what caliber will you be using opening day??

• Thread starter mywifeishotterthentiffany
  • Start date
M

mywifeishotterthentiffany

In the old days I was always told the 30-06 was the most popular caliber. I was wondering if it still is with all the WSM and the newer and flatter shooting cartridges what is the caliber you will use the most for hunting big game with this year.

"Let's keep things in perspective.I mean for Peet's sake there are kids in Africa that don't even hunt....hello" Jimmy Big Time

I will be shooing a Sako 270wsm 130 Barnes tts

"Let's keep things in perspective.I mean for Peet's sake there are kids in Africa that don't even hunt....hello" Jimmy Big Time

300 win mag! Ruger M77 Mark 2 laminate stock stainless barrel with a brand spankin new Vortex Viper 3.5-10x50!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Oct-03-10 AT 02:06PM (MST)[p]I shoot the same rifle as I have since I was 12.
Pre 64 Winchester Model 70 in .270 cal.

I have a tricked out .300 RUM Remington model 700 but I have never shot an animal nor hunted with it and I have had it for 11 years. It was one of those things I had to have when the caliber was fairly new and it shoots great but I always use my .270 when I hunt. Maybe if I go on a elk hunt I will try the .300 rum

Already got an elk with my .50 ML, no deer tag filled...

So I will throw this one out there.

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

.30-30 - - - - for mountain lions over hounds

Does anyone even use these any more, lol

Later,

Marcial

The only rifle tag I have this year is an elk tag, so I'll be toting the .338 Win Mag.

My wife is hotter than Tiffany's mother!

Love the .308 short action platform. .243 win, .308 win, .338 fed. Killed more deer with the .243 than the rest. Will be letting the air out of a moose next week with the .338.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

300WSM with handloaded Barnes 150 TTSX.

Shot a Mtn Goat and a Deer with it in Utah last year. I built it for the Goat hunt. Rem 700 action, Kevlar stock, stainless with fluted barrel and bolt. 3-10 Swarovski TDS scope with Talley mounts.

I've shot it at the Price range out to 600 yards. Sweet!

Or maybe a........

Zeke

No clear winner yet!!! Keep them coming!!

Going after Blacktails this weekend,
so I'm using my Rem. 700 cdl 25/06 with 110 gr. accubonds

.25-06 with 115 grain nosler partitions. Sweet deer load, and will kill elk too. Its all about good shot placement. .270 with 130 grain hornady sst is a very good set up as well.

.300 Win. Mag. but the last deer I killed two years ago was with my .30-30 Marlin open sights at 45 yards.

Eel

I will also admit it, 165 gr. hand loaded bullets out of a ruger mark II 30-06. Deadly for deer and elk, never have needed anything else.

.338 R.U.M. out west with hand loaded 210 grain scirocco's and my 25-06 with hand loaded 100 grain scirrocco's for these Minnesota whitetail.

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free... it expects what never has and never will be." -Thomas Jefferson

Going elk hunting Colorado next week, 300 win. mag, 200 gr. nos. partion at about 2950 psi. For deer here at home this year, I will shoot my old reliable Winchester mod. 70, 270 with 140 gr, Winchester silvertips at about the same velocity as above.

Rem 700 in 300 RUM with 165 grain accubonds for elk. Rem 700 in 25-06 with 110 grain accubonds for deer.

300 win mag 180 tsx or 257 wby mag 100 tsx hand load, just depending on where i am and what i am looking for.

Shot my deer here in Calif with my Ruger MKII 30-06. Every year that I take that rifle I get a deer.

Leaving at the end of Oct for CO for elk and will be packing my 338 Win.

270 WSM out west and up in northern MN and WI too!...That gun Layeth the smacketh downeth...this yr will be first yr for hand loads though using the 150gr Hornady SST's, so should be intersting!

Stack em like cord wood!!!

.270 WIN for Utah spike elk/deer, Idaho deer. shooting a factory load Hornady 140 gr. btsp. the gun is a weatherby vanguard topped with a Leupold vx-3 3-9x40.

"Shoot Straight"

Grew up with an '06......Hornady Light Mag, 165 gr.

Over the last 10 years I have switched to the .243. Same Hornady Light Mag in that also.

Colorado deer in 3 weeks, or so.

300 RUM

Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed to where the trail meets the sky...

Got Antelope tags and a Deer tag in WY so will be taking my H&H .577 Nitro Express should be enough to knock them over in their tracks. I like hamburger meat so that is about all I will have left.

Just kidding of course....taking my Savage in 25.06 Rem shooting 117gr Sierra Game King rounds.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

300 RUM without question. All the rest of my guns sit in the safe and collect dust. Shot an elk at 573 yards and it was spot on. Long range scope, great gun, great load and it all came together. Hopefully an antelope and muley later on in the year.

270WSM shooting Hornady 150SST's. Its been some good medicine on everything I've shot at for a couple of years now.

respect my authorita

Rem M700 .280 Rem, 140 gr accubonds.

Life is like riding bulls. You're never truly ready ..... it just gets to be your turn.

>what is the caliber you will use the most for hunting big
>game with this year.

6.5mm /.264 CALIBER for deer and antelope.
.308 caliber for Elk

30-378 for deer in open country 30-06 for elk in the timber. seems backward i know

I have been packing a Hoyt Ultramag around the last few years. I guess that does not count here so,,,,,
My son has a Gen Deer tag so he will be packing a 270.
He also has a cow elk tag,,,
The last rifle hunt I went on was elk and I killed mine with a Ruger M77 300 win mag..

Pronghorn---.270 WIN with 150 gr. Hornady....Tagged Out
Mule Deer---.270 WIN with 150 gr. Hornady....Tagged Out
ELK .50 Cal Hawken till I miss then .338 WIN Mag
My Ruger .270 just turned 30 this year & still love the shotgun safety and self adjusting trigger pull.

No rifle tags for me this year, but I would be carrying my 7mm Rem Mag if I did. That's all I ever use any more.

Me
Mule deer = 300 WSM
Elk = .50 Muzzy

Wife
Mule deer = 243

Boy

Havent decided yet but more then likley 270 Win.

400bull

Trying to wean myself off of the 300rum this year and have used the 6.5x284 on a few critters so far. Having personally used all sorts of calibers myself and watched all sorts of calibers being used there's just something about the 300rum that can't be denied. Will the others work? You bet, but I haven't found anything that works better. Think I'm goin back to the 300rum.

Going to try the 338 rum out on an elk and the 6.5x284 on one more deer, then I'm goin back to throwing 180 accubonds and a Berger or two out of the 300.

My sons will be shooting a 7MM Rem mag and a 300 RUM, and I have fell in love with my new Remington 700 in a .257 Weatherby Mag...
My daughter used it to kill her bull this year and my other daughter used it on her antelope.
Shoots like a dream...so it's time I get to kill something with it...
My Henry Mgmt hunt should be a blast with it..

300 rum for me and my tried and true 264 win mag for the gf on our elk hunt tomorrow...

Winchester model 88 in .308win for dedicated deer this year, spent the muzzy hunt chasing big bulls. I have never killed a big game animal with anything but a smokepole, should be fun. Shooting hornady custom with 150gr sst.

-----------------------------------------------
http://andymansavage.blogspot.com/

30-378 for those long shots,
7mm Bar for in the trees.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

getting ready for elk next weekend,
will be using the 300 wby for clearcuts, etc. 180 accubonds.
also the .348 win levergun with 250 barnes for the black timber.

You'd have a hard time prying my 6.5X284 out of my hands. I've killed antelope, elk, deer, and coyote with it this year. When I started thinking about building a custom rifle I wanted something that would take up to elk size game at extreme ranges with light enough recoil that I wouldn't need a muzzle break. I landed on the 6.5X284 and it hasn't disappointed me.

I'm a little old fashion, but I also love the tried and true 300 WM shooting 180 accubonds.

My .270 win Ruger MkII stainless with the boat-paddle black stock. It went on all the hunts this year for my wife, son, and myself. Total tally of animals for 2010:
antelope - 2
deer - 2
elk - 1

Loaded with 130 gr Noslers (BT, Partition, and Accubonds), this rifle has accounted for 14 head of game the past 3 years.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-27-10 AT 07:25PM (MST)[p]I have a new love in my life.
My buddy gave me a Weatherby Vanguard in .257 wby mag that he won at a NRA dinner.
I bought a used Leupold 4.5-14x40 B&C from the MM classifieds, I installed a 2 lb Timney trigger, slapped a Harris bi-pod on her & went hunting.
Though not real fancy this this is one wicked buck slayer.
Shoots like a lazer with real mild recoil.
120gr partitions group very tightly.
Killed it's first buck @ 336 yds & a second @500, dead as a doornail.
This caliber is gonna see a lot of action in the years to come.
HH

Me - deer & elk 300 win mag
Me - Whitetail 257 Ackley
12 yr old son 270 Wby mag w/Brake

My elk this year- 25-06 (nice gun but I like my 300 win mag a little better for elk).
My son- 7mm WSM. He started with the 25-06
but ended up liking this caliber better.
I will shoot my 300 on most hunts, it's rarely
let me down. However, I think that my 25-06 would be a great deer/antelope gun.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom