Whats your favorite camp food?

quest

Very Active Member
Just thinking about buying food for our trip out of state. I like Bearclaws in the morning for breakfast. My brother hes like a chef when it come to cooking food at camp. I allways look forward when we get the chance to hunting together. So what is your favorite meal?

breakfast burritos for dinner is my favorite by far, eggs, bacon, sausage, cheese, jalapenos, peppers, and tortillas. Easy and delicious.

Its lonely at the top.... just the way I like it.

I like burritoes with eggs and ham or sausage for breakfast. Just a snack for the hunt. And Italian sausage's with potatoes for dinner, also I forgot about the refreshments, ICE COLD BEER!!! Thanks, Doug.

Mt. Dew and a papa murphy's hawaiian pizza when we get back to the cabin after hikin all day.

Man I am glad I don't have to sleep in a tent with you guys. Yikes...

I like fresh tenderloins and there in no wrong way to fix em...

Last night I made the chili verde, vacumm packed it. tonight i'm doing the same with the refried beans with chorizo. Wed night i'll do the spanish rice.Love my foodsaver. Just drop the bags in a pot of lightly boiling water. Same pot of water,multiple nights dinner. Might be dangerous in the tent on our NM elk hunt.

sidepass

By far cornish game hens in a dutch oven served with wild rice pilaf. Dessert Chocolate Cake, Dutch oven of course.

I usually make this on my birthday Oct 13th in hunting camp. Best present I get is hunting every year on my birthday!!!

I try to keep it simple. I pretty much have been the traditional cook for 3 generations.

I'm also spoiled. When I was young, we got by on Beanie Weenie, grape kool-aid and Twinkies. Never again. I enjoy good food even in hunting camp.

Chicken thighs, a LOT of them. I fry them for dinner, strip them out for breakfast with my "world famous, dutch oven bisquits" and gravy and make burritos for snacks and lunch.

I can make about six different chicken dinners.....with rice, noodles,etc.... but the breakfasts and lunch pretty much stay the same.

We still take some steaks, bratz and always one dutch oven elk roast with all the veggies.

I obviously, seldom hunt the evening. By the time we have had dinner, I'm ready to hit the sack. Up an hour earlier to do breakfast.

The up side is, I don't do dishes, firewood or chase water. There are NEVER practical jokes played at my expense and several years in a row, I haven't even had to help skinning my own deer.

The guys I hunt with wouldn't dare mess with the evil old cook they have. They know my best dish is, "Revenge....served ice cold"

For me it's got to be quick fixing. A lot of my nightly meals are based on a package of chicken rice-a-roni or a couple packs of top Ramin. Throw some vegi's in there and whatever meat you might need to cook up...presto! Meal in minutes and pretty tasty.

For a snack, i like to carve hunks off a tube of hard dry salamie. Along with cheese and crackers or with best foods in a sandwich, good stuff. Colonel Sanders works too, i like the dark meat pieces.

Before the night is over. i'll be scratching around for something sweet, most anything with chocolate will do.

Joey

>Haggis fried with onions.

4a9ce9606ed833fa.jpg

You're a sick man Ransom.

498a6f395e505405.jpg

what ever meat you might need?
hunks of hard dry salami....?
something sweet and moist?
oh talk to me joey!!

I cook gourmet!
DUTCH OVEN MEALS!
my hunting favorite is Antelope and Andouille Sausage
Hash with a grilled jalapeno or 4 on the side!
and about six almost frozen brew-ski's eating it all up next to the campfire (fallowed up with my favorite stogie)....peach cobbler if there's any room left or that may be breakfast to go with the 1st pot of fresh full body coffee!

4a2c3c3419e430ad.jpg

rackmaster

WTF Rack? You must need a woman bad dude! lol

So you cook Gourmet? That must be when you remember to pack all your gear, eh? :)

You go ahead and eat the Frenchy Faggy stuff, i'll stick with rice, pasta, chicken, fish, and Chocolate!

I'm going dove hunting over to the Shinn Ranch. Like right now, See ya!

Oh, and i got the salami!! :)

Joey

Is a hobo dinner a hamburger patty in foil with sliced potatoes and onions on the fire? Damn you cant beat that after a big day on the hill. Fast, clean and easy. Copenhagen, granola bars, jerky and water are a staple though. After the kill, beer and a snort of whiskey.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-01-09 AT 12:53PM (MST)[p]For about a decade, I held a javelina hunt in AZ for some friends from all over the country. There were usually about 7-8 hunters, plus a couple others that helped me out with the guiding chores. Because it was cheaper for the NRs, we would hunt either the San Carlos or White Mountain Res.

Below is a typical menu for the outing. The photos below it are the kitchen tent where I did all the cooking. The table, which will seat at least 16, comes apart in three sections and has removable legs.

WEDS.

Prime rib, baked potato, veggies, wine, lemon cake (at my house)

Thurs.

Breakfast - on the road
Lunch - Chili and sandwiches
Dinner - Turkey breast/gravy, mashed sweet potatoes baked with marshmallows, reg. mashed potatoes, corn, craneberry sauce, bisquits, choice of chocolate cake & apple or cherry pie.

Fri.

Breakfast - Scrambled eggs with green chiles/cheese, steak, hash browns, BB muffins
Lunch - Beef Barley Soup/sandwiches
Dinner - Salad, lasagna, eggplant parmigiana, Ital. bread, choice of chocolate cake & apple or cherry pie.

Sat.

Breakfast - Pancakes & Canadian bacon
Lunch - Chicken w/rice soup, hotdogs
Dinner - Stuffed potato skins, roast beef/gravy, wide egg noodles, string beans, asparagus, bisquits, chocolate pudding.

Sun.

Breakfast - Scrambled eggs w/ham & cheese, sliced ham, home fries, BB muffins
Lunch - Ham & Bean soup, sandwiches
Dinner - Pork chops cooked with apple slices, scalloped potatoes, apple sauce, Tony's BBQ beans, bisquits, choice of chocolate cake & apple or cherry pie.

Mon.

Breakfast - French toast, sliced sausage
Lunch - Turkey noodle soup, sandwiches
Dinner - Salad, NY steaks & grilled shrimp, fried fresh mushrooms, Fried potatoes, corn on the cob, string beans, choice of chocolate cake & apple or cherry pie.

Tues.

Breakfast - Omelets with green chile/pork filling (optional), hashbrowns, reg. bacon, bisquits & sausage gravy
Lunch - sandwiches and leftovers!!
Dinner - Not completely decided yet, but likely a Mexican Fiesta. (my house)

All evening dinners will include the usual array of appetizers, such as smoked salmon, fried venison, chips/salsa, black/green olives, cheese/crackers, celery, carrots, summer sausage, etc. Sat. night's potato skins will be filled with cheeses, tomatoes, bacon bits and chives.

We have orange, grapefruit, apple and V8 juice for breakfasts. Other drinks include, high octane Pepsi & Coke, plus an assortment of caffein-free Pepsi, Fresca, beer, red wine and the usual Country Time lemonade.

And the homemade chocolate chip cookies are all baked and packed!

4a9d69d10ed42d68.jpg

4a9d66d8771bc095.jpg

4a9d67067884306d.jpg

4a9d672079104a71.jpg

4a9d674379f81535.jpg

4a9d67677ad88675.jpg

4a9d67897b99b037.jpg

4a9d67c27cf11d14.jpg

4a9d67ee7e9d8675.jpg

4a9d683703788d5f.jpg

A helper grilling some marinated Gambel's quail for appetizers.

4a9d688c05966932.jpg

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

Cool setup Tony.....I will be over for dinner on Thursday :9

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

imagine the same setup as outdoorwriter's only 25 miles packed in on horses.... that is what it was like in the thorofare working for hidden creek outfitters. 12 tents in camp plus a 40 ft. mess tent. took 3 weeks just to setup camp. the fun part was tearing it all down after the last hunters in november. you can have it! guiding is for fools!

Dutch Oven Potatoes, Boneless Hot Wings Fresh sliced Tomatoes and Cukes, Dutch Oven Peach and Raspberry Cobbler w/Vanilla Ice Cream

Pork Loins!
Whole in the bag! Hopefully, you can take more than one. Breakfast, cutt 'em 3/8" thick and fry them in bacon greese (just a little) w/ onion salt, pepper and garlic and when they'er close to done(don't over cook them, a little pink wont kill ya) throw in your eggs and cook 'em till you like 'em. I like mine, like I like my women, "flat on their back with their eye's open". Cook a few extra each and with a slice of bread or two and a couple hard boiled eggs and you have Lunch in the back pack.

For dinner. Foil wrapped Idaho tatters (the big bakers) in the camp fire coals (not the main fire, pull some aside) maybe with a chopped onion and a couple Anahiem or Jalapenjo's on the side. Cut the loins double thick and butterfly 'em open with a scope of instant bread stuffing. Tooth pick 'em closed and fry 'em -yip, you guessed it-in bacon greese.
It's loaded with protein that'll get ya thru the day. I have a killer mutton receipe from an old sheepherder from Mapleton for day two.

At this point all the dishes we have to do is a 14/16" round cast iron skillet, spatula, a fork and the knife on your belt to clean if-you use plastic and paper utincils.

If things start to dry out on ya, a well stocked kitchen (Grub Box) with cooking cherry (beer) will get ya moistened back up.
Oh, and take a handful of fresh plums (prunes if ya have too) with ya for a treat, probably around mid-afternoon.

This "diet" will get ya where ya need to go!
Yak.

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on.
Thomas Jefferson

Ziplock bag of fried fish to munch on during the drive to the unit. First night in camp, chicken fajitas cooked on the "wok" with pineapple/cherry crunch baked in the dutch oven for dessert.
After the hunting starts it's chili or brisket and beans or anything pre-cooked that all we have to do is heat and eat when we ride in to camp after dark and are dog tired.

Phantom Hunter

My favorite camp meal is fresh elk loin chops fried in a little olive oil, along with sliced mushrooms. MMM!

Take an onion and throw it in the fire on the coals.. It takes 30-40 minutes depending on how hot of a fire you have going for the onion to carmelize and bringout all the sugars and get rid of the bitterness..

When you pull it out it will look all black and burned, take off the outer skin and throw it out. Your left with a very nice clean cooked onion. I take a knife and make a few cuts and make a bunch of larger pieces out of it. Then rub barbque sauce on the pieces and eat em up..

Makes for an easy to fix addition to any dinner

T

This is one of my favorite "camp" meals.....I can almost smell it!
4a9f03046dff850a.jpg

------------------------------------------------------
"Yeah, I'll shoot him"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom