What's the best factory rifle out of the box?

ELKLOVER

I buddy of mine has $1000-$1500 to spend on a new rifle. He asked me what rifle he should buy. I don't really know. I told him maybe a Kimber. He is set on a 7mm. What do you guys think.

Also, anyone who has shot a new Savage, he is interested in that too.

I have a few customs and never use them. The two guns i use the most are Rem Mod 7 in 7mm-08 For backpacking And a Rem Xts in 7MM ultramag

LAST EDITED ON Oct-14-07 AT 07:37PM (MST)[p]Does that cover the scope also? If he has that kind of money to spend why buy a Savage? If I had $1500 it would be a SS ABolt with a Leupold without question. I have a new 16FCSS in 300WSM. Shoots right around 1"+ for 5 at 3350fps with a 165. If I down load it it will easily go under 1" for 5.

>LAST EDITED ON Oct-14-07
>AT 07:37 PM (MST)

>
>Does that cover the scope also?
> If he has that
>kind of money to spend
>why buy a Savage?
>If I had $1500 it
>would be a SS ABolt
>with a Leupold without question.
> I have a new
>16FCSS in 300WSM. Shoots
>right around 1"+ for 5
>at 3350fps with a 165.
> If I down load
>it it will easily go
>under 1" for 5.

He has a scope. I don't follow guns that much. What is a SS ABolt and a 16FCSS? Thanks.

If I wanted a good looking piece of wood on my rifle I would go Kimber. If I wanted a durable syn stock and black barrel that won't shine like a torch in the sun, I would buy a Weatherby super lightweight in 7mm Rem mag or 7mm WBY mag. I have one in .257 WBY and love it to death.

There is no such thing as the BEST factory rifle. All manufacturers make good ones, and bad ones. Tell your friend to go out and handle all rifle makes he is considering. Pick them up, point them, cycle the bolt. Tell him to buy the one that FEELS the most comfortable. A rifle that is at home in your hands is the best one. mtmuley

Kimbers are hard to beat, out of the 5 or so I've been around they're hands down better built and better shooters than other factory rifles made anymore.

If Cooper starts making the new 52 in magnum calibers that will no doubt be a fantasic rifle.

If you have $1500 to spend, why waste it all on the best factory rifle. I would rather spend $500 less on a rifle and take it to a gunsmith superfreak that can make ALMOST any factory rifle into a tackdriver.

I'd just get a midlevel Remington and take it to Performance Guns for six months.

I'm sure a ton of people on this sight do just that.

Have yer buddy go buy a Remington SPS, or a Weatherby Vanguard, or a Ruger MKII- all under $500, all will do anything the "average" hunter/shooter will want it to do.
'An have him send me the extra $1000.

;-)

>Have yer buddy go buy a
>Remington SPS, or a Weatherby
>Vanguard, or a Ruger MKII-
>all under $500, all will
>do anything the "average" hunter/shooter
>will want it to do.
>
>'An have him send me the
>extra $1000.
>
>;-)

I think Elkabong is dead on.

An SPS is hard to beat -- especially for aroung $450.

AND, if you have it accurized by a gunsmith, it will outperform any factor gun out of the box, regardless of how much you spend.

The extra $300 - $400 spent with a gunsmith that knows his stuff is a much bigger bang for your buck than the same amount of money used for a higher end factory gun.

I agree 100%, SAKO makes awesome, accurate rifles, right outta the box!!

"Good mass & long browtines"

I never used to be a Savage fanm but decided to buy one with the accutrigger and have bought 2 more since I have bought 3 savages over the last 2 years (308, 22-250, 300 win)the 22-250 and 308 are putting 3 shot groups inside a dime and the 300 win is putting them inside the size of a quarter, I think they are a great deal for the $.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom