Unit 171-173 reports?

Rando

Any archery hunters have any reports regarding unit 17? Seeing many bucks? How's the water situation? Any success?
I have an early season rifle tag and have not had a chance to get out and scout. Any feedback would be appreciated!
Thank you!
Rando

Anyone?
Anything to share?
Throw me a bone... ;-)
Gonna be there for the rifle opener on 10/5, and plan on hunting in the Arc Dome Wilderness. Hunted there back in 2006 and had a great hunt. Saw lots of bucks, but only one "shooter"...but my standards were higher that year! Hoping to find a 155+ this year.
Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks.

I'll be there for the opener also. I did a quick scouting trip 6 weeks ago. In the area I looked over, there seemed to be less deer. Was drier than normal too. I'll probably be in the wilderness. I didn't make it in there last year. But over the past 10 years, the quality seems to be slipping. We'll see what happens!

Don P

Thanks Don!
Good luck to you!
I will be camping over in the Leadbetter Canyon area and drive a grey GMC with a grey camper shell. Tent camping. Stop in if you see me!
Appreciate your feedback.
Rand

Hey Rand. How did 17 treat you? It was tough for me. I spent a couple of days poking around outside of the wilderness. Ended up having to backpack into the Arc Dome. Was the driest I've ever seen it. We didn't make it in as far as I'd have liked. I killed the biggest buck that we saw. Might think about getting packed in next time.

795220141008_205144_resized.jpg

Don P

Congrats Don!
My hunt was a tough one... As you well know, the heat and full moon made it tough.
I had two good buddies help me out over 4.5 days of hard hunting. Went into the wilderness at the top of Leadbetter on opening day and worked my way in quite a ways toward Peavine Mtn. Only saw two small bucks that day. was inside the wilderness from dark till dark!
Went in from Cow Canyon on day two and hiked all the way down to Reese River and around up into Beeson Creek. Saw very few deer and no bucks... Until that evening when we saw 13 deer in one group with two small bucks.
Back into wilderness at top of Leadbetter on Day 3 and, worked our way around to the SouthEast...only saw 5 does and came out of wilderness at midday.
Found a spot to glass outside the wilderness that night and spotted a really great quality buck. He was too far to shoot, or close on that night, so,we decided he would be the buck to focus on for the next two days. Really thought we stood a good chance at seeing him as he was far off any roads and was just feeding that evening without being bothered.
I am CERTAIN that no one else spooked him, but we never turned him up again.
Great camping weather, but poor hunting weather.
What a tough, grueling unit! Big unit with tons of ground for those big bucks to hide in.
We bumped into a father and son who were looking for a doe to fill the kids Jr. Tag...and they hadn't seen a single doe (from the roads)from Sunday morn thru Tuesday afternoon. We did see them up Leadbetter later on Tuesday evening and they had shot a doe.
Did you see many bucks? See any other hunters?
Thanks for following up!
Rand

I looked around a few different spots. The Shoshones, Ledbetter, and Peavine. We saw a few bucks in the Shoshones. Nothing good. We saw the most bucks in Ledbetter. Probably 10-12 bucks. Still nothing good. Peavine was doe city. Tons of does. This was only the 2nd buck we found in there. I passed him originally, but later decided to take him when he came down the hill mid day. I think that if we would have gotten farther up the mountain, we would have found a better buck. Quality has slipped, but I'd rather draw a tag, then collect points.

Don P

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom