Washington hunting

Is there any good hunting opportunities around the Newport, Priest River area for big game. If so is it over the counter or draw only. Interested in hunting elk, mule deer, moose, or whitetail.

If I was going to hunt Eastern WA I'd look to Idaho for Elk and Bear? You can still bait and use hounds in Idaho? All the GOOD Elk,Deer and Moose in WA. are draw!!!Good Luck

LAST EDITED ON Jan-08-07 AT 06:16PM (MST)[p]Well, all the GOOD moose hunting in Wa. are draw only, but most of the better deer and elk are not. It just takes homework and a willing to travel to other parts of the state. As far as NE WA bear, try the Kettle Crest Range.
Eric
deerline.gif

We've harvested one bear and had opportunity on three others in the last five years in the NE during general deer season, though they are tough to "go and look for". You pretty much find 'em by accident. They are liable to be anywhere. You hear some locals say different and in drought years it may be otherwise, but mostly that's the case.

Best bear hunting in the state is over there for trophyclass bear. There has been no hounds or baiting over here even longer than the rest of the state because of Grizzly. There are huge tracts of public land with limited access again because of the bears. Some of the largest elk are there and you can shoot any bull, not having to be drawn. I think the biggest muledeer are there, even better than Chelan. Just look at bc boys pictures. Same genetics and minerals. Hard to find but they are there. Whitetail hunting is obvious. Moose is draw, and the only place to draw to hunt them. Pay a little money and you have the same and better on the Idaho side. Does that answer your question?

we're hoping to tag out on turkeys early this year and try again to find those dang elk. sign everywhere, no elk to be found last year....maybe this year.

Polar Bear I'm gust wondering which of the GOOD Deer and Elk Units are not on a draw? Thanks

i don't know for sure but i think all of the northeast gmu's down to spokane and maybe further are any bull units for elk. the problem is finding them. i think this year my buddies and i are going to do more homework and try to find them. we saw lots of sign turkey hunting last spring so we will continue the search. deer...not sure.

Slider. Okanogan, Sherman & Stevens to name a few for both whitetails and mule deer. As far as "GOOD" elk units, all I know are on the West side of the state and contain great bulls, if you (like any where else) are willing to do some work. Ryderwood, Clearwater, Lewis River & Packwood are some great open public hunts that produce great bulls every year.
Eric
deerline.gif

LAST EDITED ON Jan-10-07 AT 01:48PM (MST)[p]So was this one, but he is done spreading his genes.
ferrycountybadboy.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Jan-10-07 AT 03:14PM (MST)[p]Here is my 2005 otc public land (Randle) archery bull.
bull1.jpg

Here is my 2004 otc public land (Marble) archery bull. The dink 2x3 blackie is from 2005 and thrown in for size reference. Haahaaa.
Picture044.jpg

Eric
deerline.gif

LAST EDITED ON Jan-10-07 AT 05:49PM (MST)[p]Thats him on the right in the second pic. Here is a couple from the boiling pot.

T-daybull.jpg

t-daybull2.jpg

Eric
deerline.gif

Nice Bull Polarbear. I quess I thought he was asking about rifle hunts? The GOOD Hunts I was talking about are the Rut Hunts or November Hunts for Deer and the September Hunts for Elk. The East Slopes of the Cascades are Migratory Deer and in the General or (OTC Tag) the Deer are few and far between. Excellent White Tail and Turkey in Eastern Washington. Mountainstalker just be aware that WA State has a point system and you acrue points until you are drawn for a tag. And that includes if you are drawn first,second,third or fouth choice!!! Once you are drawn your points go to zero and you start over again!!! Good Luck

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom