Which Sheep Species To Apply For?

waspocrew

I'm a UT non-res now for at least the next 4-8 years (Going to med school out in VA). There's one nice thing to being a NR and that is being able to apply to multiple LE and OIL hunts - That being said, I've got Mt. Goat points building, but thought it'd be a good time to add Sheep as well.

I know nothing about the UT sheep, but was curious about what species you'd recommend going for? Rocky Mountain Bighorns or Desert Bighorns?

Any help would be great!

>I'm a UT non-res now for
>at least the next 4-8
>years (Going to med school
>out in VA). There's one
>nice thing to being a
>NR and that is being
>able to apply to multiple
>LE and OIL hunts -
>That being said, I've got
>Mt. Goat points building, but
>thought it'd be a good
>time to add Sheep as
>well.
>
>I know nothing about the UT
>sheep, but was curious about
>what species you'd recommend going
>for? Rocky Mountain Bighorns or
>Desert Bighorns?
>
>Any help would be great!

Both!

There is just something about those Desert's that is REALLY cool!

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

Sounds like I better put in for both of them haha. Why not bump up my chances for both while I have the opportunity to. Thanks for nudging me in that direction!

Congrats on med school
You have your work cut out for you!
Both species are awesome to hunt, but if the sheep bug hit you, a desert permit will be the hardest tag to obtain in the future. I just completed an awesome desert hunt here in the Beehive state and I am glad I stuck it out. I was fortunate to also draw a Wyoming Rocky tag 10 years ago.
There are more Rocky tags to be had in other states so that's what I did and it worked out for me.
For now, for sure put in for both.
If you can get through school and end up practicing outside of Utah, you will eventually be able to afford to just buy a tag for both!
Best of luck Doc!

>Congrats on med school
>You have your work cut out
>for you!
>Both species are awesome to hunt,
>but if the sheep bug
>hit you, a desert permit
>will be the hardest tag
>to obtain in the future.
> I just completed an
>awesome desert hunt here in
>the Beehive state and I
>am glad I stuck it
>out. I was fortunate
>to also draw a Wyoming
>Rocky tag 10 years ago.
>
>There are more Rocky tags to
>be had in other states
>so that's what I did
>and it worked out for
>me.
>For now, for sure put in
>for both.
>If you can get through school
>and end up practicing outside
>of Utah, you will eventually
>be able to afford to
>just buy a tag for
>both!
>Best of luck Doc!

I appreciate the kind words! You're definitely right - it's been a lot of work so far. My escape for now is living through everyone else's adventures on this site for the next while!

I applied today and ended up going with:
LE Deer
LE Elk
LE Pronghorn
OIL Rocky Bighorns
OIL Desert Bighorns
OIL Mt. Goats

This NR thing isn't such a bad deal!