Wasatch Front Access Question

jr8fish

So, I am looking at areas along the wasatch front that I am interested in archery hunting(deer and elk) this coming season. I have been looking at the mountains above emigration canyon but not back as far as east canyon. The great western trail runs through this section. I am looking particularly at Grandview Peak and Lookout Peak. Looking at a map showing national forest and private land boundaries, it looks like there are large sections of private mixed with large sections of national forest in this area.

These peaks are right about 9-10000 feet so it seems weird that there is private land this high. The way I understand the law here in Utah is that private property has to be properly posted for it to be trespassing. The great western trail is a pretty well used trail that goes through the private property. Can you hunt the private property that is interspersed in the national forest if it is not posted?

Does anybody have experience hunting this area? Is the private land posted? I know some landowners dont post their land cuz they dont care if you hunt on it.... I was wondering if this is the case with private property in this area?

If you cannot answer the question directly, can you guide me to an agency/someone that can answer the question?

Thanks for your help.... You can PM me if necessary.

Utah does not require private land to be posted to be closed.

You can't hunt the private land the trail goes through without permission.

sled_guy

It's hardscrabble and they aren't very nice! We were on horses on the old western trail just below Grandview peak and ran into one of there patrols. They told us to either turn around and head straight back where we came from or we were all getting trespassing tickets.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the heads up on the CWMUs. Kateraxl is right... it is the Hardscrabble CWMU that is in this area. I have looked at all the other CWMU's and this is the only one that's close to the area I want to hunt.

Actually, I am more interested in the area south of the hardscrabble CWMU. More on the south side of grandview peak and the area around lookout peak.

I am attaching a picture of a map I created. I have a program that shows the public land on a map, and I super imposed the hardscrabble CWMU map from the DWR website on top of it. The areas marked in green are national forest (legally huntable), the areas not marked in green are private property, the area in purple is the hardscrabble cwmu, and the areas circled in orange are the areas that I am interested in hunting. Note that the dotted white line that bisects the map is the great western trail.

Does anybody have experience hunting this area south of Hardscrabble CWMU? Is the private property in the areas that I have highlighted in orange off limits? or is it not posted? I know there is private property out there that isnt posted cuz they dont care if it is hunted.

If anybody has any info about this area I would greatly appreciate it. I have not hunted the area, I have only scouted it and it looks steep and tasty... Perfect for the DIY that I have in mind. IF anybody has any info on the quality of the hunting I would appreciate any info I could get.

I am basically now trying to decide if it is worth my time going to the county recorded to find out whose land it is and contacting them to see if they will allow me to hunt it. If anybody has any info regarding the likelihood or the unlikelihood of getting permission... please share.... is it worthy my time pursing permission?... I will NOT pay to get access?

IF this area does not work out, is there another area you would recommend with the 4/5/6 chalk creek/east canyon archery deer tag and a general archery bull tag?

PM me please if you have any helpful info to share..

I appreciate your help.

Thanks

James

2251grandview_peak_hunting_area.jpg

jr8

The city creek canyon is all huntable, forest service and what is depicted as private. It's a water shed so you are not allowed to take horses into the canyon or overnight camp. The top of emigration canyon can be hunted as well. You can access these areas on the great western (GW) trail from big mountain during hunting season. Hardscrabble patrols are not supposed to stop you on the GW trail if you are not hunting or carrying a weapon. City creek canyon is only accessable during daylight hours because of the locked gate and vehicles are only allowed up the canyon to a trailhead in the summer and only on even # days. There is the black mountain trail you can hike up, but do not drop off into pinecrest or red butte (this canyon is a no public access allowed). Muller park trail can get you up to grandview, it's a long steep hike. This is the way I usually access the areas you have circled. It is steep and nasty as you guessed.

Smokepole

Another option is hunting from the other side from the road that goes from I-80 to East Canyon, but south of the resort property. Very steep country...you'll want to wear your billy goat shoes.

United Wildlife Cooperative
Twisted Archer Custom Bowstrings

If I had more time I would say, let's go check it out. I personally have never hunted that area but all of those canyons look like they would hold some good bucks.

I don't think there is any other quality
so essential to success of any kind as the
quality of perseverance. It overcomes
almost everything, even nature.
-John D. Rockefeller

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom