Unit 56 Elk Tag

I had the tag 4 years ago and tagged a nice 340 bull. I lived in Cody at the time and it took me 8 hard days of hunting to find a decent bull. My advice is to hike 5-8 miles a day and hope for good weather. They didn't come down for me until the first week of December. If you see a lot of wolf/bear sign then I would think about moving somewhere else. I can't say that I saw a lot of bulls, I spent three days without seeing anything. Make sure you're far from a road as most of the good bulls I did see were about 2-3 miles from the nearest road.
Good luck, hard very hard and you'll probably do well. I talked to three other folks who had this tag and didn't tag anything.
Kurt

>It took me 12+ years to
>draw this tag. Comments or
>advice would be welcome.

Obviously there are lots of variables to consider, but one comes to mind that has produced several good bulls for my family, friends, and myself:
One of the biggest mistakes I see hunters make in this area is that they do not get to where they need to be to glass as much country as possible by first light, just as the bulls are timbering up. And just as importantly, they don't stay until the very last shooting light just as the bulls are materializing along the dark edges of timber. Because of the large presence of wolves, and being well into the hunting season by this point, the big bulls tend to be primarily nocturnal. But, if you can get into position, tough out the cold days, and wait out the bulls you spotted in the morning, you can put yourself in a good position to suddenly & quickly make a move on a bull and seal the deal!

The next best advice...pray for cold and lots of snow!
Good luck, and have fun!

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom