Unit 51 Rifle, Oct 5-9th

Extremebull

Hello Guys,

I drew a Unit 51 rifle tag for Oct 5-9th. I am still guiding a hunt in Arizona but wanted to ask for some tips about my upcoming hunt. I haven't hunted with a rifle since 1999 but am kind of looking forward to sending a 3,000 FPS Missile at a bull!
If any of you have info about hunting areas, how the bugling is on this hunt, and good camping locations for a 30' trailer, I would be grateful. I was able to make a brief scouting trip this summer but my guiding commitments in AZ took first priority. Please PM me if you would rather than posting it to this thread.
Thanks!

Steve Chappell

First and foremost dig a 6 foot long by 6 foot deep and 3 foot wide hole in the ground. Put out a sign that states, " IF FOUND HERE TONIGHT, well you know the rest. There have been some camp thieves in the area so stay vigilant. It actually sucks to have to warn any one about thieves but low lives are every where and not something a 3,000 fps missile wont fix. Any ways, my only advice is don't camp too far from the main roads any type of weather makes the roads very slick and nasty. This area gets pounded by road hunters so even 1/2 a mile off the roads makes a huge difference. I favor the area known as Mesa de Las Viejas. There are a bit of elk in there but that road has known to leave people camping in there trucks because of mud. This is a big area and holds some good elk numbers. Good luck and shoot straight! At the elk too!

Steve , the bow hunts in 51 were un real.The second bow hunt the bulls were very active , it was a year to have a bow tag for sure. I have a few friends that did well and a couple others who didn't tag bulls but were in elk every day. This past week the big bulls have started to take over so I think the rut is peaking.PM me and I can share some info to help.The area mentioned above Mesa De Los Vijas is 51a.If that's where your headed , I can't really help for elk, otherwise pm and I'll get you my #.

Guys, thanks for the information and the help. I appreciate it.:)

I leave first thing tomorrow morning. Looking forward to having a great hunt and sharing it with my cousin, Gary. We always have a great time hunting elk together.

Hopefully, I will have a photo or two to share when I return!

Thanks again...

Steve Chappell

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom