Wanton Waste?

jray

Just curious what everyone's opinion is on wanton waste of an animal? More specifically, in your opinion, how soon should someone retrieve the animal after knowingly killing it? I would hope this is pretty black and white but just curious on everybody's opinion.

We have killed elk and left them on mtn couple days. Gutted at least, generally quartered. Colder on top, usually fewer flies and bees.

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun"

Animal should be processed ASAP. Every situation is different. Wounded animals might be best left alone overnight. Most states require retrieval of 4-quarters, backstrap and tenderloins. Personally the ribs are my favorite and the neck meat makes for good burger/stew meat.??

Any big game animal needs to be dressed/or skinned and quartered ASAP. It only takes a short time after death for a deer or especially elk/moose to spoil. I know, I will catch a lot of flack for this, but I see many bowhunters on the outdoor shows "when in doubt back out" and return the next day. I hear many local archers and some gun hunters saying the same thing. The animal left overnight in warm weather is spoiled!! No one wants to eat the meat, or if they do try it, complain it is gamey and only fit for the dog. An angus steer would be gamey under the same conditions. We owe the animal to make every effort to immediately follow up our shot (arrow or bullet) and either finish the job or start skinning and quartering. Sometimes an animal cannot be found quickly. We all have or will have that happen, but to not even look or try tracking and leave the meat to spoil only to recover a rack is irresponsible in my opinion. Ok, off my soap box. Take your shots but that is my feeling

>Any big game animal needs to
>be dressed/or skinned and quartered
>ASAP. It only takes
>a short time after death
>for a deer or especially
>elk/moose to spoil. I
>know, I will catch a
>lot of flack for this,
>but I see many bowhunters
>on the outdoor shows "when
>in doubt back out" and
>return the next day. I
>hear many local archers and
>some gun hunters saying the
>same thing. The animal
>left overnight in warm weather
>is spoiled!! No one
>wants to eat the meat,
>or if they do try
>it, complain it is gamey
>and only fit for the
>dog. An angus steer
>would be gamey under the
>same conditions. We owe
>the animal to make every
>effort to immediately follow up
>our shot (arrow or bullet)
>and either finish the job
>or start skinning and quartering.
>Sometimes an animal cannot be
>found quickly. We all
>have or will have that
>happen, but to not even
>look or try tracking and
>leave the meat to spoil
>only to recover a rack
>is irresponsible in my opinion.
> Ok, off my soap
>box. Take your shots
>but that is my feeling
>

I agree with what you have said. Especially when it comes to the deer and elk my family eats. But then you have bear and Cougar ect .Some states differ on these if you have to pack out any of the meat.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-25-16 AT 02:05PM (MST)[p]My opinion is nobody should wantonly waste a big game animal. It is illegal.

And you should retrieve it as soon as possible.

I never thought of wanton waste as failure to recover. I know of plenty of instances where the hunter made every effort to recover an injured animal, but failed. It is likely that some of the animals in question survived.

To me, wanton waste means that one allowed an animal to spoil deliberately or out of gross neglect. For example, if someone recovered only part of the animal, or allowed even the part removed from the field to rot after it arrived at his vehicle or home because one was ill-equipped to care for it. What makes the waste "wanton," in my opinion, is the lack of effort on the part of the hunter.

If a hunter is going to eat the meat but doesn't get it out for a couple days that's one thing. I have heard of guys shooting a nice deer then realize how far they are from the truck and decide to take just the back straps or hind quarters leaving the front shoulders out of laziness. That is wanton waste and pi$$es me off. Don't be lazy.

not sure what you are asking here, do you mean what about someone shooting an animal then walking up to it and just leaving it lay there? that is poaching.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

wanton waste is usually associated with intentionally killing an animal and leaving it to spoil, but probably could apply to someone who didn't exercise reasonable care to prevent spoilage of a legal kill too.

Probably "buried" down in your state's hunting regulations is a definition of wanton waste. Or, you could ask the janitor......:)

>not sure what you are asking
>here, do you mean what
>about someone shooting an animal
>then walking up to it
>and just leaving it lay
>there? that is poaching.
>
>Mntman
>
>"Hunting is where you prove yourself"
>

My main question is if you see a fellow hunter shoot and undoubtedly kill an animal, how quickly do you believe they should begin tending to their kill?

ahhh, I feel that is a loaded question :)

Usually what happens with our kills we take pics, if its a big buck/bull it takes longer. Reason is we may re-position it, clear out vegetation in front and behind to eliminate "photo" distractions etc.. So it may take an hour before we start working on animal.
Usually within about 30 minutes.
The time I shot my biggest buck I actually went to get my Dad so we could take pics first, that might have been 90-120 minutes??? Was cold and snow on ground though.

I do not believe there is any hard answer to this, as long as meat is recovered and good then I don't have issue.
about as clear as muddy water... ;)

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

shot my pisscutter yesterday at 5 pm on mount dutton. Typing this now at 645 pm from Indianola while eating its backstraps...MMMMMMMMM

Thanks for the response. The reason I asked the question is because I witnessed a hunter drop a trophy buck in its tracks at 5:30 pm and he did not retrieve it until 11 am the following morning. By then I guarantee the meat is spoiled especially with the warm temps we had at the time. So I was just curious if I'm crazy in thinking that a hunter should tend to his kill right away? It shows to me that this tool had zero respect for the animal and just wanted the rack. I'll be the first to admit that I'm a horn Hunter but I love the meat and it kills me to know that buck went to waste.

I do not see how anyone can proudly hang a rack on their wall knowing that animal died to satisfy the inches demand. I noticed a youtube video a while back where they shot an elk in the evening, took pictures and celebrated. Then they came back in the morning for more pics and video with other folks that were not part of the time of kill. The bull was still complete, no gutting had been done. just propping the thing up to tell the story of how it happened. What an injustice to that animal!

For those who hunt and like to kill trophy animals, Do the work you committed to when you purchased the tag and haul out the meat. At the very least, give it to someone who will appreciate it more than you.

I hate to stereotype folks, but people that waste an animal probably have no respect for nature, and are probably responsible for trashing our forests with all their garbage that they don't see the need to pack out.

...so...if you get it all home and in the freezer to the satisfaction of the state....then throw it away 10 years later all freezer burned....is that wanton waste???

>>Thanks for the response. The reason
>>I asked the question is
>>because I witnessed a hunter
>>drop a trophy buck in
>>its tracks at 5:30 pm
>>and he did not retrieve
>>it until 11 am the
>>following morning. By then I
>>guarantee the meat is spoiled
>>especially with the warm temps
>>we had at the time.
>>So I was just curious
>>if I'm crazy in thinking
>>that a hunter should tend
>>to his kill right away?
>>It shows to me that
>>this tool had zero respect
>>for the animal and just
>>wanted the rack. I'll be
>>the first to admit that
>>I'm a horn Hunter but
>>I love the meat and
>>it kills me to know
>>that buck went to waste.
>>
>
>I'm wondering what the hunters reaction
>was like when he came
>back to his buck and
>found the ears cut off
>by some other anger hunter?
>
>
>
>Proud member of the Wolfpack!

The plot thickens?

...so...if you get it all home and in the freezer to the satisfaction of the state....then throw it away 10 years later all freezer burned....is that wanton waste???

No, that's like marrying a super model and then neglecting her for 10 years. Just a damned shame.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-11-17 AT 08:43PM (MST)[p]I have only backed out one time on a hunt and it was on an archery bull elk hunt. I got a shot off but could not find my arrow or blood because it got dark. The next morning I went back and found my clean arrow. I made the right call in that situation.

I like to get all game animals on ice ASAP or at least opened up and letting the heat out. Knock on wood, I have never had meat spoil on me.

Wanton is normally joined with either willingly, knowingly, or intentionally phrases in court.

Personally, I eat pretty much everything I shoot except coyotes.

Dillon
Www.dillonhoyt.com

>LAST EDITED ON Mar-11-17
>AT 08:43?PM (MST)

>
>I have only backed out one
>time on a hunt and
>it was on an archery
>bull elk hunt. I got
>a shot off but could
>not find my arrow or
>blood because it got dark.
>The next morning I went
>back and found my clean
>arrow. I made the right
>call in that situation.
>
>I like to get all game
>animals on ice ASAP or
>at least opened up and
>letting the heat out. Knock
>on wood, I have never
>had meat spoil on me.
>
>
>Wanton is normally joined with either
>willingly, knowingly, or intentionally phrases
>in court.
>
>Personally, I eat pretty much everything
>I shoot except coyotes.
>
>Dillon
>Www.dillonhoyt.com

Well, We can change that.

http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3722097/Best__tasting__Coyote

Jray did you throw out the ear or did you eat it.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Here in southern New Mexico we try to get them processed and out of the field ASAP. Best eating deer I ever killed actually left overnight until I got some help. Really turned out good eating.

Maybe you guys should expose this famed hunting location..perhaps you could strike a deal with "Bad Girls" or "Housewives of Utah"
You might make a fortune.

Best eating deer I
>ever killed actually left overnight
>until I got some help.
>Really turned out good eating.
>
Hmmm,that goes against everything I've ever been told or read but that's exactly what happened to me last season.

I arrowed a good 10 point WT just before dark and after waiting the traditional 30 minutes I went to find him. After about 5 minutes my flashlight batteries started taking a crap on me. With no blood trail I was just randomly searching until I only had enough light to see 2 feet in front of me. I had heard my arrow crack ribs so I knew he was there but reluctantly left.

Worried that the Coyotes would find him during the night I was back before sunrise. As soon as I got there I could plainly see that big bloated white belly from 100 yards away, plain as day right near where I'd been searching.

Not as good as a young Deer obviously but turned out to my surprise to be one of the best eating bucks I've ever killed.

>Maybe you guys should expose this
>famed hunting location..perhaps you could
>strike a deal with "Bad
>Girls" or "Housewives of Utah"
>
>You might make a fortune.

There's enough people to share this spot with already. Don't really need anymore helpers in the area

>>Maybe you guys should expose this
>>famed hunting location..perhaps you could
>>strike a deal with "Bad
>>Girls" or "Housewives of Utah"
>>
>>You might make a fortune.
>
>
>There's enough people to share this
>spot with already. Don't really
>need anymore helpers in the
>area

Come On!

I Wanna Hunt it!

And Box it out for the Buck!:D

[Font][Font color = "blue"]I Changed My Signature Just for NVB!
Like 6 Damn Times Now!

Left a deer overnight due to crazy circumstances, went back the next day to get him and was also the best deer I have ever tasted. It was cold and snowy. Read more about it on New Mexico Forum "Quest for Cliff", but best tasting deer ever and I didn't think it was going to taste worth a crap.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom