Wife changes plans???

jodog

Very Active Member
My wife has been hounding me pretty hard about going elk hunting with me this next season. I have 4 points she has 0 for elk in WY. I was saveing them for a unit I have in mind with a good chance of killing a good bull. Question is if I put in with her in a lesser area say a general area does that give us both 2 points in the draw (averaged out) ? If we both draw I would lower my standards on the bull and just go for a great hunt and hopefully 2 bulls on the ground.

Yep, put in as a party with her for the General Tag and with your 2 point average you'll draw the tags with no problem. Last year it was almost 50% with less than 1 PP and 1 PP up was 100%. Start doing your research for general unit areas where there is good public land access with decent success rates, ask for help in areas you pick out, and then go and have some fun with her next Fall!!! You have plenty of time to do all that, but what are you waiting for, LOL!!!

My wife goes with me on about all my out of state hunts. she does hunt but doesn't really care if she hunts or not she just wants to see the country.

Does your wife really care if she's got a tag? or would she be good if you chose a hunt in a nice area it would be fun to see? I'd rather have one good tag than two so so ones and so would she. I have her building points too of course.

Just another way to think about the situation.

Get her a type 6 or type 4 as 2nd choice. Both of you build points and she gets her feet wet. You can build on the experience to know what to do next year.

Thanks for the info. trying to get a plan together before Jan. 31
She would be ok with just going with me but she wants a tag and a bull of her own and I thought this would be the best way to both have a tag. She would sell the farm to go hunting. She's been with me a couple times in NM but never had an elk tag.

Just a heads-up...Type 6 and 7 RP c/c are on a seperate different application so you could not do that as 2nd choice.

BUT you could do a Type 4 as 2nd choice if you apply her seperate than you 'cause as a group with 2 averaged pts you will draw the 'cheapie fee' Gen elk tag..... so no need for a 2nd choice.

Make sense?

Robb

LAST EDITED ON Dec-27-11 AT 07:00AM (MST)[p]If she's set on a bull tag of her own this year, then what I mentioned is the way to go. It also gives you a lot of areas to research and decide on by the time the hunt comes up next Fall.

Yea it's making sense, thanks...
I can't remember ...if you put in for a good unit on your first choice and do not draw that unit but you do draw your second choice in WY don't you keep your points? I thought you kept the points when drawing 2nd choice but a guy I was talking to last night said I was wrong he said in WY you lose your points no matter what choice you draw. Then he told me I was thinking of NM they let you keep your points.....thats when I stopped listening to him. NM has no points.

type 6 1st choice you keep your points, type 4 as a 2nd choice you keep your points. Special GEN tag as a 2nd choice you keep your points. Only on "full price", first choice, do you lose your points.

Thats what I thought but he keep saying I was thinking of another state and he is a Wyoming outfitter 2 or 3 generation, so he said.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-27-11 AT 01:34PM (MST)[p]Well, every College has a Doctor at the bottom of the class.
They talk about it right in the NR booklet.

AZ is where you lose points regardless.

There are NO points involved in Type 6 or 7 tags as they are a seperate application--- Reduced Price Cow/calf applications.

Nv. is another state ya loose your points no matter what choice you draw or if you get a leftover tag.

Robb

Another option if you don't mind paying the Special price is to apply for a tough draw in the Special draw and General as a second choice. Not sure what the odds of getting a General tag as a second choice in the Special draw is but i know it can be done.

That way you continue to build points and the 2 of you can hunt Wyoming elk together this year. You might even luck out and draw that tough tag on the random. Woemn seem to be lucky.

WapitiBob did mention that as a choice and it's pretty much assured to draw the tags, but over $2,000 for the two NR tags to save his PPs is a lot of money IMHO.

Plus going that route ---Special with a tough to draw LQ elk unit as 1st choice and Gen as 2nd...

If you DO draw the 2nd choice Gen elk---it isn't 100% anymore---

That would mean to keep your 'points' would cost you $480 each for the point.....

OUCH!! haha

Robb

$480 each to keep 4 PPs. An option, and something to consider if you're in my position. 50+ years old, each year is more important than the last, there aren't all that many left. Personally I wouldn't give up my max PPs for Wy elk to share with my wife. I wouldn't expect anyone to do that for me either.

Califelkslayer my wife agrees with you ..keep your points and we'll try to draw a gen tag. I'd share the points with her in WY but sharing my AZ (9)points ain't gonna happen. Still have a few weeks to decide.

There are a few units you could draw LQ and she could draw Gen that you both could hunt with date restrictions for her on the Gen tag.

But if ya both bow hunt --no date restriction as long as it isn't a Type 9 LQ tag you go for.

Robb

How about trying for 2 units that border each other? One General and one a decent draw, you would only need one gun then as well!

Hey nripepi, I've been thinking about something like that. Might try to draw a decent area and put her in for a general or put her in for for antelope. We both drew a good goat tag last year so neither one of us have any antelope points this year.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom