Which Wyoming Sheep unit?

wymoose

I'm getting close in NR points to pulling a tag for sheep in Wyoming. I've always thought I would hunt 5 - as I know it the best. 24 would be really cool, but its probably out of the question for me. I was talking sheep the other day with a buddy and we were talking about 6 and 7. Does 6 alternate one tag to non-residents?

What's your opinion - those of you who know Wyoming sheep units. Should I hold out for 5? Or would I have a good chance at a 160+ ram in 7 - DIY.

WYmoose

This is only hearsay but I've heard 6 is kick-azz tough to even get a ram! You'd best check it out before you waste your precious points!

Zeke

How many points Moose? I drew this year with 15 nr points. Hunted area 3 with Meade Dominick. I understand area 5 is fantastic but I didn't want to wait. I had a fantastic hunt and killed a 168 ram.36"&38" horns with 14 5/8 bases. Meade can definately show you something over 160. I posted a picture of 3 rams that were with mine on the photo forum. Pm me if you want to talk.

+1 on Meade, call him before you apply.

Unless you have some inside info on other units stick with areas 1 through 5.

Ditto, to what has been said.
If you check the kill percentage in 6 and 7, it is pretty dismal for a tag you will probably only get once in your life.
I killed a nice ram several years ago in unit 4, with Fritz Meyer. That unit is almost all wilderness so for an NR you need a guide, but it was well worth it and we had a fantastic hunt. Everybody wants to hunt 5, but the surrounding units are all very good and consistently produce good rams, and very high success rates. IMHO

Another endorsement for Meade...I killed my Grand Slam Ram with him last year in Area 2....I know Fritz Meyer and Grizz Turner also are very highly regarded as Great Sheep Outfitters as well!

Good luck in your quest!

Thanks for the input and suggestions. I think I'll hold out for area 5. I've probably still got about 8 years until I draw 5, but you never know.

I plan on hunting them DIY and know 5 - so I think I'll stick with it for a OIL type hunt.

WYmoose

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom