Where's Zach????

Cookie2

Very Active Member
C'mon Paul. I know you guys have a ggod one anchored by now and I gotta see.... Too busy around here to come join in but my heart is right up there with ya'll.....

Long story short because trying to get ready for wifes VC hunt this weekend.

Had some very bad luck on this hunt. Including Zach taking a shot at a huge billy and getting the "click" no bullet in chamber and window of opportunity closed before could shoot again.

Making a 1.5 hours stalk to get in position for a shot on big billy and for the lack of literally 5 seconds they went over the top of the mountain just as he was getting a shot lined up.

However......................... Zach made a 525 yard shot on a real good billy and it is in a place we cannot get at him. We got some guys with harnesses and climbing stuff yesterday while meat and cape were still good, but, we could not get to it before dark and had to back out. Gonna try to get it out in next couple week. Will need to rappel off the cliff to get him out. He did not fall like we planned.

The people at the Deming information Center were very very helpful trying to find rock climbers to help us. Tag is punched and now we need to recover what we can.

Some pics, just no kill shot.

The modifications to Zachs pack to make it fit as per Hanks suggestion.

2011Ibexhunt014.jpg

Getting ready to pack in with visions of big ibex billies in our heads.
2011Ibexhunt002.jpg

2011Ibexhunt003.jpg

Closest thing to a flat spot we could find.
2011Ibexhunt004.jpg

First morning after hiking from camp to our glassing spot waiting for daylight.
2011Ibexhunt005.jpg

This was our blind as we waited for a big billy to show up. This is about 2 hours after the "click" moment. Zach stared holes into that mountain for 7 hours waiting for another shot which never happened.
2011Ibexhunt006.jpg

Next morning after we hiked in to another glassing spot waiting for daylight.
2011Ibexhunt012.jpg

This is the cliff that Zachs ibex now sits. There is a tiny white vertical slash on the top towards the left and he is right under that.
2011Ibexhunt013.jpg

Couple scenery shots.
2011Ibexhunt009.jpg

2011Ibexhunt011.jpg

congrats Zach on the kill. Cant wait to see the pics when you get him out. Paul if you need anything this weekend while in the VC feel free to give me a call.

I've taken a couple caving and rappelling classes the last 6 months just in case that scenario plays out for my archery ibex hunt! Good luck getting him guys.

I see you are bivy hunting as I plan to...if I may ask how much water are you carrying up? I expect to pack 5 gallons and come down when I run out...

>I've taken a couple caving and
>rappelling classes the last 6
>months just in case that
>scenario plays out for my
>archery ibex hunt! Good luck
>getting him guys.
>
>I see you are bivy hunting
>as I plan to...if I
>may ask how much water
>are you carrying up?
>I expect to pack 5
>gallons and come down when
>I run out...

We took almost 6 gallons of water. That is almost 50 lbs. Zach carried 50 lbs up and he is 13. He toughed it out.
In hindsight I did not see an advantage to staying up there. The way we hunt, we glass sometimes a couple miles away. If you got a big pack that terrain is very dangerous. I left my 10x binocs at home. To me they are not adequate up there. Carried 15x binocs, bogpod w/switcheroo. Zach carried the spotting scope.
We came off the mountain after the second night and glassed from a spot we hiked into from the bottom the next day.

Paul,Good luck to your wife!! I was working on the VC back in 2008 when you were hunting on the VC. I believe you hunted the southern portion of the unit when you punched your tag. I remember seeing your bull at the hunt HQ when you checked out. That's very nice place. Cant wait to see some pics of zach's billy as well as your wife's success. Good luck

>Paul,Good luck to your wife!! I
>was working on the VC
>back in 2008 when you
>were hunting on the VC.
>I believe you hunted the
>southern portion of the unit
>when you punched your tag.
>I remember seeing your bull
>at the hunt HQ when
>you checked out. That's very
>nice place. Cant wait to
>see some pics of zach's
>billy as well as your
>wife's success. Good luck

Thanks, that was a good day for me and Zach.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom