Where are the elk at?

ElkSniper

Very Active Member
We went out April 1st and found one fresh shed. We hit most of our hot spots that we could and didnt find any where we have years past. This brings me to my question....

Where are the elk at shed-wise?
What % has already dropped in your opinion?

Dropped for the most part in this part of the world? And, a few of them shed in our prearranged drop area - or near enough that I didn't have to go nuts hiking around. Although, it did take over an hour to find a second side to one set that laid just 40 yards away. The first side I found on the side of a road, and its 59-inch beam partner was about 6 yards off the road...I didn't check/understand the bank very well the first time.

good question! went out this weekend and found a good number of last years sheds but no freshies. saw a bunch of elk, but while hiking back in the canyons i saw 3 elk together, one was a 4x4, one was a spike, and the other didnt have antlers, but being this time of year and that they were together i assume it was a bull that had dropped. that being said, as of this past weekend. southern NM bulls look to be 33% ha ha

Thanks guys for the reply. I am also from NM and figured it would be a low %. Cant wait to get back out and look for some bone. Thanks again.

Here in Utah it doesn't seem to be a matter of what percentage of the elk have shed, but rather WHERE they have shed. Because of the light winter it seems the elk have vacated their normal winter areas. Guys around here are going to their honey holes and all they're finding is old elk sign and a few old whites.

Out of 20 or so bulls as of two nights ago 4 have shed so far. So its coming at least where I am watching em. And I agree this year will have people frustrated with finding sheds seeing as there aint enough snow to keep the elk low as usual.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom