Utah Bonus Points

W

WORKNMAN

Why is it in Utah the DWR will not allow a hunter to move his bonus points from one species to another. Even if the hunter is willing to pay to do so. And even take a reduction in points to make the move to another species. I currently have 13 Bonus points for Moose....I feel like they are a waste, because the quality of Moose is so low right now. We have hunted the North Slope of the Unita Mountains since 1987, the quality of Moose their has droped off badly over the last 5-7 years.Ogden Valley and Morgan area as well. Hell I didnt give all the Moose in Ogden Valley to Colorado. I didnt mismanage the herd. Why should I pay the price and have a poor hunt because of what others have done. I paid for those Bonus points...they are mine....why can't I move them if I choose to. I would like feedback from others that have points for Moose in Utah that are frustrated also !!! Thanks Guy's...

LAST EDITED ON Dec-30-10 AT 05:24PM (MST)[p]Because a person could do 'points' for several species and then
once he's drawn a specie (Sheep) he could then switch one of his other speices to sheep and draw it again. And repeat that senario several times over. It would be like having 3 or 4 point saving accounts for your favorite specie. Not fair in my book.

I don't know of any other state that will let you move your points to another species no matter how much you pay. And I am glad that Utah will not let folks do that either. Not trying to ruffle your feathers but I think most folks would agree.
And I have not hunted Moose, but I have heard some good things about the Moose hunting in Utah, so I would try and draw a tag soon and then start building points for another species.

I thought UT was a OIL tag for sheep,moose and mountain goat. I don't know of any state that lets you tranfer points from one species to another.

worknman , I hear ya , and feel your pain . I'm in the same boat with utah moose points . We are too far invested to switch for another once in a lifetime critter .

In my case I also have the points to draw a Wyoming moose tag , I'm just waiting until I can devote the time the tag deserves . From studying the drawing odds I know I will hunt moose in Wyoming before I likely draw a moose tag in Utah .

I also understand your frustration on the moose quailty . I work in the Wasatch draw area and I have really seen the quality go down hill .

In my case I made a choice to try for moose and now I have to just deal with the choice I made . I guess deep down I wish they would let me transfer points just like you are proposing , but on the other hand I know that wouldn't be right or the fair thing for other sportsman .

Why didn't you pay the extra $20 to get the crystal ball with your first point? It would have saved you all of this trouble.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

I'm also not aware of any state that lets you move PPs or Bonus Points from one animal to another and it's probably for the reason mentioned above. I imagine it would also be a nightmare for the F&G to try and keep track of something like that. Geez, Arizona is in the dark ages still requires paper applications, while it is so simple in Wyoming now that I can apply on the net and be done within 3 or 4 minutes and know it was done properly and was accepted.

Despite many of the issues with the current moose situation I know of a couple pretty nice bulls harvested this past season.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom