unit 38 archery elk

darter

Wondering how the hunt went this year, I am thinking about hunting 38 next year, would like to see some pics if anyone has any.

Pm zim on this forum. He had an amazing hunt in wyo this year but was too ignorant to realize it.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-22-11 AT 07:32PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Oct-22-11 AT 07:31?PM (MST)

really WYBHTN ? When is enough enough ? Please don't ruin this thread too. Thank you. Chip

darter,

Below is a message that I posted after my trip home from the Big Horns this fall. To sum it up: there is a good number of elk, an un-believable number of people, not just elk hunters, all types of recreationists, none the less, I think that if a guy scouts hard, hunts hard, and has the mind set going into this unit that you are going to run into people everywhere, and I mean everywhere, you can harvest a decent bull in this unit if you put the time in. I am not trying to sound pessimistic or trying to scare you away, but there was a ton of people in the Big Horns this year. I am going to keep going out every year until I draw an archer tag for untit 38, because I already have scouting time invested in that unit.

"I was just in the Bighorns hunting Mule Deer and scouting for an Elk tag that I am hoping to draw next year. I saw lots of Elk. I actually saw 7 different bulls in one draw during two days of hunting. I would have been happy to tag all 7 of the bulls with my bow. I actually watched 4 bulls fight over a herd of cows for an hour and a half. Watching those bulls fight for an hour and half, is something that I will not forget for a long time to come. As far as the buling, I can only confirm hearing two real bugles, because I watched the bulls bugle, there was a lot of people running around blowing on Elk calls, so it is hard to say what was authentic and what wasn't. There are lots of people, but my personal experience was good enough that I think I will still try to burn my points up in the Bighorns. I think there is still plenty of Elk to go around."

Good Luck,

brookhunter

We have max elk points and are considering WY 38 archery, but this doesn't sound like my style. In New Mexico this year I solo backpacked in 3 miles to timberline and saw only one other person in 8 days. Tagged a 330" P&Y bull on the 8th day. There were 6 bulls bugling in the basin and nobody else there to screw me up. Sounds like a world of difference from 38.

If I had a great elk hunt in 38 this year but didn't know it, I guess it's OK because WYG&F didn't charge me for a tag! :D

At least 38 has no wilderness areas to spread out the pressure and limit the number of hikers. The problem with WY is you can't hunt the wilderness areas as a non-resident so there are not many places you can pack in that are out of range for a day hunter. But that doesn't matter much as there are plenty of hikers and backpackers. I bowhunted 45 this year and ran into a lot of non-hunters who were headed into the wilderness areas. There were 5x more cars at the trailhead that were obvious backpackers than hunting rigs. I also ran into plenty of hunters outside the wilderness, and I packed in on foot. A lot of folks out there have horses too and with all the trails you can never get far enough away.

The sad reality is the Bighorns are being loved to death by everyone. Blame it on wolves and grizzlys further west in Yellowstone. That's also the reason why there are never any leftover tags for the Bighorns anymore. A few years ago you could get a type 9 tag every year, even after the second drawing for many of the units.

Man you Wyoming boys are a bunch of spoiled hunters. I hunted the Bighorns this year and every local Wyoming that we ran into complained about how many people are in the Big Horns hunting. Same story at every local camp. We killed it in Wyoming. You want to see hunting pressure try Utah, Arizona, or Colorado. Wyoming has no pressure compared to these states. We hunted hard 10 days straight. Very seldom ran into any other hunters. We only ran into one Wyoming local that was a real jerk every one else was great. We saw elk everyday. We heard Bugles daily and killed bulls that we called in. To boot my buddy shot an elk early in the hunt went to town purchased a deer tag and shot a stud of a buck with a OTC tag. We tagged out on the archery elk tags. I am not tooting my own horn I just think that you Wyoming boys have a messed up perception of what CROWDED is. If you are thinking about putting in for 38 I would do it in a heart beat. Actually I would put in for any tag int he Big Horns.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom