Utah general archery elk

buckhaven

Ok guys I am just wondering some of your methods and tactics of success for archery elk specifically in the Uinta mountain range. I don't claim even for a second to be an expert in this area. I have experienced some success on this mountain with a bow but I have experienced more frustration than anything. I have been on a couple youth elk hunts also with zero success or even any close encounters. I know it's vast with minimal numbers, early hunt dates etc. etc. I backpack in when I hunt there with a bow, trying to up my odds by getting to less pressured elk. I don't experience much success at hearing them bugle or respond to bugles or calls. The reason I bring this here is it seems like I here of people on here calling and working elk in that unit regularly, especially on the youth elk hunt. I don't, and am wondering what I am missing or need to do different. Looking for real discussion and not a cut down session. I really am curious of some of the things you all do to be successful at at least working them with calls. Again I am far from experienced in this topic. Thanks in advance.

With More & Excessive Hunting Pressure along with Warmer Fall weather We've had for several years now the Bulls have been kinda Quiet during your Time of hunting them!

But that Hasn't Stopped Thousands of STICKFLIPPERS From Blowing Their Calls just as Loud as they can Blow them for Weeks before a Real Bugle is even Heard or made!

I Don't know if you're Talkin the North Slope?

Or the South Slope?

But the South Slope gets Hit Hard!

When it takes a TARD 2 to 4 years to Draw a General Deer Tag!

Them TARDS Still wanna Hunt!

So what do they do when they Don't Draw a Deer Tag?

They Buy a General Elk Tag & Hammer the Uinta's!

These Elk are Well Educated & Get Hunted for Months!

They Hunt Cows in to January sometimes!

Alot of Hunters Will Slap 2 Cow Tags on top of their Bull Tag!

They even see movement of the right color it's gonna get shot at with both a Bull & Cow Tag in their Pockets!

The Pressure has been Un-Believable the last several years!

Calls are GREAT!

But they need to be used when the Time is Right!

I know so many people in so many places
They make allot of money but they got sad faces

It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

The Uintah mountain range is a large target.

There is not much use in calling where there are no elk.
So, the most important thing is to be near elk.

Are you seeing sign?

If you are in an area of heavy use they won't call.
Too much activity or people calling just for the hell of it really shuts things down.

Sometimes you get much more mileage out of just listening. If a bull is talking he is giving you his location. That is really valuable. Sometimes calling will screw things up.

You can't force them to talk.

I have had success on the North Slope. You need to realize that you can go days without a visual. You can also see them every day. I have had times where we had a good hunt but some of the guys in camp never even saw a single elk.

Move and keep your options open. It can be really challenging.

Hunted both south and north. Does seem like more pressure on the south for sure. We were seeing fresh sign but couldn't turn anything up with minimal glassing openings. I feel like I'm hunting Bigfoot!

Welcome to elk hunting let alone archery elk hunting. It isn't easy and success isn't high.

don't give up, try try and try again. It will come together. Play the wind, keep an eye out for feeding areas.

If you guys hear a bugle do you try and position yourself in front? It seems impossible to get in front of them especially when they are traveling into the wind. Or do you try and call back? I have tried to call and it seems like they just give me the hoof. Is it more beneficial to just forget the calls in most instances, I say most cause if there is a hot cow that's when I have had success using calls but that's only happened once. Do you find better success just ambushing feeding areas that show sign? Seems like they are already gone from feeding area at light and in transition to bed. Do you guys try a calling sequence if you can find where they are bedding? Or is that a dead end. This seems to work for some in areas but the Unitas seem to never work that way. Thanks for all the help. I hunted my ass off from Sunday through fri last week and only laid eyes on a group of 4 elk as we just crossed paths, but of course they busted. Maybe backpacking in does not offer an advantage, just depends on the elk behavior maybe. I heard a couple bugles and called back and nothing, then I heard another bugle a few days later and didn't know what to do so I just tried to intercept to no avail. I'm sure you have all done the same, I just am at a loss how to hunt elk efficiently up there.

I was backpacked in on the NS Sunday to Friday as well. Saw fresh tracks/poop a couple times, heard 1 bugle and saw 1 elk.
This is an area that I've gotten into elk before.
There were a couple other tents in there and at least one other I talked to. Maybe that was enough pressure to affect the elk?
I'm wondering if it would be better to day hunt from road and cover a new area everyday until you turn up promising sign or actual elk.

Mtn I'm wondering the same thing. Once you backpack in your committed to that general area unless you leave and relocate, which Is an option but then if your doing that you may as well just hit diff spots til you find something. I hate to give up on backpacking just cause there is definitely less pressure but that doesn't equal success always. It frustrates me cause we were on fresh sign but just could not catch them making a mistake or feeding or anything. I do think they were out with the moon but I thought with the weather overcast all night on tues night maybe something would change, but no. Sorry all not wanting to sound negative but just not sure what to do. Thanks for the comments. Sounds like the norm and just got to keep grinding just not sure on the smartest grinding methods.

PM

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom