What gun safe would you recommend?

I own a champion safe and I have been very pleased with it. I have had it for about 8 years and at the time they were somewhat new but very reasonably priced. I am not sure about pricing now. I know that they are very well thought out and very well built. Fire rating is excellent also.

IMO if you want the best bang for your buck, look at Heritage Safe Co. The safes are made in Grace, Idaho and they have a great product. Lots of sizes and styles to choose from. I did some serious safe shopping for a couple months and ended up buying a Heritage, haven't regretted it at all.

Meanttobbuck;
I would do a search of the various safe Co. Pick out the size of safe you want first and amount of rifles it will hold and if you do or do not need shelfs for other items. If you have handguns, look for one that allows you to hang your pistols on the inside door. Now the most important part. Most good brands of gun safes will give you very reasonable protection from theft, if you remember to keep it locked. You have a greater chance of losing your guns to a house fire. So it is important to check the fire rating of the safe. most will give it as rated at a certain temperture for so many minutes at that temperture. A lot of the cheaper safes will give a approx. rating of 1300 degrees for about 30-45 minutes. You need one better then that as most house fires will get up to around 1700-2000 degrees for 20 minutes.
If the interior of your safe reaches 500 degrees or more, you have lost your guns due to the temper being altered and any wood stocks charred.
Mine has a rating of 1700 degrees for 45 minutes and will hold 24 long guns and 14 handguns and has a shelf to hold optics and other items. It ran me 1600 bucks about 5 years ago.
Also look for a Sargent-Greenleaf locking system, a very good brand. Figure out your budget, and buy the best that fits your requirements within that budget with a priorty of best fire rating you can get in your search.
RELH

A full one LOL

Most are Fire rated so try and get the bigest one you can afford, I know they fill up fast.

I own a Fort Knox and I love it and would highly reccomend it to anyone. I live out in the flickets and they delivered it to my house for free, not to mention the custome service was great. The safe holds somewhere areound 30 guns and I think I paid like $800 give or take but I really can't remember. But I do know this it was cheaper then a Liberty and I would of had to go get the Liberty and haul it home which was over an hour from my house. But all that aside my opinon the Fort Knox is a better safe and a better company and it doesen't hurt that they delieverd it to my house.

Good luck,

Slide

I have A Fort Knox, And I love it. Best ones made around. I work closely with a couple of the safe companies around here, and I can tell you they are the best.

Bought a Browning Safe about 10 years ago, no complaints at all with it just wish I had gotten a bigger unit though now.

Brian

My son and I both have HERITAGE safes, and have been quite happy with them. They have Class III ITR ratings, and will cover us for what we are really scared of - theft! I believe there are a couple dealers in the Phoenix area.

I took the extra money an even better safe would have cost, and used it for full coverage replacement cost insurance for everything I have scheduled (guns and jewelry).

So what one did you end up getting and how happy are you with it.. im in the market for one my self

Hall safes from Oreville Calif., they make very nice safes. I have Fort Knox and the Hall is much nicer, although you can get all of these safes with many custom features. I would get one with the digital lock. You can get the interior just about any way you want them on all of them. Get a bigger one than you think you will need as you will fill them up.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-19-08 AT 08:39PM (MST)[p]I bought a Champion, 40 cubic ft. I bought the next one down from the top of the line. I have not had it delivered yet so I will let you know what I think when I get the guns in. Thanks again.

Since you've already received some good suggestions on the make...I won't bother.

But with regards to the size...buy one at least twice as large as your current gun collection. Because you "will" grow into it.

Grizly Hunter

mort75,
The safe has been delivered and I am very happy with it.
GrizlyHunter,
It is twice as big as my current gun supply so maybe the collection will grow in the future. But not for now, I need to pay for the safe.
Thanks for all of your advice.

MEANTTOBBUCK,

Congrats on your new purchase.

Now...what's your home address and your combination? ;-)

Grizzly Hunter

There have been a bunch of robberies in my neighborhood lately. One thing I've learned: Stay away from the Liberty/Browning safe with the electronic keypad.

The thiefs found, probably by accident, that if one of these units is tipped over on it's left side, hard, the door will pop open. A friend of mine had a bunch of money stolen this way. Liberty didn't acknowledge the problem (safe says browning on it, but its made by liberty) until someone else with the same safe tried it at their house. It worked.

So, take that as a warning.

This may be a dumb question but I thought the better safes were designed to be bolted to wall studs or the floor so the thieves can't haul it off in the night? I don't own a safe yet but have been looking hard at them. Had my truck broken into about a month ago sitting in my driveway. Lost my Garmin GPS, a couple of knives, and $60 sun glasses.

The answer is yes.
Mine is attached to both. Put studs in the floor when we poured it. The safe is not going over.

Take a kid hunting. You will enjoy it more than they will!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom