Utah baiting, spot n' stalk, or dogs

broadfork

What do you guys think is the best bet for a bear in Utah. Bait, dogs or glassing? I have hunted bear in Idaho, but in Idaho you can bait, and then if that doesnt work you can run off the bait. Utah won't allow that. What do you think?

I've known a few guys that have archery baited and done without; likewise, I've known a few guys that ran bears with hounds and done without. There are few "for sure deals" in hunting bears. The best bet, as answered on this boards a few years ago, is both, that is hounds and bait but certainly illegal and will get you a felony charge if they catch a person doing that.....

If a person is just after a bear, then either method works--that is archery bait or hounds. If a guy is looking for a nice boar then it gets tougher to produce depending on the unit and a guys skills combined with a little luck. Personally, I'd choose the hounds with a qualified guide....but that doesn't mean a nice boar in the tree or on the ground, just a fair chase chance at one....

ike
http://www.ingramwildlife.com/picture.htm

Thanks for the imput. Do you think that one method might be better for one area and not another? I dont mean to sound ignorant, but I have twice gone bear hunting. One of the two turned out awesome, and I killed a decent boar with dogs. The other I spent a whole week over bait and didnt even see a bear.(both in Idaho)

I just don't know if Utah has enough of a bear density to produce over bait, or glassing. I think I would go with dogs again. Any more imput is appreciated

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom