Where to find a youth shotgun?

ELKLOVER

Two questions. Where would you look to find a decent used or new cheap shotgun for an 11 year old? Also, 410 or 20 gauge to start out? I'm thinking a pump 20, although I learned on a single shot. Any suggestions? My kids has only shot 22s and is somewhat scared of a bigger kick and a louder bang. I don't want to scare him away from it.

I say 20 gauge. Make sure the loads are trap loads to start with. Make sure the gun fits him and a pad on the stock would be helpful. I would look at gun swaps for a custom one that has been cut down and a pad added. They usually sell for less because of the alterations. Good luck!!! Don't take him out to shoot a box the first time.

2 cents DZ

LAST EDITED ON Oct-14-14 AT 08:47AM (MST)[p] I went through this with my son at age 11. He was about 5 ft 1 and weighed maybe 90 lbs. I looked all over and a gunsmith told me to buy an adult 20 gauge 870 or similar shotgun and an extra stock. Cut one down to fit him now and keep the other for the inevitable growth spurt.

He is now 17 and 6 ft 2 and weighs 210. That youth stock hasn't been on the shotgun for a long time. Just throwing that out as an idea.

Nemont

You can pick up new 870 Youth 20 guage for around $300. I can't imagine you could find anything used any cheaper that $200, so might as well buy new. My 10 yr old shoots it fine. The hotter loads do kick a bit though. Like someone else said, start out with trap loads until he gets a fill for it.

Thanks guys.

I saw Cabelas has a youth pump 20 gauge with 2 barrels and an extendable growing stock for about $330. That might be the way to go. I can't remember the brand.

Ok, my son is a pretty big 10 year old and was good sized last year a 9 and is gung-ho for anything hunting so take this with that in mind.

He shot a 12 ga. most of last duck season and did well never saying anything about recoil. He shot my daughters Stoeger Inertia driven semiautomatic which I feel kicks a bit less than a pump 12 ga.. A gas operated semi would kick a fair bit less and with light loads may be similar to the 20 ga pump IMO.

They sell quite a few different semis that are either youth or grow as you go, the Franchi Affinity and the Beretta A300 outlander are two I am looking at for my son, I believe that Remington makes a youth 11-87 as well as others I'm sure.

The guns I listed are twice as much as the one you spoke of so if that's a consideration then there's that, but I believe they are worth it if it is gonna get quite a bit of use. Most of the less expensive guns these day are junk throw aways . If you wanna get an 870 get an older one as everything I read about the newer ones is BAD!!!

Bill

People who work for a living are quickly being
overwhelmed by people who vote for a living.

1100 rem 20ga this gun will last him a lifetime, As he gets old he will move up to a 12 ga. Get another 1100, now he will have one(2o Ga) for Dove, quail and one(12 Ga) for duck, geese, pheasant, chukar, ect.
My 2 cents

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Mossberg has a youth 20 gauge pump that is very good and at a reasonable price. Has full rib barrel and very good recoil pad. I was training a small petite woman in using her Mossberg pump shotgun for home defense last week and was very impressed with the Mossberg youth shotgun she had.

RELH

My 10 year old is using my 870 12 gauge. I bought a youth stock for 30 bucks or so on amazon. Works great for him. He loves it. Hes got 2 ducks on the opener. Just missed a rooster yesterday. He couldnt find the safety. I guess a good problem.

Benelli makes a great youth shotgun in different calibers I have one for my grandchildren and it fits them fine and it is a 20 gauge and doesn't kick a lot I think it is because they have a recoil system in the stock. I won it at a Elk Foundation dinner

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom