upwind or downwind

hunter_614

I have been calling coyotes for 5 or 6 years now and when I started out I always called with the wind in my face, it was frustrating because I seldom had any takers and when I did they were always behind me. So I changed and put the wind to my back and it instantly made a difference I started seeing alot more dogs. I bought an E-Caller a couple of years ago so now I can set the call up crosswind and it is awsome but the dogs still always come from the down wind side of the call. So I guess my question is am I the only one that thinks that calling coyotes is better if the wind is at your back? Really I can sit at the bottom of a draw with the wind blowing down it and nothing will come in but if I sit at the bottom of a draw with the wind blowing up, here come the coyotes???? Give me some input on your experiences, do not make this a fight just a conversation please.

I prefer the wind left or right of the direction im facing I always set the downwind flank about 50 yards of my ecall but leave it in sight if im alone. If I have my buddy with me he or I sit the downwind flank 100 to 200 yards of which ever one of us is doing the calling. Much more success doing this. They always like to check the wind it seems. Ive had them coming head on and then at about 300 yards most circle around to check the wind.

Where I live, wide open is an understatement. My calling partner and I like to set up with the wind paralleling a draw and set the e-call about 200 yards out in the open. That way, to get our wind, they have to expose themselves. If that's not possible, he sets up to see downwind with a rifle, and I set near cover with a shotgun and try to catch them before they can circle us. Our opportunity rate has went up at least 500 percent vs having the wind in our faces.

i think coyotes come from where ever they are. spokes on a wheel.
but they all circle down wind.
the distance away the circle is directly proportional to wind speed. the faster the wind the farther they circle.
i set up with a large opening down wind but sit crosswind and my partner facing the other way still cross wind.
by doing so both of us can shoot and see down wind but try to kill them before they get there.
with no wind they will circle within feet. 10 mph wind 100 ft
40mph 600 yards.
that's why i don't hunt in to strong of wind not only that its unpleasant to hunt in i feel more coyotes will get downwind without us ever seeing them then we will kill.
I'm a little different then contest hunters who play the numbers game. i hunt that one pair or one coyote and if i call him in and mess it up its harder to get him the next time.
best time to kill a coyote is the first time he ever hears a call. nowadays with all the coyote hunters with a foxpro those days are gone.
the other thing making the sport harder is foxpro's sound library.
I've called with a guy that when on stand with him he played Noah's ark every stand. changed sounds every 30 seconds sounded like the ark was sinking. every distressed animal known to man in a 15 minute set. if a coyote or cat did like the sound it never played long enough to bring anything in.

THE WIND IS A UNPREDICTABLE SWHIRLING FACTOR THAT IS A PAIN IN THE BUTT WHEN HUNTING. I USE DEAD DOWN WIND SPRAY IN A BOTTLE, IT DOES HELP. NOT ONLY COVERS HUMAN ORDERS, BUT COVERS OIL,GAS, BACON & EGGS, AND THE REST. IT DOES HELP..............YD.

YD, you are on the money.
If you need to do it for a stupid deer, then x10 for yotes.

booner.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom