Unit 6A elk archery

bullroarer

A buddy and I drew this tag and its been over 10 years since we hunted this unit. We've scouted and hiked up the trails into the parks and have a pretty good idea where to go but want to make sure we get away from the people and into the elk. Not looking for precise GPS coordinates (but feel free!) just want to know if we are thinking right by going higher on the mtn. come Sept. 1st. Any help is appreciated..thanks

As I can tell by your nametag you must be from Texas where there are no mountains much less hills.. Roadhunting? founder please ban this yay-hoo from the site.

I drew in the same unit Sept.16-22..the mtns. had some good rain fall ..its nice & green.

From what I've seen up there this year, there are more people than ever enjoying the Jemez. I've never seen it so busy. Every campsite on 144 was occupied two weeks ago. I don't know if they're leftover rainbows, or what the deal is. It was crowded. My guess is the elk were pushed away from the dirties that stunk the place up over the 4th of July. Get some scouting in before the season to eliminate areas and you should do just fine. Good luck.

Thanks 505..I know what you mean lots of hikers, campers, fishermen, horseback riders, and thankfully only a few rainbow hippies left to trash the place...Star I'll give you an update on the early hunt and let you know where we found the most elk. Good luck, shoot straight.

lowcountry....you are going to call somebody a road hunter and then ask for help? Give me a break. Go find your toad on the road somewhere else.

No, I really mean toads. He likes playing with 'em....has all his life!!!!
I may be wrong, but I'm guessing you didn't draw a tag this year smokinJoe......you seem to have anger issues! ROFL!!!

Bullroarer In my opinion if you are hunting 6A you should spend some time hunting the east side of the unit near the Valle Caldera, I know most hunters don't give out honey holes but you might want to check out this area N35 57.001 W106 37.467

Just got back from scouting for 1st rifle there and saw some good bulls on my honeyholes.Lots of bowhunters on the roads and in campgrounds....no-one out away from roads. Saw some monster bulls down by my new NM ranch!!! Next year.

Star-
Sent you a pm. Forget the GPS coordinates from Mr. Nm_Az_Hunter above. He obviously is talking about another type of "honeyhole" he would like to share with everyone.
Good luck

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom