Wasatch Goat

Fungus

I was very lucky and drew the Non-resident goat tag for the Wasatch. I've looked over the area and it looks like it is fairly straight forward on where the goats will be.I was lucky enough to hunt goats in Montana a few years back and hunted the second week of October. The goats hair was super long at that time.

My question is how late can a person typically access that area and what are some thoughts on when goats have their optimal coats.

Always appreciate any insight on this hunt.

Fungus

I'm looking out my office window at the mountain right now! I've live in the shadow of the Wasatch for over 6 decades and the best advice on weather that I can give is: It depends!

Some years you can hike to the top of Provo, Boxelder or Lone peak well into late Oct, even Nov but every once in awhile we'll get early storms the first of October that would make travel up the trails difficult at best (but these are rare)

I'd guess that you'd be just fine the second week of Oct.... but that's only a guess since I'm not a weatherman. ha

good luck with your great tag
Zeke

Thanks Zeke,

Always a gamble with the weather. Any thoughts on when the goat's Hair gets into full winter mode?

I was in Salt Lake last week and was able to look around. Looks like tons of access points. Any thoughts on which of the sub units? Doesn't sound like hunting pressure will be much of an issue.

Fungus

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe you can hunt all the sub-units.

It's been a year since I was on top of Boxelder but the numbers seem to be down just a little. My son has been on top of Boxelder and Lone 4-5 times and about the same for Timp in the past year and always find plenty of goats everywhere he goes (he's training for the Wasatch 100 mile race and just completed a 50 miler last Saturday and felt good. Brag-dad)

Provo peak is tough and possible better left to the local guys. It's been about 5 years since I was on the top of that peak but we saw goats.

Timp.... ah Timpanogos! There are lots of goats and some really good ones there too but the hikers might be a bit "anti" so be discreet. My son ran into a couple guys scouting for goats, last year, and struck up a conversation with them but they were pretty coy until my son announced he had a desert sheep tag. They opened up after that and said they'd found a handful of good billies.

There you have it. Goats are not hard to find but selecting the right one for you might take some time and effort. All the areas that you can hunt will produce good goats so have at it and enjoy the great tag.

Hope that helps,
Zeke

I was wondering about the non hunter traffic in that area. Good to know that the antis will be there.

I shot a billy in Montana with my bow and would like to go after one with my recurve. Sounds like some good bullies live in that area so maybe I will change my mind if I find a big one.

I was hoping to use my mules to get back in but it doesn't appear to be that difficult to get into.

Thanks for your willingness with information

Fungus

Fungus,
Zeke has given you some good tips on the area, but he may have mislead you about the access. No doubt you can climb any of those mountains, but all trailheads are 4-5 miles from the top of all goat hang-outs. By the time you hike top the top the day is half spent. If I had mules I would consider bringing them along to help you enjoy the process. Maybe hauling mules all the way down from big sky country would be a pain, but unless you are a serious hiking/running nut like Zeke's boy, you'd best be in tip top condition if you go "shank's pony".

(Advice from an old guy)

Thanks for the advice. I'm not quite as young as I used to be. Certainly not running around in mountains like these.

I am leaning towards Timpanogos and it looks like some of the trails don't allow horses . Part of the fun is in taking the animals. I might need to focus on other areas.

Thanks again

Fungus

LAST EDITED ON Jun-12-16 AT 08:29PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jun-12-16 AT 06:58?PM (MST)

Fungus,
I just looked on the USFS Pleasant Grove Ranger District site and it says the Timpooneke trail allows horses up into the Timp area. I think most trails other than the ones above Salt Lake City with allow ponies.
I also know the trails up and around Boxelder and Silver Lake allow horse travel if you want to drag steeds down here.
It's my experience that the Timp area non-hunting use declines significantly in the Fall and the later you go the less granola traffic you will encounter. In the summer months there are lots of hikers out and about, but most stick to the major trails and come Fall there will be some camo-clad folks joining you with elk and deer hunts going on.

Fun Gus,I also live near Wasatch unit and have hunted both Box Elder Peak and Timpanogos...my son drew a tag 2 years ago And have helped on a few other goat hunts in the Wasatch sub units.Feel free to send a pm and I will share my knowledge

>Fun Gus,I also live near Wasatch
>unit and have hunted both
>Box Elder Peak and Timpanogos...my
>son drew a tag 2
>years ago And have helped
>on a few other goat
>hunts in the Wasatch sub
>units.Feel free to send a
>pm and I will share
>my knowledge

Dickndirt,

I was hoping you'd chime in since you've hunted both sub-units and been in there many times. I'm sure Fungus will take you up on your generous offer of sharing solid info!

Zeke

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom