What rifle

B

bfreedogger

I am new to hunting and would like to get some advise.

My wife was nice enough to get me a swarovski scope for my birthday, I think it would be a shame to mount it to my current beat up 30.06.

I want a Mule deer specific rifle, I hunt in mostly central Nevada open country.

What caliber?
What Gun?

I want to pair my "really nice" scope with a "really nice" rifle, specific for Mule deer hunting.

Thanks

Or you can get a Tikka T3 Lite in 270WSM and have enough cash left over to buy a new pair of Swarovski Bino's to match your scope :)

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

I checked out the Tikka T3 Lite 270wsm, I am very impressed with the reviews. Does Sako make a comparable version of this rifle? If so, what are the differences?

Thanks for the insight fellas.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-06-11 AT 08:05PM (MST)[p]The Sako A7 is very similar to the Tikka. I think either one is a great value and both are exellent quality. The Sako bolt has 3 lugs vs 2 on the Tikka and the ejection port is a little bigger. The magazine on the Sako A7 is harder to remove (its supposed to be a feature to keep you from accidently popping it out and losing it). The magazine also has metal clips to hold the bullets in place rather than plastic on the Tikka. I have both the Sako models and Tikka models and I've listed the differences in priority order as far as I am concerned. The bolt and ejection port are a little nicer on the Sako, but they are perfectly adequate on the Tikka, so I don't know that it's worth the price difference (which I think was about $200 last time I bought one). I've had old Sakos and new Sakos & I've been very happy with all of them, and Tikka is in the same class.

Here is a link to a very good review of the Sako vs Tikka:
http://www.biggamehunt.net/reviews/sako-a7-review

I'd get an 85 before I got an A7. Just preference. I might get a 75 before an 85. Oh wait, I did.

The 264 win mag, 270 WBY and 7mm Rem mag are the classic open country deer rounds. as for guns that depends on your preferences, my first choice would be a pre-64 Westerner , German Mk V, a pre-Garcia Sako or a semi custom if weight were a factor and it is to me.

put another hash mark in the .270 WSM column.

rifle manufacturer is a personal handling preference, so handle all you can. But at least look at a Sako A7

270WSM or 7mmWSM, can't go wrong w/ either. Since u are new to hunting, 270WSM would edge out for ammo availability.

You can't go wrong with a Savage for accuracy right out of the box....caliber make your choice.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom