When ???

jodog

Very Active Member
What day will we find out if we're hunting elk in Wyoming ?? I went to sleep last night thinking of elk hunting and woke up this morning thinking about it.

The F&G website says the 29th, but many times they are earlier putting it up than what they show. Looks like you have almost 3 weeks more to dream about that tag, LOL!

And this is the point that I always get ticked off. Not that out-of-staters draw a tag, but they find out long before in-staters even get to put in. There's just something wrong about that.

Hey bucklover it's a way for them to easeeeeeee the pain of that $600 hit we all just took.

bucklover---Just a couple comments and they are not being made to be nasty or anything. It's not the fault of the NRs that the F&G set it up that way, so maybe you should complain to them if you have a problem with the way they run the draws. Also, maybe since we're paying most of the freight to run the department the F&G figures we should get a little bit of something for all the money we spend to keep them afloat.

Genius is right...first of the western states for the non resident draw means we all get results for wyo and decide whether or not to apply elsewhere. Pretty much in the driver's seat. Not only that, but as an NR if we strike out on elk, we can react accordingly and decide to apply in March(which is still early in the app game) to give more money for deer etc. I think they have it dialed...well I got suckered into a special app for 2012 anyway...

+1 I agree...and I apreciate knowing earlier to plan other hunts...plus I dont have to wait 3 months for results.

I always thought Wy was smart to be one of the first draws, by the time April and May roll around it seems like people get draw poor.

Not only draw poor, but draw fatigue! By the time I get to say AZ sheep/deer I could care less because I generally have a full season lined up. I can't believe other states have not tried to jump on front of them.

Here is how February plays out most every year for the last 4-5 years.

The new Primos Truth Elk DVD come available.....

Then the Wyo elk results.....

Then my B-Day on the 27th.....

The Primos 15 is schedule for delivery the 13th--UPS tracking.

Week of the 20th....Wyo elk results---

Week of the 27th ~~~~ ya know....ha

Robb

Kudos to Wyoming DOW for running the draw so quickly. Nothing worse than some of those other western states that sit on your money for a month or two. With most applications now being done on the computer, there is no reason those other states can't run these draws faster.

PS - My birthday is March 7th. Never received an early birthday gift from Wyoming in the past.......maybe this is the year!

Sorry, I haven't seen the responses until now. Maybe some of you read me wrong. I wasn't complaining that you guys drew a tag, or even that you find out early in the year. I was complaining that it takes residents so long to find out, especially for deer and antelope. In today's world with computer's, everyone should be able to put in and know the results, way before July, for crying out loud! That's all. It would make things way easier to plan for the fall. Didn't mean to insult anyone, and I have taken no insult back. Just something we always moan about, having to wait.:)

I would think they should be able to let us all know the deer and antelope results in a lot shorter time than they do if they can do the elk draw in just three weeks time from the close of the application period.

I think the timing of the deer and antelope draws reflects the fact that they want to see how bad the winter kill of those species was before deciding how many tags to issue. That's not much of a factor with the elk, particularly in the western part of the state where most of them are fed. I agree they could have the deer and antelope draws a little sooner though, as by mid-late April or thereabouts they should have a pretty good feel for how bad things were and adjust tag numbers accordingly.

It really does make me wonder when the NR deer and antelope application deadline is 3/15 and the Res Application period for all 3 animals is 5/1-5/31, yet the draw results are posted the same day. This year they say those should be up June 30 when it seems to me they could move the Res app. period up at least a month and have all the drawings done by June 1 at the latest. If a guy wants to archery hunt in August, it sure doesn't give him much time to get everything finalized. I would hate to have a job where I had to put in for vacation time way ahead of time and not be able to change if the draw results didn't work out. I know some places require at least six months notice of when you want to take time off and won't let you change.

Deer love - I'm hoping for a elk tag. Only doing points for deer until the herd recovers a little. Max points for both so my turn is coming...............some year!

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom