What's Unit #21 like?

G

GrizlyHunter

Looking to gain info from people who have hunted this unit. We're considering applying for the 2nd season for Deer.

Trying to get a handle on the following:

A) # of hunters.
B) Weather.
C) Deer herd.
D) Roads available.
E) ATV's in the area.
F) Anything else that you think might be helpful.

Thanx for your input!

GH

I'll try to help with some of your questions..

>Looking to gain info from people
>who have hunted this unit.
> We're considering applying for
>the 2nd season for Deer.
>
>
>Trying to get a handle on
>the following:
>
>A) # of hunters.

A healthy dose of hunters after both Elk and deer , but plenty of territory to scatter them out..

>B) Weather.

Good question... Can be hot and dry with bright sun each day and that makes the hunting early and late only.. If a cold front comes through with clouds , deer will moved longer and better. Hope for snow , but slim chances...

>C) Deer herd.

Loads a deer , but thick cover most places. Lots of both bucks and does. Patients is key.

>D) Roads available.

Gas well roads EVERYWHERE.. You can drive most places , but there are a few remote spots

>E) ATV's in the area.

ATV's are helpfull , but a pickup truck will get around in this unit just about as good. Some roads are rough and can get muddy if it rains.

>F) Anything else that you
>think might be helpful.

Its a good place to find lots of bucks , if you have the points to draw it.

>Thanx for your input!
>
>GH

>Ton's of info on this unit
>in past post!

I've done the search on this unit already. I was looking for a little more detailed answers to my questions.

Thanx for your response.

GH

i hunted this unit in 2007 and last year i hunted it for two weeks. can tell you all you need to know. dale 303-588-5638

Dale,

I was out of town for the weekend. I'll call you later today.

Thanx!

GH

Longshot nailed it with all of his responses. However i did think there were a huge number of hunters crawling throughout the unit due to the fact that the elk hunting is OTC. The deer hunters are spread throughout pretty good but the elk hunters are crawling all over the unit on ATV's on all the gas roads.

I hunted the unit in 2005 and there weren't really that many elk hunters as the majority of the unit doesn't seem to be a good elk area. The only place we saw that might hold elk was in the extreme southern end of the unit. We saw LOTS of deer everywhere else though, especially off Dragon Rd. I think I may still have a few GPS coords of some nice spots I could send you if you would like them.

TennVol,

If you could PM them to me that would be great. Thank you for the offer.

If you, or anybody else, has pics of some Unit #21 bucks I'd love to see 'em!

Thanx!

GH

Here is the buck I took in 2005:

DSCF1591.jpg

DSCF1592.jpg

Here are some photos I took at the processor in town on the 4th day of the season:

DSCF1615.jpg

DSCF1614.jpg

DSCF1616.jpg

DSCF1618.jpg

DSCF1617.jpg

TennVol,

I posted a response last night and I'm not sure what happened to it. So I'll post again.

Very nice buck! I would be very happy with a buck like that. I like the dark brown antler color, and he looks like he's got a huge body too. Any idea how old? What season did you take him. Anybody else hunt with you? If so, how did they do?

Thanx for posting the pix!

GH

Griz - thanks for the compliment. He was a decent sized buck and I was very happy to harvest him - his net score was 174 1/2. I have no idea how old he was, but he is on my wall now! We hunted 2nd season and the guy who hunts with me also took a nice buck. As other threads have pointed out, the weather in 21 is the key. We were very lucky that we had relatively dry roads and easy access to most of the areas we wanted to hunt. I have friends who have hunted 21 in other years and it was a mud nightmare. They had to chain up all four wheels just to get a few hundred yards off the main roads. If you have good weather (and decent road conditions), you will see lots of shooter bucks. If the roads are in poor shape, it will be a much tougher hunt.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom