Unit 76 Elk

rarely get posts from 76. Especially since rocketman left MM's now it seems we never see any pics of live or sucessful hunts :-(

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

During second rifle season I had an encounter there with a real nice bull at about 40 yards - a heavy 6x6 around a 300 score. He seemed well aware that I held only a cow tag. We looked at each other quite a while. Only about 1/4 mile off the highway too - I wasn't even really hunting yet, just hiking at that point.

We heard mixed reports of this years archery season. Some nice bulls taken on the edge of the burn. Other fellas said they saw nothing in areas where they had filled their tags for many consecutive years.

I got lucky ML season with some help from the Gunni crew. I've been scouting that area all the time since my R+R leave in 2010 and I never saw a bull this size before. I also was lucky enough to run into Roy and Rocketdog on one of my last few scouts.

5764p1020884.jpg

8761p1020891.jpg

I didn't see any other hunters during ML til we started packing out. However the 2nd day of archery I was just starting in on a scout and I ran in to the Ute Mnt. wildlife biologist, I can't think of his name. He knocked a 6x6 down opening day. Only hunter I've seen with a mountain bike before, but I have been thinking about it for pronghorn. Another Gunni local got an archery bull, I want to say 320 but I don't recall for sure. He told me someone took an obscene 6x9 or something out of 76 this year, but I haven't seen any photos come up on the radar yet.

Truth be told, in the last 3 years I've seen lots of 270-300 bulls, but very few above 320. There is a massive 5x5 in there that I would be real proud of, but he will be taking his dirt nap before I ever get enough points to hunt that area again. It has been a great 3 years of scouting and I really enjoyed that the most out of the entire hunt process and that includes the harvest.

Chindits that is a awesome bull. That bull just looks like he has a little bit of everything, mass, tine length. Sounds like you put in the time and reaped the reward. Congrats.

Alan,

Fantastic muzz bull ! Congrats to you on your success. I'd guess your bull was one of the biggest taken in unit 76 this year.

Just wondering if this tag is worth the points during archery? I have been kicking around the idea for a few years now, just want to have a fun elk hunt and not really pickey when it comes to archery elk ..

SS, that is a judgement call only you can make. I don't know your points and I don't know your goals. I only can encourage you to not get lost in the end game and go learn some good country in this state.

I really enjoyed that country and covering ground all summer(s) long on the scout. I wouldn't trade my scout time for nothing....except maybe a life time of hunts in any GMU or a 20 year supply of private land tags for my unit of choice. But seriously, the scouts through my couple summers before the hunt were the best. I would still be happy with a lesser bull (which is all I had seen and expected) and just having the opportunity to experience that country. I never had such a great excuse for going to the woods every weekend for a backpack trip.....I have to go scouting I've got 9 years on this. No reasonable GF with a lick of sense could question that mantra.

I was very fortunate and that's the bottom line. I know there are better units and better bulls. I can only suggest that you find some territory that you really enjoy spending your time in and put in for that unit.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom