 31-Nov 5 (the late season begins a little earlier, but that is as soon as we can get there).
Not looking for "honey holes"... Just some general info if willing? I have spent a little time in the unit and feel pretty familiar with the lay of the land. I am 44 and willing to do my fair share of walking.
ANY thing one is willing to share would much appreciated!
Thanks,
Rando

Have winter gear, it's a cold windy sucker. Plan on glassing and hiking in the wilderness area. I was disapointed in the quality of the unit.

I have had the good fortune of drawing this tag twice. Cold yes, be prepared, but I disagree with the other post about the quality of hunt. This is always one of my choices now. It is a tough hunt. As in most units, the further from roads and people, the more game you'll see. I only saw one bruiser in two seasons. My guess is 26"-28". I don't think you'll find the size of horns like eastern Nevada, but good deer are in here. Consider a drop camp or setting up a local wrangler for packing out. Remember gamecarts are not allowed in wilderness areas. Send me a PM if you want more info.

Hey guy's my dad drew this same area and same late season hunt as the original poster and wonder if anyone would be willing to share the same tips/info about the area to me as well. My dad is planning a scouting trip and will be contacting the biologist for more info but if anyone who has first hand knowledge of the area and places to avoid that would be great.

I hunted the archery season 5 years or so ago , we would see 10 to 30 bucks a day, but I bet that changes by rifle season. By the end of the archery season they were starting to bunch up in the huge mazes of mahoganies making it all most impossible to put a archery stalk on them.

I will be archery hunting this unit this year. First time in the unit, hunting with someone who has a lot of experiance in it but hasn't hunted it in quite a while. From what I have been reading in past posts here about the unit, it doesn't seem like people have had much luck in the past 5 or so years. Hope that isn't the case but we will see here in a little under a month.

Anyone been scouting in the area and see anything worth a darn?
We went out Fathers day weekend just to get the lay of the land. Focus really wasn't on finding deer, but did see one buck that was gonna be a decent one.

Love to hear from anyone else who might have some insight?

Appreciate what I have heard from others already!
Thanks!
Rando

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom