UNIT 25 Information

I

imjamn5

LAST EDITED ON Oct-28-15 AT 06:46AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Oct-28-15 AT 06:25?AM (MST)

Hi all my buddy drew a rifle hunt for deer down in unit 25. I am going along to enjoy some time in the outdoors and hopefully help my buddy fill his tag. I have been a hunter all my life and normally hunt in the Gila National Forest. I have never hunted unit 25 but know that it is everything west of I-25 and South of I-10 to Deming.

My buddy was able to go scouting last weekend and mostly scouted the mesa west of Las Cruces. He didn't see any Deer. Can any one provided me with any advice for hunting unit 25. I am not asking for any secrets just guidance. I appreciate any or all advice and or suggestions. I will be sure to follow up with you and let you know how the hunt went and if we do fill my buddy's tag I will post pictures. We leave for Las Cruces next Friday the hunt begins Saturday.

THANKS IN ADVANCE And Appreciate the Help.

Thank you for the info I appreciate it. I will let you know how the hunt goes. My buddy did say that from the scouting trip last weekend in the Aden Hills Area they did see plenty of quail. Thanks Again..

Perfect thank you seems obvious to think of that but so simple if can be overlooked.

Ok, I'm gonna try and help you out. There are some really nice deer in here, but they are few and far between. If you like to hunt some hard nasty stuff, hit the Aden lava flows southwest of Las Cruces. I bow hunt this and always see a few monsters. But you will see few deer. The Aden hills have some scattered deer, just gotta pound it out. My favorite spot in 25 is a little set of hills called the Carizalillo hills. This place is prime mule deer country. Beautiful juniper covered foothills. It is just above the Mexico border, but on the January bowhunt we spotted 7 different bucks, with one over 30 inches. Didn't tag out but, killed a nice javelina. The West Potrillos is also a great spot, but hard to access. Get up on the volcanic cinder cones before first light, and glass your eyes off. The ranchers have done a tremendous job with water in here and there are tanks everywhere. There are some really thick sumac covered draws, and most of them hold deer. Don't be afraid to walk out these sumac draws in the flats. Sometimes they are 2-3 miles long, and most of them hold deer. I love hunting 25, you will see few hunters. PS there are quail everywhere so bring a shotgun. Last thing, if you like calling coyotes, man it's top notch. I'm a football coach, and we are in playoff mode, or else I would come and help. Best of luck, Gary

WOW Thank You for all the info. I will be sure to get back to you and let you know how the hunt goes.

Hi all just wanted to say thanks again to all those who have some advice. I just wanted to give you all a post hunt update. Unfortunately no sucsess we did not have any luck getting a deer. The the trip as a whole was great. The Aden Lava Flow area is a great place for quail hunting though.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom