Unit 201 Colorado

R

RMA

I drew this archery tag this year. Anyone hunted it after years of drawing and finally getting the tag? Any information or help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Good Luck... There will be so many bulls screaming and elk going everywhere, it will make a grown man cry in confusion.

IN all honesty be mobile look high and low sort out the bull your after and work for him. The really issue is not finding a bull, but getting through the other 5-6 other bulls and his cows to get a shot. I have never actually hunted the unit but have been there in the rut and it is crazy. On one day we heard our 1st bugle at 6:00 in the morning and never went more than 5 minutes at a time the entire day without hearing a bugle.

Really the key is sorting out a good bull and working on him and ignoring all the others.

I have hunted unit 201's close cousin next door (unit 2) 5 times in the past 10 years---3 times with a bow. The bulls will be going crazy the last 2 weeks in September, especially 9/20 thru the end of the month---that's when you definitely want to be there---that's when the really big ones show up---although I did kill a 358 bull on 9/12 one year. Unit 2 and 201 are amazing units. No hunting pressure, plenty of public land, and very callable bulls. Just don't shoot the first 320 inch bull that shows up. What would make you happy with and how long can you hunt? Also, how many years did it take you to draw??? I am curious. I am from Wisconsin and have been hunting with landowner permits. Congratulations on drawing a great tag!

Bryan-Wisconsin

Congratulations on your tag, we have hunted and guided 2,10 and 201 for the last 25 years, if you would like some help please let us know.
Thanks,
Chris
cjoutfitters.com

It took me 13 pts to draw as a resident guessing I got the hybrid tag. I didn't think I would draw for another 10 years. I plan on holding out for a bull around the 350" range. Presently I have 16 field days scheduled to be in the field.

RMA
I drew the 201 Archery tag this year as well. Took me 19 points as a Res. Should be an EPIC hunt for both of us. I've been out a couple of times already and saw lots of bulls, but no whoppers yet. Lots of bulls is a major under statement. I saw 32 bulls in one bachelor group feeding in the open at 2:00 in the afternoon. Ton's of crappy top end 6 x 6 bulls that will be in the 300 to 320 range once they shed their velvet.

We should get on the phone some...I'm heading up the weekend of Aug 6th. I've heard the bigger bulls wouldn't be there until later. I HOPE that is correct as what your seeing is nice but NOT great by any means.

RMA

My previous post was supposed to be Crabby 6 x 6 no crappy.

I am headed back up 201 myself the weekend of August 10 & 11. I just got my new Swarovski STX 65 Spotting Scope in the mail this week, so I can't wait to put it to the first test.

I'm heading up on the 16th my research says the bigger bulls don't come until later to rut.

>RMA
>
>My previous post was supposed to
>be Crabby 6 x 6
>no crappy.
>
>I am headed back up 201
>myself the weekend of August
>10 & 11. I just
>got my new Swarovski STX
>65 Spotting Scope in the
>mail this week, so I
>can't wait to put it
>to the first test.

How did your weekend go?

bostaker,RMA
how did you guys do on your hunts?
I have 19 res points this year 2014 and wondering
trace

I called in a TON of NICE bulls and a couple MONSTERS but the wind blew 20+ mph each day and then snow came in. I either got busted on the ground calling for myself or it was just too windy with a bow. A guy rear-ended my truck and it was totalled opening weekend so I couldn't take all the gear I needed and once winter storm blew in I had to get off the mountain.

No but man it was a BLAST...I only heard of one guy who took one while I was there and it wasn't big for that unit.

>No but man it was a
>BLAST...I only heard of one
>guy who took one while
>I was there and it
>wasn't big for that unit.
>

Damn that is a bummer. Wish I would have known. I could
D have helped you out somehow.... At the very least loaned you a jeep to hunt in the snow with.

What did you see for deer? Any big bucks?

>>No but man it was a
>>BLAST...I only heard of one
>>guy who took one while
>>I was there and it
>>wasn't big for that unit.
>>
>
>Damn that is a bummer. Wish
>I would have known. I
>could
>D have helped you out somehow....
>At the very least loaned
>you a jeep to hunt
>in the snow with.
>
>What did you see for deer?
>Any big bucks?

I second that, any big bucks? I drew 2nd rifle 201

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom