Where's the rain?

300Shortmag

I know mild winters are looked at as being good for the midwest, but the last 2 days have reached about 80 degrees at my house. If it wasn't February I'd be excited with the nice weather, but now all I'm thinking about is the earlier dry fire season.

I really hope we get some weather soon, as I don't want to be hunting while stuff around me is burning.

We need some serious spring rains..........and they have come in the past.

I'm looking to get a position at a fire camp supervising inmates. They get paid around the clock from the time they get dispatched until they get home. I believe this is the perfect storm, no fires the last 2 years and no moisture this winter.
I know guys that have been away from home for up to 64 days in a row in the past. Their overtime checks for 2 months are more than most make a year.

BUT I'M hoping for rain, and lots of it. Screw the money, you can't hunt what ain't there.

This is what it looked like on Mauna Kea, Hawaii for todays sheep hunt.

6038c4.jpg

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

some of the guzzler down this way are just about empty all ready, so WE need water Bad

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

The drought of 76-77 produced larger than average trout out of the lakes near the Sierra crest, west of Tahoe. The deer hunting seasons remained about average, (of course we had deer back then). Dry camps and no camp fires. Fewer Mt quail and grouse.
Weather! Who knows!

I'm now in Western Lassen Co instead of Northern Plumas Co but it's basically the same area, 10-13 miles apart. We are in Sad shape my friends. No snow on the ground, no serious weather in sight, and no or very little snow up higher on the ridges.

This is by far, the driest winter i've seen in my 30+ years living on the mountain! Almanor is still up! They are letting very little water out, i guess, in fear of the poor run-off this spring. Farmers water is going to be in short supply and look for veggies and fruits to be way expensive this year.

Would be a excellent season to get your garden growing!!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

It rain here today.

Got an inch of snow today, and it didn't stick the first half of the day. And was only supposed to be a 10% chance. Tuesday night and Wednesday we are supposed to get between 4" and a foot. I guess there is still hope.

The best upland hatches seem to come when we get 1/2" of rain at least twice a month through early June. Vegetation does well. This doesn't equate to runoff with full streams and lakes but is great for antler growth and upland hatches on quail and chukar.

We'll see.

Make no mistake fella's California and most of the western U.S. is gearing up for a long dry fire season. Extended outlook is looking dry with little to no real wet storms and will continue that trend thinking till next fall at least.

" I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks"
Daniel Boone

we got about 6" of snow in the Mtns and the storm was headed east so I'm sure AZ got some of it.

We got dumped on last night. By far, biggest snow of the season.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Woke up to 12" of light dry snow this AM. Like Sage said, "It's the best of the year so far."

Regular rain through late May will make the vegetion grow. We can hope.

been raining steady here for 4 hours. Hoping for snow tonight so we can go coyote hunting in the morning.

4" of snow here so far..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

I dumped another 3.5" out of the rain gauge this morning. 7.5" since Wednesday. It started again about a half hour ago.

We didn't get much rain at all these past couple days but starting last Tues., we got a good dumping of snow, maybe a foot or so, and it's been sporadically raining and spitting snow since then. Nothing major but at this time and situation, it's good to see any moisture that we can get.

Joey

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom