Which UT Ltd Entry hunt for dad?

huntjock

Hi:

I'd like to put my dad in for a hunt (public or CWMU) where he has a reasonable chance of drawing, where the terrain wouldn't kill him, and where he would have a good chance at a 320+ bull.

He is 73 and in fair shape but how much longer that will last is anyone's guess. He currently has 8 bonus pts. We've been putting him in for the Book Cliffs - Bitter Creek unit until now (where my brother and I were lucky enough to draw a few years ago), but considering his age and the odds...

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. If you don't want to post here, please email me at [email protected]

Big THANKS and happy hunting to all.

I've been in a similar situation. My dad turned 70 last August, but the lucky guy drew his elk in 2001, his deer in 2002, and antelope in 2003. I doubt that there are many that can say that.

The deer and antelope were both CWMUs. I spent a lot of time on the phone and looking at draw odds. He shot a 25" muley buck and a 14" antelope. He just flat got lucky with the elk and drew a Wasatch tag with 4 points.

I'd take a serious look at some CWMUs. There are several he could draw with 8 points. If he's not after a monster I think he could draw a Weber Florence Creek tag and have a good hunt, there are several others out there with about the same draw odds and 300ish bulls.

Most operators are good to work with, but they may be a bit burned out by public calls this late in the month.

As far as limited entry tags he'd have a good chance at a puans mzldr tag, Dutton mzldr, Lasal Mountains mzldr and rifle, Three Corners mzldr and rifle, Diamond Mountain mzldr and rifle, Boulder mzldr, Beaver mzldr, Thousand Lakes mzldr. Just to name a few.

Good luck in whatever you put him in for!

LAST EDITED ON Jan-23-04 AT 11:48PM (MST)[p]No advice on your dads elk hunt, just thought i'd mention my luck with the draw gods. Took 15 years to draw Pauns deer with max points in 2000. Drew Mt Dutton/Pauns Antelope in 2001 and then drew Pauns Bull elk in 2002.0 points. I hunted the Paunsaugunt 3 years in a row! Alas the draw gods are fickle and I fear alot of lean years ahead of me. Best of luck with your dad.

I second the Weber/Florence for him. My dad drew it in '01 and we had a ball up there. Lots of elk and quite a few 280-310 6x's seen. Huge area to hunt and absolutely no headaches from the CWMU folks. We had the whole southside of the CWMU to hunt on. We came in on the Weber river side driving past the Smith-Moorehouse camground turn off. Beautiful country. He should get one of the 'Bonus Point' tags with 8 pts going into the draw??

fin little

PAUNS. ELK TAG WITH 0 POINTS???

HELL,IT AIN'T NO WONDER I CAN'T GET AN ELK TAG WITH 8 POINTS!!!

THEY'RE(DWR) GIVING TAGS TO PEOPLE WITH NO POINTS!!!

IS THAT FAIR???

OH,I FORGOT,THE UDWR NEVER SAID IT WOULD BE FAIR!!!

HOW MUCH $$$ YOU SLIPPING IN THE ENVELOPE???

I CAN PLAINLY SEE I HAVEN'T BEEN SENDING ENOUGH!!!

WELL,WHILE YOUR BRAGGING,(he,he)LETS HERE HOW BIG THE 0 POINT BULL IS???

THE ONLY bobcat THINKING THAT BONUS POINTS = $$$ FOR THE DWR!!!

Bobcat, No extra money slipped in the app. The draw gods just showed mercy. I used up my luck with the draw. I didnt take a bull. I had one of the best hunts of my life but didnt fill the tag. I'm back to applying for deer and expect to wait many years, but you just never know.

Try CMWU Spring Creek down by Monitcello Ut, They have a lot of elk that will be around that 320 mark. Get ahold of Todd Black (aka Blanding Boy) or his brother Travis (aka Black predator)They have alot of elk on that CMWU and the hunt would fit your dad, Not a steep hill in the bunch.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-24-04 AT 10:30AM (MST)[p]Hunt Jock if your lookin for a good unit for your dad have him put in for the south cache unit they pulled a few big ones out of there last season the biggest went over 400 and I know for a fact that there are at least 4 more that size and will be huge this year. the terrain is pretty easy mostly sage flats mixed with pine and aspens. not real tough to hunt if he draws this hire me as your guide and i could put you on to one of these monsters. if he is just lookin for a 320 bull that will be easy to fill in this unit a lot of the bulls that i see on the winter range now are between 330 and 400 there are some brutes out there good luck with the draw if you have any questions email me at [email protected] there is also a LE Muzz hunt for that unit this year as well right in the heat of the rut should prove to be good hunting.

I think the odds of drawing a tag on the South Cache would be pretty steep with 8 points. But someone has to draw those hard to draw tags. I sure can't get it done in Utah!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom