unit 2a bow hunt

T

tawstaxidermy

Has anyone been out in the field up by farmington. I was wondering how the oil field work has effected the deer migaration into the unit. I was told by someone that unit 2 in general was no longer a good hunt. Is this true . I cant believe it can go from the best to the worst in one year. The person said they will not guide in this unit anymore because things got so screwed up with roads and wells. Any insite on this hunt would be greatly apperciated , I dont know if
I should scrape it or go for it. I will probly never apply for new mexico again because of the new regulations and odds. I do have to say one thing, you guys that live in this state are some of the most friendly people I have ever came across in the field,its a shame not to ever hunt with you guys again , but thats the way it is I guess. thanks shawn

There are several big deer out there now. Seen one by the house last weekend. 2A jan bow hunt is good.

Outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man.

Unit 2 A, B & C are still good units and produce some whopper bucks every year.

That being said, it is NOT what it once was by any standards.

WAY too many tags and hunting pressure. Yes there are roads just about everywhere, but there are some walk in areas in both 2b & 2A.

During the 2nd rifle season in 2b this year I was helping a buddy scout for his wife and we couldn't find a place where you could get away from all the people and traffic. It was insane!

I think if someone would open up the old Circle S store in Gobernador just during hunting season they could create a retirement fund in 5 days just by selling ice & cold beverages!

There are a few good bucks on private land right now in the La Plata valley. If you find one of them you should at least try to get permission from the landowner. Some of them will only let the kids hunt their land & not the adults, even a few that I'm friends with, but it could be worth asking... ya never know unless you try, right? I haven't been in the rattlesnake area since last spring, but it always holds some deer.

You're crazy to let your tag go to waste, so start packing up the truck and come on!

Good luck & be sure to post some pics!

P.S. Pray there isn't the typical crunchy snow on the ground during your hunt.

I agree with what has been posted. Rifle season(s) are a zoo. I prefer the Jan. bowhunt by far. Regarding the snow, it is out there and will be crunchy! Best of luck to you.

I know this is a little late, but. I would not try to hunt this unit, the oil field has turned it into a virtual city. Tons of traffic, torn up roads and a absolute lack of animals. Hunted during the elk muzzleloader season this year (bought from outfitter who advertises on here, who by the way would not return phone calls after the purchase). Saw a small herd of elk opening morning after someone shot at as they headed back to Jic. Drove well over 1000 miles all over 2a,2b and 2c and found no elk, but what was so suprising was the lack of mule deer, even does.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-22-11 AT 01:15PM (MST)[p]Dont let yout tag go to waste..There are some very good bucks in 2A..It just takes a little bit of looking around use the optics alot.Good luck and post some pictures

One more bit of advice... get out of the truck & hike to some high spots and glass, glass, glass.

I have no idea how someone could possibly drive 1000 miles and not find elk and see few deer. Must have been too busy driving and texting or something. Don't listen to this road hunter! haha! I put in for 2b Jan archery as a 1st choice every year. Like Compas West said, 2a is also a good unit, just not quite as many deer. Either way it is a really tough hunt, especially with crunchy frozen snow, but I ALWAYS find good bucks and a few true monsters. Getting within bow range is a different story sometimes.

I don't know much about Compas West, but I do know that they have put a lot of hunters on some bomber bucks every year. You should consider contacting them.

Good luck to all the Jan bow hunters & Merry Christmas to all!

A friend and I have January tags for 2A as well and we are very excited to get down there for the hunt. This might be the last year we have a legitimate chance to hunt as a party with the new NR tag allocations. I posted on MM a few times looking for information on the hunt without much response. I'm glad to see the positive info people are posting on this post. We will be arriving a couple of days early to look around and get a little familiar with the area. I already have a few areas to check out but if anyone is willing to share any more info, I am more than willing to listen. Thanx and Happy Holidays to everyone.

again you guys are great . thanks for all the great advise. I wish all of you a merry x-mas and a great new year, shawn

I'm pumped! Headed out in the morning. A day and a half drive and then I'm ready to put some boot leather to the ground and look into the areas fellow members have suggested checking out.
Thanx for the info and hopefully I'll have some photos and a story to share.

You may be on the road,
I just got back a couple of weeks ago from up there on an youth elk hunt and we seen lots of elk and deer. I watched a bruser buck chase a doe around for about 45 min.
We also seen several other does and a few smaller bucks.

Good luck!!

I'm sitting at work just watching the clock turn as I'm getting ready to leave. We'll be on the road in 3 hours. Hows the condidtions looking right now? Is there much snow on the ground or has most of it melted off with the warmer temps? This will be my first time and probably last time (new regs) I'll be hunting late season mule deer in New Mexico. If anybody has any tips and pointers for a rookie I'd sure appreciate it. I'm just hoping to see a few nice bucks and getting close enough to seal the deal is another story. Thanks for any helpful tips....oh and does anybody know if you get 3g service for AT&T in the remote areas of 2A

AT&T bought out Alltel & the cell coverage went down the toilet.
Seriously horrible all over rural NM.
A lot of 2a has good coverage however.

Best of luck to you all, remember to post pics!

You boys better have chains for MUD!!!!!!! All the snow is melting and the roads are a MESS, we were in 2C all week scouting really bad in some areas, today i almost put on chains...... Drive safe 2b 2c 2a roads are OK in the AM on the freeze but you better be in a area you can drive out of once it melts off.... plus side most the oilfield traffic is running early and out of the field before it gets soft!

www.200inches.com

LAST EDITED ON Dec-31-11 AT 08:32AM (MST)[p]If we hadn't chained all 4 on the PU the last 2 days of our hunt (11/8 & 11/9) in 2b, we would have been SOL after the morning thaw! On the 10th we took them off, got the trailer hitched and packed before daylight, and got back down to the main highway while the roads were frozen. No way would we have ever got out of there without doing what we did!

We had the same problem one year in Colo. Couldn't drive out with the horses in the trailer had to wait until 3am and for it to frezze hard enough to drive out and then ride the horses up to the top.

If you think these guys are kidding you about the mud they are not. Had the dual wheels on the trailer fill up with mud one year and the wheel just stopped turning, Had to take the wheels off to get the mud out.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom