Where the elk at? What would you do?

elks96

Long Time Member
After 5 days and 26 miles walked, I have found exactly 0 elk in my usual hunting area. In fact I managed to see only 2 elk tracks (cow and calf based on size). I just can not find the elk at all in unit 22 right now.

I am used to seeing few elk as I hunt marginal land to begin with just too avoid other hunters but this dry year might do me in.

So what would you do? I have hunted this same country for 9 years and have taken 6 archery bulls. I am very tempted to pack up camp and try someplace new like unit 32. I hate that idea, but at least there might be an elk.

So stick out you tried and true area despite a very grim outlook. Or risk making a big move in attempt to find some success....

Sounds like you put in plenty of footwork.......on an OTC tag I would bounce and find a better concentration of elk for sure. You can always go back and check your spots as the season progresses.

Move to where the feed is better. Those elk need to gain weight. If the feed isn't there then you need to go where it is better and you should start seeing animals. I hear people saying the elk are high this year because of the dryness of the valley below.

Good luck, Hondo

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom