Unit 45 Elk hunt Early Aug.1 Rifle

huntr123

Does any one have any suggestions on where to start for this hunt? Fish and game told me they set this early hunt up to help the farmers out with there elk problem... I just spent the last 4 days over there scouting and the only elk I found was up high in the bennett mountain side. All the elk I saw was on private property and the land owners have made it clear to me that it would be impossible for any one to gain access... Does anyone know of any land owners that have had issues with elk in the corn ?? there is a small piece of public ground up high that I may end up hunting but if sounds like if there is a problem with elk down low the fish and game would be able to steer us as hunters to help them out?? After all isn't that why they created this hunt ? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

This hunt is just a vintage, classic landowner screw job.

"Too many elk in our hay and corn fields!"

Knocks on the door. Mind if we help get the elk off your land? Absolutely, you got 15 grand?

There should be a few on public. I know a guy that has killed 2.
Get On-X

LAST EDITED ON Jul-29-19 AT 09:41PM (MST)[p]This is exactly why farmers shouldn't get any depredation money. They cry about animals eating crops but won't let someone hunt.

>LAST EDITED ON Jul-29-19
>AT 09:41?PM (MST)

>
>This is exactly why farmers shouldn't
>get any depredation money. They
>cry about animals eating crops
>but won't let someone hunt.
>

Amen!

I would contact Corn McDonald, head biologist for Magic Valley game and fish, ask him the same question you asked us. Mcdonald should be able to help you or show you how it is done,

Thanks guys, the more I research and the more I hear sounds like a big problem over in that unit. It doesn't sound like it's going to change any time soon. :-(.

Call the Jerome office, 208-324-4359, and ask for the Landowner Relation's Mgr. They keep in touch with ranchers that might let you hunt. Iv'e used the guy in Salmon before,and he was helpful.

This type of thing drives me nuts. Landowners complain about the elk, so the fish and game sets up a hunt to keep the elk off private land. The landowners that complain about the elk won't let anybody on their land to hunt. This forces all these hunters that are supposed to be helping keep elk off the private to hunt public land and force more elk onto private land only making things worse.

This whole thing is bassackwards.

That's exactly what many of the landowners want.
They plan to access that damage fund for additional income.
People who think these folks are dumb don't get what's going on.

It's all very simple, change the rule so that you can't access the damage fund if you are not enrolled in Access Yes.
With the farming/ranching community so heavily represented in the government, good luck with that.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-30-19 AT 03:00PM (MST)[p]My buddy's wife has the tag, and my friends 12 year old son has the tag as well.

My buddy talked to the fish and game about potential landowners that might grant permission. My buddy approached said landowner and said "So and So over at the fish and game told me you might have an elk problem, my wife has the tag and we are wondering if we could get permission to hunt your land".

Said landowner stiffened at the mere mention of the fish and game, lifted his finger up and pointed AWAY from his property and said "you best get off of my land". And that was that.

I WOULD NOT mention the Fish and Game to the landowners in 45. And good luck getting permission, not saying it's impossible, but most are not friendly to hunters or fish and game. I have heard that some landowners are friendly to Women and Children, but my friends have yet to find one of those landowners. Good luck and it is going to get very crowded on the public...

Lots of good info, I think the only thing to do is roll with it and hunt hard and wish for the best. Tons of politics and B.S that I don't want to stress about. The thought of a velvet bull sure would be cool, and it will be earned. If/when I get one.

I said they are dumb earlier. To clarify, yes they are not dumb they are greedy and unreasonable as has been stated here.

My buddies that have had luck did so with the archery tag, but only 25 tags there. Assuming 5 guys paid/got permission on private, +/-.

This could be tough with 45 rifle tags +/- battling it out on public. I hope you have a kick ass hunt. But if you don't, I'd talk to as many of the other tag holders as possible.

Put together a well thought out letter with a bunch of tag holder signatures and the names/addresses of the landowners who declined permission. Beat the drum about how selling wolf tickets is complete bullshit. See if IDF&G can't match up those addresses with the landowners bitching last year about elk in the corn.

Of course, it will likely go no where. And I 100% understand that it is the legislature, not F&G.

Good luck on your hunt. There is enough public land to get it done. It's going to get real western with 2500 cow elk hunters in November

You really should call McDonald, and have him show you how to hunt Elk in 45, or return your money. The game and fish came up with this great plan to really make some money and make the sportsman pay for it while taking advantage of a lot of folks who really don't know better or don't Evan stand a chance. The Elk aren't leaving the private until they shoot the big bulls out of the fields and every bit of corn is cut and then they will be chased all over the the hills and maybe you will be one of the lucky 2 that gets an Elk before they hit another piece of private and stand huddled up in the center of a dry pivot for 3 weeks waiting for the season to end

The Casa del norte ranch owner (McCaulghin not sure if that's the right spelling)told me that they let women ,kids,and older hunters on but I've never seen proof of that. This was after he drove off road straight up a mountain to tell me that I was headed towards his property (which it wasn't his) and he had a retired forest service worker with him. Trying to convince me that there was a road once upon a time and that he wasn't breaking the law driving there. He now owns property next to a ranch I have permission to hunt in 39 and he is not a good neighbor. His ranch hands patrol the county roads and try to keep the elk from crossing trespassing on other people's land. I've seen the foot prints in the snow coming from his side of the fence onto the side I have permission to hunt and he definitely doesn't.
Sorry for the rant might be a touch sore on this subject.
There are elk on public land 45 though. OnX maps will save your bacon

I always wondered about accessing elk in that unit, but I am always impressed at the harvest stats and I doubt they are all friends of a landowner or rich folk.

I wonder how anybody did? I imagine by Monday the elk will be mostly on private. And then the landowners will complain, lol.

My calls to my friends haven't been answered.

>Lots of good info, I
>think the only thing to
>do is roll with it
>and hunt hard and wish
>for the best. Tons
>of politics and B.S that
>I don't want to stress
>about. The thought of
>a velvet bull sure would
>be cool, and it will
>be earned. If/when I get
>one.

Your definitely right. There is plenty of public land to get a nice bull and have a good hunt.

The stupid part is that these tags are specifically given out to help with the private land issues and all they are doing is making it worse and chasing more elk on private land.

>I wonder how anybody did?
>I imagine by Monday the
>elk will be mostly on
>private. And then the
>landowners will complain, lol.
>
>My calls to my friends haven't
>been answered.

1 guy posted a bull on 208 hunters Facebook group from 45

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom