Unit 58 and 100 - Elk

woodruffhunter

Long Time Member
I would really welcome your opinions and advice on these two units. First, I am hoping to see my dad (who will soon be 74) draw this year. Of all the units I have researched, unit 100 seems the best for him. He cannot hike/walk like he used to be able to do, be can still get around okay. I do not live far from the unit (I live in Rich County) and scouting will not be a problem. I have spent some time in the unit to familiarize myself with. Maybe there is a better unit/option? I would appreciate any direction.

Admittedly, I know little about Unit 58. I can honestly say that I do not know the unit an am only going off online research. I realize most of it is private and wonder if its worth burning my points (this is the unit I am look at applying for).

We both have max points. My first priority is to see my dad draw and I am glad to wait.

Thanks!

Unit 100 would be a hoot! Hunting elk in antelope country! Just be ready for longer shots due to lack of cover.

I have no experience with 58.

58 holds some dandy bulls. Hoo-doo ranch use to allow bull hunting with a trespass fee around $500. Last i heard some outfitter got the rights few years ago. Would have to call and ask them

Dunno about 100 or 58- but 124 south of 100 has some nice bulls. Hunted antelope there a couple years ago and ran into elk twice- saw two 320 class bulls- and we were not at all focused on the best elk country. Pretty easy country to get around in, probably doable without a lot of hiking.

I would keep expectations reasonable in 124 for a few years. The bulls in there, in particular the older bulls, took a pretty good thumpin' last winter. Still plenty of elk, but the older age classes were impacted pretty bad.

Also, the draw odds there are not 100% even with max points. It sounds to me like the sooner your Dad can hunt the better, he may not have another 9 years to wait around and apply for a 10% or less odds tag.

100 is all it is advertised to be. Excellent numbers of elk, high B:C ratio, great access, easy terrain, lots of roads, big unit with plenty of country to explore. Cannot imagine a person would not have a fun time hunting in 100. All this and he will most likely never break a sweat.

Thanks guys, I really do appreciate it. I think that my dad will try for 100.

Buzz: I agree with you. 124 might take too long to draw. I might be off on my odds but I think 100 might be 50%??

I think I’ll likely just apply myself for a point and hope that my dad does draw and concentrate on his hunt.

Thanks!

I've been in 59-1 twice and that is the best hunt in the state in my opinion. rough country and you need an outfitter.

If you want to go guided talk to Meade Dominick , he has the Hoodoo leased and it is an easier hunt your dad would really enjoy. nice bulls and Meade is a great guy.

DIY probably 124 would be best from what I've seen while pronghorn hunting.

I've been in 59-1 twice and that is the best hunt in the state in my opinion. rough country and you need an outfitter.

If you want to go guided talk to Meade Dominick , he has the Hoodoo leased and it is an easier hunt your dad would really enjoy. nice bulls and Meade is a great guy.

DIY probably 124 would be best from what I've seen while pronghorn hunting.
Thank you. My friend went with Dominick and had an outstanding hunt. He had nothing but great things to say about Dominick.
My dad does not have the funds to do this hunt so will likely try 100.

I will certainly consider 124.

IMO 100 is a much easier unit to find bulls in short order than 124. If you have a bunch of time to scout, can hunt multiple weeks, hunt archery season, come back for rifle later in the year and are hung up on killing 350 or better then roll with 124.

Stevie Wonder could find a 6 point bull in 100 in under an hour.

IMO 100 is a much easier unit to find bulls in short order than 124. If you have a bunch of time to scout, can hunt multiple weeks, hunt archery season, come back for rifle later in the year and are hung up on killing 350 or better then roll with 124.

Stevie Wonder could find a 6 point bull in 100 in under an hour.
Ya but how big. I heard many Bulls but Trophy Quality has gone down. .....................BULL!

Ya but how big. I heard many Bulls but Trophy Quality has gone down. .....................BULL!
I think its BS to say trophy quality in 100 has gone down. I see no change in my 20+ years in the area in regards to trophy size. I just see way more of them. 100 was never a mecca of trophy size bulls. It has always been, in my time, a place to easily find a nice 300 class bull. Always some much better taken. That has not changed. But I would be willing to wager there are more 250" 5 points taken in 100 than there are 330" 6 points.

124 isn't a whole lot different, just replace with 290" 6 points than 350" 6 points.

Just my opinion so take it for whatever you think its worth.

I didn't know how big they were or not there. Just every where you read every one talked that unit up so much. I know I had a good buddy from Phoenix who is a true trophy hunter and he spent a couple weeks there and ate his tag. I think that was 5 years ago roughly. He saw lottsa Elk but nothing he would shoot. I don't think he saw anything over 330 if I remember right. I think he was looking 350 or Bigger. He does a lot of research and had max points. Must of got some wrong info from someone. Cause He has alot of good connections. Any way I guess I was talking out my Butt. LOL . Us Arizona Guys are spoiled. Guys from back east are happy with a 280.........................GOOD LUCK ON THE DRAWS THIS YEAR. I WILL BE IN WYOMING WITH 14 POINTS.....................BULL!

I can understand someone your dad's age lowering the standards , but be sure you hold out with max points a 350 is very doable in the NW corner.

The demand index says area 100 with max points drew out at 47% for regular, and 26% for special. I'd bet that flip flops this year with the price increase. 100 doesn't have the quality but if you want to draw sooner and have an easier hunt it does sort of look like a winner.

I can understand someone your dad's age lowering the standards , but be sure you hold out with max points a 350 is very doable in the NW corner.

The demand index says area 100 with max points drew out at 47% for regular, and 26% for special. I'd bet that flip flops this year with the price increase. 100 doesn't have the quality but if you want to draw sooner and have an easier hunt it does sort of look like a winner.
Thank you. I agree 100%. I will not apply (myself) for 100. I am still looking at giving 58 a go for the fall (I am sure I could draw), or waiting another year and buying only a point.

At this point, my dad is just looking for a fun, not too physical hunt. He has killed elk and does not really care about points. He just want to enjoy a hunt with family.

I agree with you that the regular and special odds flip this year.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom