unit 27 or 41 OTC

bukslayer

Been trying to plan a muley OTC late hunt for the past 3 years, finally have the time and money to go. Will be my first out of state hunt at age 24, looking for some info on area 41 and 27 since that's what I've narrowed it down to. Not looking for a honey hole just how your trips have gone in those zones or in other OTC zones. Any help is appreciated.

Opposite ends of the spectrum with those two units, PJ and pines in 27 and desert flats in 41. Mule deer densities in 41 are 1 deer per square mile. The plus side in 41, you can hunt during the rut in mid January. You can hunt in January in 27 also, but the peak of the rut is long passed. Given the choice between 41 and 27, I would choose 27. Better deer densities and you can hunt water in August and September.

Cool thanks for the advise. I've heard that 41 has much lower densities but the bucks you do see are usually bigger. Is there any truth to that?

There are some decent bucks in 41 with the occasional 170+. You need to be prepared to sit on one spot and glass from sun up to sun down and maybe not see a single deer, or put as much water as you can carry in your pack and follow a track until you catch up to him. Some guys will track a buck for several days. The weather is usually pretty nice so you can get by with a tarp and fleece blanket, unless a cold front comes through. Watch wunderground.com so you don't freeze.

Another choice would be to pack into the Eagletail Wilderness. It's mostly desert mountains and there are a few water catchments the deer hang near. In the Eagletail Mountains you have a lot of topography instead of miles of mesquite flats.

Very low success rates in 41 whichever way you hunt it.

Just remember, if you see 6 does running together, you have seen every deer for 6 square miles, statistically speaking. If you hunt in mid January and see some does, stay with them 'cause a buck will eventually find them.

Not my cup o' tea.

I've hunted the AZ desert during the archery Dec/Jan for a few years now. Out of all the hunts I've been on it's probably the toughest hunt out there. There are bucks to be found, but it's very difficult. Good luck!

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom