Unit 24 Elk

LoveBigRacks

Curious what experience anyone might have hunting elk in 24. I think I saw llamapacker's wife has a tag in there this year and would be interested in how she does if you're willing to share. Buddy and I are looking to apply there next year with max -1 and have been researching the unit for a while. Hunted antelope in the ajoining unit a year or two back, looked like good country but would love to talk with someone who has been in there during the elk hunt. Happy to exchange info if I can help out.

LBR

Not to be a downer but if you're 1 point under max you're gonna be stuck with trying to draw one of the random tags for quite a while and that's not much of a chance. Last year in the in the regular price random it was 4 tags for 225 apps and the special was 3 tags for 46 apps. Your best odds are going to be less than 10%. There are far more max point holders than available tags. Being 1 less than max really makes it tough in the higher demand units.

I agree with OCD. If you have less than max it could be a 5-10+ year wait for that tag. If you are putting in for the special your odds definately go up though......

I'm also max-1, lots of units are simply out of reach at my age. 24 being one I looked at and had to give up on.

Appreciate the feedback guys. I was under the impression we had a solid chance in the special draw but better take another look at the numbers. On the flip side it must be good country if max-1 won't cut it.

Kinda set on an above average archery hunt and open to suggestions especially if anyone has insight on trespass fee areas....not looking to drop $6K on wilderness hunt though. Again, willing to trade info.

As mentioned, I will be hunting this unit with my wife this fall. We've spent a lot of time scouting, and think we are starting to learn the habits of the elk. There is a good population, and we have seen a number of bulls in the 300 pt range, but the truly large bulls have been non-existent so far. Perhaps that will change. We are beginning to set our sights a bit lower, however, as a 350 bull has yet to be spotted. There are lots of people on the mountain every weekend, and I didn't know this was such a popular spot for non-hunters. We have had some good fishing nearby, and enjoyed our scouting trips. Will posts updates as the hunt progresses. There are some cow hunters in the unit now, and I won't scout much more for a couple weeks.
Bill

Yer doing better than I did if yer seeing a number of 300 class bulls. When I had that tag a few years ago, I counted 54 bulls while scouting and during the archery season. I only saw one 300 class bull. Made the decision to shoot the first respectable 6 point I saw come rifle season. The G&F manages that area strictly for opportunity. If you see a good bull, I wouldn't pass on it...

If you are willing to pay the special fee, it looks like the odds for one less than max this season was 33%.

My Dad and I have been trying to draw this unit for a while and he says he just wants to pay the special fee next year and go (assuming the odds don't change). We certainly aren't people of means, but we need to go elk hunting and quit daydreaming about it, so I am just going to save some extra money between now and January.

Good luck to those with the tag this year.

Well, the archery season came and went with nothing more than close calls, and the rifle season in unit 24 is now about half way through. We are done, however, as my wife shot her bull on opening morning. We never really did find any monsters, although there are a lot of elk and a high percentage of bulls. Shooting a bull was never really in doubt, but we finally set our sights on anything over 300", and were able to achieve that goal.
4485857.jpg

It has snowed the last week of September, and for a couple days leading up to the rifle opener we had winds from 40-50 MPH all day and night. It made the hunting / scouting difficult and really kept the elk in the timber. It also made for restless nights as the camper shook violently all night long.

Not 30 minutes into the rifle opener, I hooked a tire on the ATV and broke the bead on the rim, leaving us with a completely flat tire and several miles from camp. I sent my wife over the ridge to watch a clearing while I scratched my head about how to reseat the tire with just a little 12V top off air compressor and very few tools. About 15 minutes into this 30 minute job, I heard my wife shoot over the ridge. All thoughts of fixing the ATV tire soon left, and I ran over the ridge to find her with this bull. She repeatedly said she didn't think she had to wait for my approval to shoot this guy, as we had seen few much better in several weeks of scouting and hunting. She was also quite pleased to have taken the bull without my help, or anyone else. This is her third bull over 300", although she has taken many smaller bulls and cows over the years.
8796844.jpg

5492852.jpg

Overall this is a decent unit and a quality hunt, but not really the trophy unit I had been led to believe. From what we saw, not many people were taking elk this size, and a lot of 5x5's and raghorn 6's were hitting the ground. There probably are bigger bulls in the unit somewhere, but we never saw more than a couple bigger than this one.
Bill

Very good bull !!!

I just posted another topic asking about 24. then notices this.

With max points , look like about a 40-50% chance to draw 2014.
I'm debating on giving 24 a shot.

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

Trophy unit or not that's a super nice bull!!! congrats to your wife llamapacker

you stopped by my camp to talk elk and I pointed you in the direction of four bulls bugling that morning. silver ford truck with ny plates and yellow tent. camp was just down the road from the closed mining road and about three miles from wild horse pt.

Sorry, that wasn't us. We were hunting on a different part of the unit. Great to hear you were helping other out.
Bill

Well done Bill and wife!!!!!
That's a story that will not be topped. She's right, that bull didn't require your preapproval! I'd be tickled pink with a Wyo bull like that.
That's a fine trophy bull. Congratulations and thanks for sharing.
......now, to figure out where to drop my max points?
Zeke

Wife's Green Mnt Bull---congrt's to all the hunters which were quite a few! saw a couple of 320 bulls but couldnt get to them-- had a great time tho!! The 2' of snow was killer later that week!! My buddys' dad shot his 1st branch antler bull that we spotted from camp drinking beer by the fire :)
7113dscn1189.jpg

2340dscn1190.jpg

Congrats on a nice bull. It is great to see pictures of what others took on this hunt as well. Post them up, boys....
Bill

llamapacker--- Me and the wife saw when your wife shot her bull ( nice bull by the way ) we were across the canyon, my buddy was down from you guys. a biggg bull was about 200 yards from you guys that snuck around into the burn!!

blacktailBC,
Saw very few bucks!! Saw lots of does this year tho--- we camp on green all summer! sorry for the bad news but i guess the bucks gotta be around somewhere we just didnt see much! where you camping?

I did see a number of small bucks right around low pass, but these weren't anything to get excited about. If you are looking for a meat buck, they should do just fine.
Bill

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom