WESTERN HUNTING AND CONSERVATION EXPO?

22BR

IN THE SUMMER ISSUE OF WILD SHEEP, PAGE 34 THEY GIVE THE DATES OF THE EXPO. IN UTAH FOR 2009 AND RENO FOR 2010.
MY QUESTION IS WILL THE 200 PLUS UTAH CONSERVATION TAGS BE GOING TO RENO IN 2010, IF SO WHY.
THESE WERE GIVEN TO THE EXPO WITH PROMISES OF MONEY COMING INTO THE STATE WITH THE EXPO.
I WOULD NOT THINK THEY SHOULD GO OUT OF STATE.
DON PAEY PLEASE CLARIFY.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-03-08 AT 01:40PM (MST)[p]If our tags don't go to Nevada, Which they shouldn't, It will be interresting to see how many Nevada will pony up to the expo, 200, I doubt it.
All hell will break loose if they take our tags to another state. One of the biggest arguments was that the expo generates economical boosts from airfair, to hotels to food, for our local cities. I'll be darned ticked if I have to go to Nevada to apply for our own tags.

Put it in Reno. Then More people from the west coast might go ( i will ). I could drive and not fly. Then they will make more money( they like $$$ ).

CRAIG,
IT WILL BE IN RENO IN 2010. WE ARE JUST TRYING TO FIND OUT IF THEY ARE GOING TO TRY AND TAKE THE 200 PLUS UTAH CONSERVATION TAGS WITH THEM, I BELIEVE THIS WOULD BE WRONG FOR THEM TO DO IF IT IS NOT HELD IN UTAH. THIS WAS NOT THERE ARGEEMENT WITH THE STATE AND HUNTERS OF UTAH THAT ARE LOSING THESE TAGS.

I'm glad you pointed this out. It will be interesting to see what happens. It is my understanding that the 200 tags was locked into a five year contract. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Man that is crap. If they are going to do the show in Nevada, then get the Nevada DWR to pony up the tags for there own freaking state for the draws. Utah tag better stay here in Utah.

DeadI/Jared
46e8aeb1660028c5.gif

I have heard there is a scheduling conflict with the convention center in 2010. Because of this they will move to Reno for that year and then be back in Salt Lake in 2011.

Also, aren't they taking a few tags and making them availible to non-Utah residents only? To me that violates the 5 year agreement, too.

Apparently SFW doesn't have to abide by their own rules. That is ridiculous if there are non-resident only tags and if they move 200 utah tags to another state. That was one of their big points to get the tags in the first place was that it will bring money to our community with the expo. I am glad that these 200 tags are available by drawing instead of selling only to the wealthy but this is getting out of hand. I understand the benefit of conservation tags but utah has more then most western states combined. And how much money from these tags goes to habitat projects on private land? A lot.

Last I had heard they had not decided what to do with the tags exactly other then they will not leave utah. They were talking about making the application process availible in 3 differnt locations one in southern utah one in central and one up north during other SFW, MDF or Sheep banquets.

Its kind of odd that was the whole purpose of these tags was to generate tax revenue and business to salt lake, but due to a scheduling conflict that could have or should have been known when they proposed this whole mess the show is going to reno.

THE QUESTIONS THAT WE ARE ASKING WOULD BE ANSWERED IF SOMEONE FROM SFW WOULD LET US KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING.
IF TAGS WENT TO RENO WOULD THAT MEAN WE COULD ONLY PUT IN IF AT THE SHOW AS THEY SET UP IN THE FIRST PLACE?
I BELEIVE THAT SFW HAVE DONE ALOT FOR WILDLIFE IN UTAH, BUT MY CONCERN IS THEY DID NOT KNOW WHEN ENOUGH WAS ENOUGH WITH THE CONSERVATION TAGS. JUST ASKED TO MUCH FROM UTAH HUNTERS. UTAH GIVES OUT MORE CONSERVATION TAGS THAN ALL WESTERN STATES COMBINED! WHY HAVE NO OTHER STATES WITH MULE DEER, SHEEP, ETC. KICKED IN TAGS FOR THIS CONVENTION AND NOT JUST UTAH?

Are you telling me that there is only one place that the Expo can be held in Utah? Come on! You're right FLEH, this is BS!

While they were working so hard to swindle so many tags from utah you would think maybe someone could have made the call to schedule the expo center. If the contract gave them tags for five years (1000 tags) then they dam well should have scheduled for five years.

If Utah doesn't hold the expo, should they still be in control of the 200 tags? Seems odd if they are in control of that many tags with no expo. I know they have enough power and the smarts to find another place to hold the expo in Utah.

I'm a little out of the loop on this lately so I won't say much and I have no idea what is going to happen with those tags however, I will say that Utah giving these 200 Expo tags stunk to high heaven from the get go.......

Don't try to tell me that you are helping me to get a good tag by taking it out of the regular limited entry drawing where I have been building bonus points for years and putting it into a free for all drawing at an outdoor expo. That is THE biggest bunch of bull I have ever heard, period!

While I do believe that the conservation organizations have done great things for our state's wildlife, and I have no problem with conservation tags being auctioned to big money hunters in order to raise funds for wildlife, I believe that a line must be drawn somewhere, and that line should be right where SFW starts telling flat out LIES to the public, and STEALING their precious few limited entry tags in order to further their own agenda.

They obviously have no shame!

If you ask me the DNR should tell them to shove it and simply put the 200 tags back in the drawing where we all truly do have a fair and equal chance to get them.

Someone mentioned it in an earlier post. But if any of you guys watched trail of the sportsmans a few week ago they said that there is going to be two Non-resident sheep tags at the Expo. I just looked at the expos website and they have added two more sheep tags than last year. If they are going to exlude residents from those two tags, the non residents should be exculde from the other 198 tags.

Take out more than you brought in!

The whole thing has been BAD from the get-go. Do away with it and put the 200 tags back into the pool.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-04-08 AT 12:05PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Sep-04-08 AT 12:04?PM (MST)

Plane Ticket to Reno...$500.00

Hotel Room.....$400.00

Gambling Money....$1000.00

Going to the Expo(in Reno).... $300.00

Taking A "Coveted Tag" from a Utard in Nevada......Priceless :)

hey Preston, maybe u wouldnt mind cluein me in on how a scheduling conflict is outright lies. thats a pretty bold accusation. and let me say again that the tags aint leavin utah. if the expo ends up bein moved for good then the tags go back in the draw. no utah convention tags are leavin utah.

I bet if it was put to a vote most people would want the 200 tags put back into the draw plus many of the other auction tags. It is hard enough to draw a good tag in this state and with close to 500 tags getting auctioned off so a wealthy person can kill a monster every year the average person doesn't stand a chance. I know that conservation tags have done a lot of good but these groups are getting greedy. It also bothers me how much money from these tags is used on projects on private ground and how much of the money raised goes un-accounted for. I'm sure that a henry's deer tag would put a nice down payment on a large house right in prime mule deer winter range in draper for a certain president of one of these groups.

none of the money is unaccounted for. all the projects are approved by the habitat committee. and none of the presidents of the three groups live in draper. nice try ryan.

10r good buddy how are you its been a while.

Although i agree that the tags will not leave utah I have a hard time both as a member of SFW and the MDF and as a representative of a company who has donated thousands to both orgonizations, how we can justify taking the expo out of utah.

I have no problem with the tags and the expo as it was proposed, that it would bring money to utahs wildlife and as importently to utahs economy. What i have a problem with and this is my opinion not a fact, but the way i see it is that due to the fact that the rmef did not join in the expo it caused a major problem that was not brought to the attention of the public. The reason the expo cannot be held in utah is because the rmef has the salt palace booked for its expo.

Can these groups take the tags and find a fair way to give them out and raise money i say yes, but does it not completly go in the face of everything that was promised to utahs economy and sportsman for giving these tags, i think its pretty hard to argue otherwise.

The 200 tags has always bothered me a bit, but I can only trust it will go to benefit all.

As I read down this post, the SFW President says the tags are not leaving Utah. The debate goes on how the tags going to Reno will piss people off and how much it will cost. Read what was said twice guys, the TAGS ARE NOT LEAVING UTAH. This is what I got out of the posts.

Making a NR travel to Utah has always been my gripe, but that is my personal opinion. I am a NR in 49 other states and I could not travel to apply either, so I can sympathize.

Like i said before if the expo was to leave for good then the tags would go back in the draw.The scheduling problem is something that we will have to work around for a year. i dont like it either.We didnt plan on it. But we'll just have to deal with it for a year. Honestly i dont know what else to say.I wish it was here in 2010. But it aint. And i dont think one year is worth throwing the baby out with the bath water over. You guys may see it different. Thats fine. Im just given my oppinion. But I do think this year and 2011 will be great here in Utah. Then we'll take another look and see how things went,and go from there.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-04-08 AT 04:16PM (MST)[p]John,

As I said, I have (had) no idea if the tags were staying or not. I am very pleased to hear that they are.

I have no problem with the scheduling conflict (although I would have guessed that to be a little better planned out prior to SFW getting our tags), the problem I have is two fold....

1. SFW has billed these tags as the poor man's fair and equal chance to get their hands on the tags that typically are only available through auction to big money hunters. This couldn't be further from the truth and you know it. Anyone that says otherwise is either a liar or a fool, and this is what I was referring to when I was talking about "flat out lies".

2. I sat in the Central Region RAC meeting when this was all proposed and watched an entire room full of people voice their questions, concerns, and opposition to giving these tags until they had a better outline of the plan. Despite the overwhelming opposition from the public, and with no real answers being provided I watched in disbelief as the RAC members, including you John, went ahead and voted in favor of it anyway. It was obvious to me that the RAC had been bought and paid for long before the meeting took place and it was a verification to me of the corrupt politics and flawed RAC system. I don't care if it is the best idea in the world, when an entire room opposes a proposal, it should be looked at more closely before being approved. I would guess similar things occured in the other RAC meetings.

Ty,

From what I read, John said, The tags will not leave the state permanantly. I beleive he is saying they are leaving Utah for 1 year and then will be back the following year.

John,

Good to hear from you and thanks for coming on here to explain, can you clarify? Are 200 tags leaving Utah for 1 year? If so, you are going to have a PR nightmare. That is bogus and better not happen. If you are going to leave UTAH'S tags in Utah, then more power to ya. I truly hope you are not taking Utah's tags out of state. If so, I would advise you find another way. That must and can not happen. That is just not right on any level of thinking. Change the dates or whatever you have to do, Just do not take those tags out of Utah.

Thanks again for your clarifications and input. Good luck on the hunts.

Chad

Maybe its just me . . . but it seems like there is more than one convention center in the state. If the RMEF has the Salt Palace, thats even better, how great would it be to be able to go to BOTH in the same town on the same weekend. Its pretty hard to swallow that the only place in the whole state we can have the expo is at the Salt Palace. I live in the Salt Lake Valley, you can have it at my house(thats a joke). Seriously, there is more than one place they could have it. What's stopping them???

CSO

It's all about the good times...

LAST EDITED ON Sep-04-08 AT 06:54PM (MST)[p]John- you say that these tags aren't leaving the state but its obvious that the expo is so can you explain what the deal is with these tags? How are people going to verify their application and how is it possible that having it in reno will benefit utahs economy? I'm not trying to stir the sh$t but would just like some answers

SS,

You are right. I guess tags won't leave for good, but maybe one year? Wow, I would highly advise that not to happen or I can promise the sh!t will hit the fan. Utah hunters will go nutso. Not a good or wise move SFW. That is one pee-on vote.;-)

As others have stated; Utah has a pile of convention centers and arenas.

I have been a heavy participant and donor to various banquets in the past; and I have not been one to jump on the anti-SFW bandwagon because I believe the positives outweigh the negatives.

But if SFW accepts Utah's tags as a steward of the sport, they should realize that shipping them to Reno, even for one year, will guarantee that they will not see a single dollar of mine again.

And I'm not alone...MARK MY WORDS!

SFW has no right to give the residents of Nevada the best access to tags owned by the residents of Utah. It appears SFW is developing an Obama-like elitist attitude.

Grizzly

>LAST EDITED ON Sep-04-08
>AT 04:16?PM (MST)

>
>John,
>
>As I said, I have (had)
>no idea if the tags
>were staying or not.
>I am very pleased to
>hear that they are.
>
>I have no problem with the
>scheduling conflict (although I would
>have guessed that to be
>a little better planned out
>prior to SFW getting our
>tags), the problem I have
>is two fold....
>
>1. SFW has billed these tags
>as the poor man's fair
>and equal chance to get
>their hands on the tags
>that typically are only available
>through auction to big money
>hunters. This couldn't be
>further from the truth and
>you know it. Anyone
>that says otherwise is either
>a liar or a fool,
>and this is what I
>was referring to when I
>was talking about "flat out
>lies".
>
>2. I sat in the Central
>Region RAC meeting when this
>was all proposed and watched
>an entire room full of
>people voice their questions, concerns,
>and opposition to giving these
>tags until they had a
>better outline of the plan.
>Despite the overwhelming opposition from
>the public, and with no
>real answers being provided I
>watched in disbelief as the
>RAC members, including you John,
>went ahead and voted in
>favor of it anyway.
>It was obvious to me
>that the RAC had been
>bought and paid for long
>before the meeting took place
>and it was a verification
>to me of the corrupt
>politics and flawed RAC system.
>I don't care if it
>is the best idea in
>the world, when an entire
>room opposes a proposal, it
>should be looked at more
>closely before being approved.
>I would guess similar things
>occured in the other RAC
>meetings.

The RAC has been bought! CHeck your waterfowl proc. and you can see the different goose season for the areas around the big clubs up north. I was at that rac and the only people wanting the "rest" later were the clubs and guess who got what they wanted.

SFW' negs are getting close to passing its possitives! That many tags is a crime! I find it amazing that the STATE considers poaching a crime, but selling animals to the highest bidder, or even as an ecomomy booster(only to Salt Lake City or Sandy) is "good for wildlife". Seems the only time the DWR remembers residents is when they need a raise!

I second ya grizzly. I will cut my donations and membership as well.

I hear a lot of non-res. complain that they have to travel to the convention.........if you don't like to travel, get your state to donate 200 tags and have your own party.

I just want to be friends.

MY HELL FELLERS...it never ceases to amaze me how quick people put words in your mouth and then tell you what you said. The tags aint leavin utah. THE TAGS AINT LEAVIN UTAH. NOT FOR TEN YEARS, NOT FOR ONE YEAR, NOT FOR ONE MINUTE. and if any rac has ever been bought and paid for then i sure never got my check. I'm pissed.

John,

You can be as pissed as you want.

If the tags aren't leaving, and the RAC wasn't bought (maybe it wasn't with money, but that's not the point) then maybe you can explain to us what exactly is going to happen with the tags now that the expo will be held in Reno, and also how it is that the Central Region RAC, of which you were a part, could sit and listen to an ENTIRE ROOM full of hunters OPPOSED to these tags and still vote in favor of it? Is it not the responsibility of RAC members to consider the opinion of the general public?? Unless I am mistaken it is, and in my opinion that RAC failed miserably (which isn't news, it happens all the time on other issues as well).

Look man, I have no problem with you personally. I consider you a friend and I hope that doesn't change over this bunk. I'll shake your hand next time I see you, and chat about hunting, but you can't tell me that what I'm saying about what went on in that RAC meeting isn't true. As far as what happens with the tags, I'm just looking for clarification about what is truly happening with those tags.

Thanks,

Preston

I did not think they were going any where, but it sounded like they may for one year. That is good no tags are leaving. Don't be pissed, this is MM.;-)

the tags will be given away just like they have been the last couple of years. show up, validate your paper, and wait a week to see if u draw. the details will be worked out as to where, and all the info will be posted. its still 18 months away.

Preston, you need to call Roy. Ask him about the deer committee.

Sorry John,

It sounded to me like you said they were leaving for 1 year. I apologize for restating that, And thank you for clarifying. I am glad to hear they are not leaving Utah! Have a great day!

Guess you were right Ty?? Good call!

Chad

ss,

It is good to hear the deal for certain. I do not blame 10r for getting mad though, down payments on houses is not going to happen, and for someone to imply that is just not right in my eyes. Questioning the tags and expo is one thing when the expo is in Reno, houses getting paid for by us is another. I get pretty tired of the conspiracy crap as well.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-05-08 AT 03:50PM (MST)[p]yeah... you fellers missed the joke... i ment i was pissed about not gettin my check when the rac was bought and paid for. Its all good. If someone thinks one of us could pull that off buyin a house, i would take that as a compliment. even if its all bs. oh well. good luck to everyone this year. John bair

If the tags stay in utah that is great and i appreciate you clarifying that john but it is still a bunch of BS. Part of the argument to get these tags was that it would bring money into utahs economy. I don't know if you have looked at a map lately but Reno isn't in utah. In 07 utah sold 358 tags at auction plus the 200 expo tags. Its getting excessive to say the least and if these 200 extra tags aren't going to help utahs economy then they should be put back in the draw, even if its just for one year. If SFW can't handle a simple scheduling issue then there is no way they should be in charge of that many of our premium tags not to mention the hundreds of thousands of dollars that comes from them.

Hey John.

So what the hell man, are they stayin or goin?

LMAO.
sorry man i could not resist.
I love to see these things blow up like a fire cracker in a chickens arse. Very entertaining.

i love to see everyone CRY about this and that and who lied and this is an outcry, but then see them 1st in line getting their draws validated.

give me a buzz when you get some free time, i have a TON of pics and a lotta BS to shoot!

later

live life one mule deer at a time.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom