Update on good sfw stuff

BIGJOHNT

Long Time Member
MAY 4, 2012

Big Decisions at Yesterday?s Wildlife Board Meeting

Many of you are aware of some critical decisions that were to be made yesterday, at the Utah Wildlife Board Meeting. Here is a quick update. First, the board voted for zero cow elk permits on the declining Fish Lake unit and and only a modest increase on antelope permits on the Plateau unit (Parker Mountain). These were the recommendations of Utah DWR and were supported Sportsmen for Fish and Wildlife and Big Game Forever. In our view, this was a major decision in support of producing abundant wildlife in these herds and across the state of Utah.

At yesterday?s Wildlife Board meeting, SFW and BGF were the only conservation groups present. We were there to fight for abundant herds and to keep a diversity of quality and quantity, and even super quality hunt opportunities. We are very encouraged by the vote of the board on these and other important issues.

It has been a big job to strengthen sportsmen?s voice at the Utah Wildlife Board and Regional Advisory Councils. Prior to the formation of SFW the makeup of the old Board of Big Game Control was such that Sportsmen had one representative out of five. Many times, the sportsmen motion would not even get a ?second? to consider the sportsmen motion. In a few cases, when there was a ?second?, and the DWR Director voted to increase elk populations, these actions resulted in TWO DWR Directors being fired ? Doug Day and Tim Provan.

When SFW started, there was only 600 trophy bull permits, and those ?trophy bulls? were mostly 280 to 300 inch bulls. Today, there is approximately 2,800 trophy bull elk permits, a substantial increase in opportunity, and now a balance needs to be attained to keep Utah?s world class quality and opportunity hunts on our great public lands.

Yesterday, DWR Director Jim Karpowitz gave an aggressive and compelling case why there should be NO cow elk permits on the Fish Lake herd, and only a modest increase on doe antelope permits on the Parker Mountain. Mr. Karpowitz also addressed head-on the anti-elk position of the US Forest Service making the case that sportsmen and the DWR had made a major investment to improve habitat in Central Utah, including improvements of over 200,000 acres of public and private land, at a cost of over $16 Million dollars. The DWR also recommended reducing some bull elk permits on Utah?s premium units where age class is in decline? the Beaver, Boulder, Book cliff Roadless, Monroe, San Juan and Pahvant. Permit reductions to increase the average age back up to 7.75 years ? grow monster bulls again on these units ? was approved by the Board.

The Utah Wildlife Board voted for NO cow elk tags on the Fish Lake unit, and No increase on antelope permits on the Parker Mountain herd. A good outcome for wildlife and a good outcome for maintaining abundant wildlife for hunters in Utah. Additionally, after looking at some data provided by SFW at the local RAC meetings, and at the Board meeting, the DWR agreed that it would be appropriate to reduce the trophy bull elk permit on the Dutton to 110, the Road area of the Book Cliffs to 130 and the Manti at 406.

In other decisions at yesterday, the Board also voted to increase the number of permits for Bison, Rocky Mountain bighorn sheep and Mountain goats. These herds continue to grow as a direct result of our conservation investment in habitat and transplants. The tremendous Utah limited buck deer permits on the Paunsagunt, Henry Moutains and Book Cliffs remained essentially the same from 2012.

Byron Bateman, President of Sportsmen for Fish and Wildlife explains the importance of yesterday?s efforts at the Utah Wildlife Board, ?this is just a begging of our efforts to increase deer populations to 400,000 head, and have increased quality and opportunity for success on Utah?s public land, general season hunts.?

While we don't always agree with every recommendation, and many times there are multiple good alternatives, as one RAC member said, ?When SFW comes to a meeting, you know they have done their homework, they represent a lot of sportsmen, and their recommendations need to be taken seriously.? We thank all the volunteer members of the public who serve on the RAC Board and Wildlife Boards for their time, efforts and ongoing commitments to wildlife.

Governor Herbert has been a great supporter of sportsmen. The DWR Director is aware of sportsmen strong support for his efforts to protect and grow abundant herds in Utah. As a result of the tremendous support by sportsmen, yesterday?s actions won't result in another director being fired for growing more wildlife. We the sportsmen have a voice and it does make a big difference. SFW and Big game forever

How freaking desperate can $FW/BGF get??

Ya ever notice----these mass Emails are ALWAYS after the fact???

Simply a Pathetic $end us your money membership effort...

Robb

>At yesterday?s Wildlife Board meeting, SFW
>and BGF were the only
>conservation groups present. We
>were there to fight for
>abundant herds and to
>keep a diversity of quality
>and quantity, and even super
>quality hunt opportunities. We
>are very encouraged by the
>vote of the board on
>these and other important issues.

Uhmmmmmm, Really Don? I think we heard from UWC on several occasions. You might want to take time from your tanning bed teeth whitening to take a listen.

http://wildlife.utah.gov/public_meetings/board_minutes/audio/12-05-03.mp3

>When SFW started, there was only
>600 trophy bull permits, and
>those ?trophy bulls? were mostly
>280 to 300 inch bulls.
> Today, there is approximately
>2,800 trophy bull elk permits,
>a substantial increase in opportunity,
>and now a balance needs
>to be attained to keep
>Utah?s world class quality and
>opportunity hunts on our great
>public lands.

Thanks to RMEF and the fact that they are open about the spending on every single dime they take him from expo and conservation tags. There is no question what their mission is as they openly subscribe to the North American Model of Wildlife Conservation and even in their new member packet offer ways to obtain their financial records. MDF is currently working to be just as transparent. Other groups have heavily contributed to this increase but ONLY SFW under The Don's direction should be credited. BARF!!!!!

>Mr. Karpowitz
>also addressed head-on the anti-elk
>position of the US Forest
>Service making the case that
>sportsmen and the DWR had
>made a major investment to
>improve habitat in Central Utah,
>including improvements of over 200,000
>acres of public and private
>land, at a cost of
>over $16 Million dollars.

Something Don can't quite take full credit for so his spin on words and vilification of the forest service.

>Additionally,
>after looking at some data
>provided by SFW at the
>local RAC meetings, and at
>the Board meeting, the DWR
>agreed that it would be
>appropriate to reduce the trophy
>bull elk permit on the
>Dutton to 110, the Road
>area of the Book Cliffs
>to 130 and the Manti
>at 406.

I was a two RAC meetings.....what DATA is he talking about that was provided by SFW? And further, I listened to the entire work and board meeting so I'll ask again, what data was provided by SFW? Are people this lazy that they'll just believe what this bozo says? Really? I like every single member of SFW that I've met. Very good intentions and hard working people. They love their wildlife and they love their heritage of camping, fishing, hunting, and the outdoors in general but I would venture to say that if they took the time to really understand this dink, they wouldn't be so supportive. Why doesn't someone shut him up and return SFW to its members? Make it so that people have nothing to snicker at and make it so that it is noble again because as long as The Don is sending anything out like this, nobody is going to believe a word they say. The Fishlake emails concerning elk, between BGF and SFW....WAY OFF! Hmmmm.....which ORG do we believe there?

>Governor Herbert has been a great
>supporter of sportsmen.
>The DWR Director is aware
>of sportsmen strong support for
>his efforts to protect and
>grow abundant herds in Utah.
> As a result of
>the tremendous support by sportsmen,
>yesterday?s actions won't result in
>another director being fired for
>growing more wildlife.

Great Donald.....that isn't anything of a threat to Jim now. Do what SFW wants or we'll pressure Gubner Herbie to can your butt, would be the translation, right? I'm going to go loose my lunch. Its this bonehead that gives anyone reason to question SFW to begin with. I fail to see why some good hearted people still stick up for such a blatantly dishonest person. Nothing extraordinary happened during the WB meeting except there weren't as many tags cut as was suspected and SFW is silent on the loss of the tags in Piute County at the hands of a landowner. Go ahead and roast away. I could care less how vile and nasty anyone gets toward me, its the truth and the louder people scream at me, the more vindicated I feel I am for speaking out. When's that debate, I'm sure this will be brought up now.

I give Benson credit where credit is due. If you were to sit down and dream up the perfect outdoor related business that would play on the emotional fears of every hunter in the country and fuel their donations to you, pay a nice salary, pay you to travel to shows, expos and hunts, reimburse your day to day expenses, BGF is it.
And the beauty is, you don't have to do anything. You simply take credit for everything related to your mission via mass emails and ignore your naysayers.

>I give Benson credit where credit
>is due. If you were
>to sit down and dream
>up the perfect outdoor related
>business that would play on
>the emotional fears of every
>hunter in the country and
>fuel their donations to you,
>pay a nice salary, pay
>you to travel to shows,
>expos and hunts, reimburse your
>day to day expenses, BGF
>is it.
>And the beauty is, you don't
>have to do anything. You
>simply take credit for everything
>related to your mission via
>mass emails and ignore your
>naysayers.

+10

Real quick, I hunted the Manti for elk LONG BEFORE SFW/BGF. It went spike only LONG BEFORE SFW/BGF, and was on its way to being a PREMIER elk unit in the country, THEN SFW/BGF hoared it out for expo money, 406 "trophy" elk on the manti is TOTALLY INEXCUSIBLE. Sure is good the Monroe and Pahvant will maintain "trophy" animals so the MONEY(see Denny Austad) will continue to have their units, the rest of us can pound sand I guess. SURE IS GOOD THAT SFW/BGF helped out those of us that would like to hunt the biggest unit in the state in favor of their pet units!! NOTE, there isn't 406 6 point bulls on the Manti, let alone "trophy bulls" GOOD JOB AGAIN BOYS!!!!

When they came for the road hunters I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for the oppurtunists I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for the public land hunters I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for me there was no one left to say anything!

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom