Unit 6C

I grew up hunting the unit but haven't been there for probably 10 years. Last trip I made it was extremely difficult to find the elk, especially the bulls. This was early bow hunts. Could be different now and Im sure somebody has some better intel for you!!

About 50 percent of the unit it standing tooth picks because the los Conchas fire.Steep and thick where it ain't burnt. Lots of traffic on the roads from hunters and non hunters. Hit or miss.The elk get on the caldera as soon as pressure is put on or the park. Definitely not a 1st choice unit but anything is possible If you do your homework before hand.

Very tough hunt! My buddy and I had a cow tag for the first cow hunt.the elk know when its hunting season. We hunted south of the Caldera and first morning we saw them at first light but were already making their way into the preserve. That was the only time I saw them. Hunted the north,east and south sides of the valles caldera. We heard gunshots throughout our hunts but like some mentioned its a hit and miss hunt...very tough hunt but we saw a lot of deer.

Ive killed 2 elk there in C one in 06 bow hunt and 05 muzzleloader .Both of those hunts were great but times have changed up there. My daughter had the youth cow hunt , and pretty much it was tough. As mentioned the elk get boogered and after the muzzleloader hunt most elk move over into 6a or the Caldera has turned into an extremely tough hunt but every year you'll see some great bulls taken there.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom