Which premium 10x42

Timberbuck

With Nikon,Zeiss and now Leica upgrading their glasses with ED glass I wonder if Swarovski will update their EL series anytime soon. I am trying to decide on which new glass to upgrade to (had Leica BN). I am hessitant to buy an EL in fear it will soon be upgraded?

Have not looked through the new Nikon EDGe, like the optics but not build quality of the Zeiss Victory FL (though several sources claim it is the brightest around). I'm thinking the new Leica Ultravid HD might be the cats meow (it is claimed to have 90% light transmission) and Leica's build quality and durability has always been the best.

Any thoughts

I think your right about the Lieca being the best choice as of now but I would definitely wait until the new Nikons come out before buying anything but thats my personal preference. From what I've read the Nikons are suppose to be incredible. If the Nikons are as good as they say they are than Swaro would almost have to upgrade the EL but it might take awhile for the upgrade.

They are all so good it would be very hard to tell the difference optically between them. The deciding factor should probably be which one fits you best ergonomically. You should test them all out first and not in the store either you need to get outside and spend at least 1 full day with each of them to test them out properly and only then will you know which ones are for you.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-29-08 AT 02:03AM (MST)[p]My Bn's were 10x50 and just too large and heavy .

The Ultravid HD is also around 8% brighter which would be a noticable improvement. So I should be able to go to a 42mm and have about the same brightness as the 50mm BN.

I have also heard the EDGe is awesome but I am looking at the overall qualities of the binos. The Leicas should be just as good optically but most likley built better than the Nikon.

I can't decide between these.
1 Leica Ultravid
2 Leica Geovid
3 Swaro EL
4 Sawro scl
Maybe the Geovid is in the lead for me.
flyingbrass
cold dead hands

I just bought the Swaro EL 10x42. I can't say enought about them. The reality is you can't go wrong with either Leica or Swaro, it really comes down to which you feel most comfortable with.

Brady

LAST EDITED ON Jul-03-08 AT 10:55PM (MST)[p]>Zeiss just came out with new
>rangefinder binos-this should complicate things
>further.

Hope you have extra deep pockets if you're looking at the Zeiss rangefinding binocular. Take the price of a Geovid and add about $1k ....

I have the Swarovksi 10x 42 El's awesome bino but the Leica's or the New Nikons is what I would be checking out before purchasing anything NEW

THE LORD IS MY ROCK
COLORADO,USA
NRA LIFE MEMBER
HUNTING PASS IT ON

I really don't see how the EL's could be improved enough to really make that much difference. EL's all day long for me but that's just me. I can sit behind those binos all day with absolutely no eye strain later.

I love my EL's. On various forums it seems guys are always comparing the other brands to Swaro ELs. To me,that says the ELs are the standard optically and their ergonomics are great. They just feel right in my hands.

A lot of it is just personal preference every one has their opinion and everyone's eyes are different.

I have had binos before that I thought were great and friends of mine could not get them to adjust to their eyes while other friends could.

Other than getting a pair of Vortex razors for a secondary pair of binos, I am now set with the El's and the Razors.

There will always be people who have to have the next greatest, biggest,newest thing out there nomatter what they currently have.

Other than getting a pair of
THE LORD IS MY ROCK
COLORADO,USA
NRA LIFE MEMBER
HUNTING PASS IT ON

couesbitten

Just my opinion but I the EL's are just the best Bino's I ever used for my eyes.

The razors are sharp and less than half the price of El's and awesome for the money.

Wanted a second pair of Bino's that I was not so worried about something happening to them. Something to keep in the truck at times and for the wife and friends to use when out scouting.

Was close to getting the Cabelas Bino's $899 they are some real nice glass they are made by Meopta but the Vortex warranty is just to good to pass.

I will not be getting rid of my EL's anytime soon but Vortex makes a great product for guys who are looking for a good glass without spending as much as the Big Name Brands.

THE LORD IS MY ROCK
COLORADO,USA
NRA LIFE MEMBER
HUNTING PASS IT ON

If you're looking for your best bang for the buck you can't go wrong with the Vortex Vipers or Razors.

If you've got to have European glass the new Leica HDs are probably the best glass out there right now. It'll be interesting to check out the new Leica spotting scope as I hear it's amazing.

Anybody had a chance to look through one?

I would agree with you on that prism.

The reason why I like the Razors better is just how they feel in my hands the Europeon styling makes them comfortable for me such as the focus location VS the Vipers not taking anything away from the Vipers they are a great bino for the money.

THE LORD IS MY ROCK
COLORADO,USA
NRA LIFE MEMBER
HUNTING PASS IT ON

I have a pair of 10x42 Geovids that I just love. I will probably be buying my son a new pair of bino's next year, and the razors or Vipers might be just what the doctor ordered.

Thanks for the info, Scott

Thanks for all the replys. I am not a guy that always has to have the best I just want to invest my $ wise.

From what I have read on various reviews the pre hd Leica ultravid is brighter than the SLC or EL Swarovski and almost as bright as the Zeiss Victory FL. I thinking of picking up a pair of ultravids and the extra $600-800 for a pair of the new Ultravid HD binos is not worth the 3% increase in brightness.

I have ruled out Zeiss because of durability factors and Swarovski because of several reports of internal fogging and the Ultravids being brighter-and the possibility of them upgrading the EL in the near future. Once again thanks for your responses.

I have Leica Ultravids and my good friend has the EL, both are 10X42.

Through all our back and forth testing we both feel my Leicas are brighter and his swaros are better ergonomically.

I got a deal I couldn't pass on with my leica but a part of me still wishes I had went with the Swaros. They are more comfortable on MY eyes.

?Here?s to the hero's that Git-R-Done!!?

Swarovski IS coming out with new EL's. Supposedly they are going to be THE bino to beat. With that comes a rumored MSRP of over $3900 US. I believe Swaro is going to unveil them come the 15th or so.

Went to check out what all the hype was on the new HD Leica. I still love my Swarvos.

Like many have mentioned its all preference. You're splitting hairs on this point in the game. I looked at Zeiss FL and thought they might be brighter but didn't like how they felt in my hand. The Leicas were not comfotable for my eye / eye socket.I think its all preference

LAST EDITED ON Jul-16-08 AT 11:02PM (MST)[p]Update- I decided on and bought the Zeiss Victory FL T.
I knew Swarovski would have to upgrade the El line soon as frankly they were behind the times in several areas but espically in brightness compared to the Leica Ultravid,Ultravid HD and Zeiss VIctory FLT. All things being equil I will not spend $2000 on a NIkon Japanese product. Its been a hard decision but I got a deal on the FLT for $1500. Swarovski's new glass will probibly be as good as the Leica and Zeiss but I not going to dish out that much cash for any bino.

My feelings are the Leica Ultravid HD and Zeiss Victory are the best options right now in premium binos-we will have to see what the new EL's go for but you cant go wrong with these two.

If they are actually $3900 I'm in the same boat as you. $2000 for binoculars is a big enough chunk of money.

I recently bought a Leica CRF 900 and that has me leaning towards Leica products anyway. I'm still several months away from buying a top of the line binocular, but if I come across a deal like you got on the Zeiss I may have them sooner rather than later.

Timber, congrats and enjoy!

This thread should serve as a reminder to anyone looking for top end glass to make sure YOU check out as many as possible in person, because what looks and feels good to me, might not be right for you.

I checked out the new Leica HDs yesterday and wish I hadn't. They were considerably brighter than the Swaros (compared them to the ELs) and I am biased - I own a pair of SLCs and consider them my most valuable tool in the field. I have been a satisfied Swarovski owner but if I was to choose again and even factoring in the difference in price, I'd take the HDs. No question....

I have the Pentax DCF ED's and I think they are as good as anything out there. I have a pair of Swaro EL's and I rarely use them due to the fact that the Pentax are lighter and are just as good if not better.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom