UT NR elk application withdraw options

jasn

Hi we're looking to understand our options to withdraw only our NR archery elk application this late in the game (2 people). We applied as a group, and now we both will not be able to hunt due to schedule, work, funds, and conflicting hunts in other states. What I can find online only seems to show options up until the draw deadline, not after, so I'm looking for ALL options here to understand the trade-offs.

Is there an option to do this, withdraw only a species application?
If so, how do I do this, and what is the consequence? (Loss of application fee? Loss of bonus point for this year?)

If no option exist to withdraw only a species application, what are my other options options?
Can I update my credit card information, and purposely enter it incorrectly for a single application?
Has anyone done this? If this is possible, this would eliminate my chances at a tag.

What if I call my credit card and deny the charges ONLY if/when they charge me for a NR elk tag amount?
Has anyone done this? If this works, will I then lose a bonus point for this year for being rejected?

I looked in the regulations, and believe I understand the tag surrender option: no money back, reinstated bonus points, no waiting period if the tag is surrendered 30 days prior to the hunt. However we lose the cost of the NR elk tag with this option, so this is why we're trying to understand other options.

Helpful recommendations are appreciated.

I believe if you were to draw the tag, and returned the tag, you will only be out the application fee. You should get the entire tag fee back if it's returned before 30 days of the hunt. Unless you have a high number of bonus points, and you are close to drawing, you mind as well just stay in the draw.

Lose fee and tag money unless you have
a medical excuse or military deployment you will get points back.
If you stop funds you will be sent to a collection
agency...
Jester

Did ya print your application?

If you did then you have your session ID number.

go back into the application link on the DWR site and put in all your info to start with and scroll down and I think it is the 3 rd option/link to modify your application.

I personally have never done it but I had a buddy last year that did it, he didn't withdraw, he modified it to point code.

Robb

If you draw, you can return the tag and get your points back plus one for this year, you will also get your full tag refund back if done at least 30 days before the hunt.

There is really no penalty here in Utah if you draw the tag and then turn it back in other than losing your $10 application fee and I believe that there is like a $25 permit surrender fee.

You have to dig deeper than the initial page about surrendering the permit to find this

[http://wildlife.utah.gov/rules-regu...-and-reallocation-of-wildlife-documents.html]
R657-42-5. Refunds.
(5)(a)(i) A person may receive a refund for a once-in-a-lifetime or limited-entry permit provided the permit is surrendered to the division no less than 30 days prior to the season opening date identified on the permit

I had a co-worker return his tag last year. Call the DWR and talk with them, they should tell you the same thing.

My 2014 HF claims points would be retained but the tag fee would not be refunded this year. Guess they are wrong?

Member RMEF, Pope & Young Club, NRA, UWC & DP Hate Club

PleaseDear - yes I printed the apps out, thanks I didn't know this was an option.

ElkManDan - thanks for great information, details and links. This is how I thought it worked around 5 years ago last time I checked into this (guess I mistakenly thought the rules had changed somewhere along the way - guess I should have read down to number 6 below).

Refunds
The DWR does not usually issue refunds on permits, licenses or certificates of registration. There are exceptions, however, when refunds can be obtained. If you meet any of the following criteria, you may apply for a refund.

Refunds may be issued if:

1. The person holding the permit, license or COR becomes so ill or injured as to prevent that person from participating in the activity for which the permit was issued.
2. The activity for which the permit, license or COR was issued was cancelled by the DWR.
3. The DWR has erroneously collected a fee.
4. Members of the military called to active duty before the permit, license or COR was used.
5. The person to whom the permit, license or COR was issued dies prior to the authorized activity.
6. The permit is a once-in-a-lifetime or limited-entry permit that was surrendered to the DWR no less than 30 days before the season opening date. (To surrender one of these permits and request a refund, use the Permit surrender form.) This type of refund is subject to a $25 handling fee. If the fee is higher than the cost of your permit, you will not receive a refund.

"My 2014 HF claims points would be retained but the tag fee would not be refunded this year. Guess they are wrong?"

Zim yes there wrong and it's been in there like that for a couple years now.

>"My 2014 HF claims points would
>be retained but the tag
>fee would not be refunded
>this year. Guess they are
>wrong?"
>
>Zim yes there wrong and it's
>been in there like that
>for a couple years now.

I noticed it last year, and HF had it noted correctly then. Given their deal, I think I'm going to start treating my UT apps as strictly backup hunts in case I fail everywhere else. May as well, since there is no penalty for bailing.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-29-14 AT 04:42PM (MST)[p]I called Huntin Fool today on this issue. They had a slightly different draft of the regulations than mine. Although we were both viewing online. I believe the tag refund upon surrendering is valid by my interpretation. But I can see some confusion caused by the clauses under "Surrendering" and "Refunding". It looks like surrendering occurs before 30 days of your hunt. And Refunds refer to post-hunt? Or something. These clauses are poorly written.

This is huge and would affect all my hunt strategies. It's $570 I can't afford to blow for insurance. But it's free I'll apply for my hunt every year and use it as a backup plan. HF is calling a personal contact within UTDOW for clear cut clarification. I am not interested in gambling the least with 18 points.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom