Unit 61 Elk Help

huntntrail

I drew a unit 61 type elk 1 tag and am looking for someone that either rents horses/mules or I could hire to pack in/out or even just pack an elk out. If you know someone that would be interested or offers these services please let me know. Thanks

TK

Historically, 61-1 is for the wilderness section of 61, which means you need a licensed guide or resident guide to hunt there. Assuming the latter, Wyominghorses (Mantle's) over near Pavillion is your best bet. Or contact Bob Sundeen with Trails West Outfitting.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-26-14 AT 11:31AM (MST)[p]>Historically, 61-1 is for the wilderness
>section of 61, which means
>you need a licensed guide
>or resident guide to hunt
>there. Assuming the latter, Wyominghorses
>(Mantle's) over near Pavillion is
>your best bet. Or
>contact Bob Sundeen with Trails
>West Outfitting.

***Yep, 61-1 is only good for the Washakie Wilderness in unit 61 and also the Wilderness in unit 62 south of Avalanche Creek. Getting horses and tack from Bob and Dar won't do any good if he doesn't have a licensed guide or resident to go with so he's legal to hunt with that 61-1 tag. I hear Bob Sundeen is a great guy, but it will cost some bucks to hire him and he may already be booked for the season. It looks like the OP has some work cut out for him unless he already has the resident guide deal worked out.

My brother lives in the area and he and my nephew will be going with me as my resident guides...thanks for the replies...any others I should look into?

LAST EDITED ON Feb-26-14 AT 01:00PM (MST)[p]
Just saw you have resident hunters lined up. I'd call Mantle. We rented from them the last time we went into 61 & 59. Good operation...

If you pack in, be aware of the requirements because of the grizzlies. Unless you have bear proof panniers, you'll need to hang your food. You may want to ask Mantle's if they have any bear panniers for rent. You will likely have some grizzly visits. We hunted in the general area west of 61 last year & saw 6 different grizzlies, including 2 in camp. They're pretty thick along the Greybull & Carter Mtn. Be smart & you'll have a great time.

>LAST EDITED ON Feb-26-14
>AT 01:00?PM (MST)

>
>
>Just saw you have resident hunters
>lined up. I'd call
>Mantle. We rented from
>them the last time we
>went into 61 & 59.
> Good operation...

***I'd certainly second that, as I rented horses, tack, and a trailer from them twice and was treated fairly with no problems at all. They're good folks!

Hunted it in 2012 with Bob, Grizzlies up the Wassus. A lot of elk as well you should have a good time get your elk out or hung before dark or the grizzlies will dine well. I have no idea how many we saw in a week, we saw 6 different ones in one day. I envy you I would love to have the tag again.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom