Unit 3/301 for youth

magnum12

So next season my oldest will turn 12 and will be able to head out on his first deer hunt carrying a rifle. I was considering putting both of us in for the draw but not familiar how the terrain is for these units. Can anyone give me an idea what it's like and if it would be to rugged for kids?

Some of the easiest units in the state. Large Sage flats only a few areas with steep deep draws etc. The terrain is not an issue at all. Hunt the 3rd season, 2nd season there are fewer deer in the units. there are always some but more come with weather and the migration. Expect a wide range of weather. During seocnd season lows got into the low 20s during 3rd season high were hitting upper 50s. I have seen 0-10 degree days during the 3rd rifle season and have also hunted in t-shirts. The real issue in the unit will be finding deer away from other hunters. Lots of lazy road hunters in the area.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-20-12 AT 11:42AM (MST)[p]Thank you Elks! I was looking to go for the 3rd season and will defiantly prep for all weather conditions. Are these units loaded with roads?

LAST EDITED ON Nov-20-12 AT 01:48PM (MST)[p] Drawing 3rd season with 0 PPs may be an issue, especially if you are a NR. I doubt if it will be close to 100% draw in 2013 without preference points.

You also might want to look into the DOW youth outreach program. They only shoot does and cows but they get to hunt on private ranches and it is free. Just a thought.

Good suggestions so far. 3rd season is best but there is also a large resident herd on the Godiva Rim area during 2nd season and they take a lot out of that area.

I agree with the Godiva Rim comment. It is an excellent area with many resident deer and elk, as well. I don't know your PP situation or your resident status, but drawing a deer license could be an issue for 3rd season. I do believe they set a number aside for youth hunters, but I could be wrong on that. 3rd season is generally better,mostly because of the rut, but there are plenty of resident deer and you get 1st crack at them in the 2nd season.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-21-12 AT 09:37PM (MST)[p]Guys thanks a bunch for the info! Iwas looking at the gordiva rim on my blm maps and google earth and wondered if it would be any good. if I'm looking at it right there is some private but a large chunk of public though. Right now we have no points and figured we would not draw but may go try a cow elk hunt at the recommendations of another member. I will also check out the youth outreach program as it might be the best way to go for a new hunter.

Again thank you for the suggestions and welcome any fukrther ones.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom